Penelty box blues

" I don’t want my strikers tracking full-backs — I want them up front, causing havoc in central areas.” Shez

Goodness knows when we last had a 20 goal a season striker. Strewth - It's hard to remember the last 15 goal a season striker!

So why has Oldham been a death sentence to reasonably adequate - on paper - strikers over the last few years? Dickov knew how to score himself so not to sure why he failed. LJ seemed to be more interested in a players speed and 'teamwork' rather than how many goals a striker could score. Is the above quote from Shez a sign that the problem has been identified or is the problem as simple as being that every single striker we have had in the last 5 years has been a donkey or simply surrounded by players who could only deliver a hot cross if it was a bun from Greggs?

Where have we been going wrong?

Pretty simple.

All managers of the past few years have favoured the cautious approach. And alongside that, the good strikers we've had haven't managed to settle or have been sold on before they can make an impact worthy of the status they now hold...

" I dont want my strikers tracking full-backs I want them up front, causing havoc in central areas. Shez

Goodness knows when we last had a 20 goal a season striker. Strewth - It's hard to remember the last 15 goal a season striker!

20 goals was Porter in 06/07.

15 goals was Hughes in 08/09.

Not too long ago. Just another OAFC myth that we never have goalscorers...

But what about the other 18 seasons in the last 20 years!!!!

Forte had 15 last season Beckett got 18 1 season Baxter got 15 in his full season Kuqi had around the 15 mark Abbott managed to score 13 in the most negative team we've had Eyres got 16 in the play off season.

Not many get 20 but it's only ever 5 players at most get 20 goals a season in the whole division so I don't think we are alone in this respect. Teams who do have a 20 goal striker either get promoted or lose/sell them in the summer.

I think a lot of it is down to anticipation and discipline get into the penalty area and get into position that's really all Beckett Porter and Hughes did and trust the othe players to find you.

" I dont want my strikers tracking full-backs I want them up front, causing havoc in central areas. Shez

So why has Oldham been a death sentence to reasonably adequate - on paper - strikers over the last few years? Dickov knew how to score himself so not to sure why he failed. LJ seemed to be more interested in a players speed and 'teamwork' rather than how many goals a striker could score. Is the above quote from Shez a sign that the problem has been identified or is the problem as simple as being that every single striker we have had in the last 5 years has been a donkey or simply surrounded by players who could only deliver a hot cross if it was a bun from Greggs?

Where have we been going wrong?

Bet shez would have got rooney scoring and playing upfront

Rooney had been screwed over financially by Swindon when he joined us.

He looked crap as a striker and a bit meh as a winger.

He moved on. Then got a £150k settlement out of Swindon. Then found his game again.

We were unlucky. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Rooney had been screwed over financially by Swindon when he joined us.

He looked crap as a striker and a bit meh as a winger.

He moved on. Then got a £150k settlement out of Swindon. Then found his game again.

We were unlucky. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Nah. Johnson thought he was taking us up, or getting us close enough to looking like we might to get himself a better job.

He was in far too much of a hurry to give his big summer signing any time and promptly replaced him with the more proven....errr....Jon Stead.

Interestingly, while Clarke Harris was our top scorer with 6 in 23 that season, Rooney's 4 in 16 was second only to Charlie McDonalds 5 in 15 in terms of goal ratio :lol:

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1924&teamTabs=stats

Higdon's 5 in 9 whlst trying to get Daring Dave his 0-0 draws looks better and better by the minute....

Edited by HarryBosch

I got 19 in 28 games playing masters for my local team ...from midfield two years ago. 12 last year. Make your free kicks count and park yourself on the edge of the box for corners. Who needs strikers?

If you are willing to play for a few bottles of beer and some old green shield stamps SC may give you a call. Assuming your convict status has passed Barry's due diligence of course.

Edit to translate into English

Edited by Stagger Lee

If you are willing to play for a few bottles of beer and some old green shield stamps SC may give you a call. Assuming your convict status has passed Barry's due diligence of course.

Edit to translate into English

That's more than I earn now...

Edit: I also have a red fleece.

It's been 14 minutes and still no call

Edited by L1onheartNew

That's more than I earn now...

Edit: I also have a red fleece.

It's been 14 minutes and still no call

Try Droylsden, they lost 9-0 last night.

Remarkably, in the same league on the same night New Mills also lost 9-0.

Another game finished 5-5.

Edited by BP1960

Try Droylsden, they lost 9-0 last night.

Remarkably, in the same league on the same night New Mills also lost 9-0.

Another game finished 5-5.

Those results on the same night have an air of betting syndicate about them, allegedly.