On to Barnsley

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good side barnsley. Won't be surprised if they sneak the last playoff place. If they don't and they keep that squad then it'll be a good shout to win the league next year

We were unlucky first half with injuries. Meant we didn't really get going and barnsley carved us open a few times. Goal was coming.

Didn't expect anything at half time but good spirited 2nd half got us back into it. Main and forte were superb and caused them problems all night.

Cassidy is an embarrassment. His only contribution tonight was to miss the ball for the goal - hes robbing a living as a footballer and I hope we somehow get rid in the summer. All he did all game was show no desire, forget how to jump and whinge at the players who were running their arses off all night.

Coleman deserves credit. He kept the score down a few times in the second half and pulled off some cracking saves.

Thought we were going to hold on but not to be. Silly challenge for the pen. No need to dive in and got done by a clever little routine from barnsley.

Barnsley have to have the worst home fans in the league. 8000 at home in a key game to help propel them closer to the playoffs and not one song heard all night.

Was a free night in some respects and I'd have rather lost tonight than any of the recent ones we've won

Edited by Rocky_Latic

"I will bring hard work good football and goals to the team" - Jake Cassidy at the beginning of the 2015-16 season

Now it would be very easy to hold this kind of quote against someone let's not its too easy. It's not worked out for him this season a season we all agree overall hasnt worked out he's had injuries and 3 different managers. I'm not expecting him to come good but while he's wearing a blue shirt I will give him the opportunity to do so.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Their goal was coming, several crosses we hadn't dealt with where they narrowly missed.

It seemed as though hardly anyone wanted the ball, playing poor passes which kept putting us under pressure especially in first half.

Cassidy makes it seem like we are playing with 9 players rather than 11. Hopefully a full pre-season with no injuries can do wonders for him. Until then, he shouldn't be anywhere near the team, injured players or not.

Main MOM, also thought J. Wilson played well, especially some of his tackles second half.

Stupid tackle from THM, but Diengs foul for the free-kick was also poor.

"I will bring hard work good football and goals to the team" - Jake Cassidy at the beginning of the 2015-16 season

Now it would be very easy to hold this kind of quote against someone let's not its too easy. It's not worked out for him this season a season we all agree overall hasnt worked out he's had injuries and 3 different managers. I'm not expecting him to come good but while he's wearing a blue shirt I will give him the opportunity to do so.

Don't see why there's so much negativity towards Cassidy. He started off well and then got a very nasty injury 2nd game.

Coming back from such an injury is not easy and to write him off after only a handful of games is typical of some of our fans.

I don't think he played too badly tonight and next term with a full preseason behind him I think he could surprise a few people.

In my opinion he has to be given a little more time to make an impact.....remember Adam Rooney?

Don't see why there's so much negativity towards Cassidy. He started off well and then got a very nasty injury 2nd game.

Coming back from such an injury is not easy and to write him off after only a handful of games is typical of some of our fans.

I don't think he played too badly tonight and next term with a full preseason behind him I think he could surprise a few people.

In my opinion he has to be given a little more time to make an impact.....remember Adam Rooney?

Imagine if he won a ball though...

I just don't see what he brings to the team, he doesn't win anything in the air, he struggles with it at his feet, he can't hold the ball up effectively, he doesn't score goals...

For me tonights result confirms relegation, no way i can see us winning another game from now until the end of the season. Just hope Blackpool self implode aswell

What?????

Give over, we'll win at Fleetwood and 5 more points will be more than enough to stay up at the expense of Blackpool.

For me tonights result confirms relegation, no way i can see us winning another game from now until the end of the season. Just hope Blackpool self implode aswell

?????

Seriously? Battling like we did tonight, I fully expect us to get the points to stay up... Starting with three on Saturday.

Couldn't make it tonight due to work - after being euphoric on Saturday night, I can't understand why I am as flat as a pancake now (best I hoped for was a draw tonight). Think the fact that Palmer has gone plus what sounds like a few nasty injuries tonight is giving me the willies. Please help !

Feel exactly the same. Typical Latics to produce such massive highs followed by worrying lows. I'd have every confidence in the team that beat Swindon / Walsall to stay up. Not as confident if we end up relying on the likes of Brown, Mills and Croft to step in and make up the numbers. Hope Dom Poleon can make a reappearance soon.

Stupid tackle from THM, but Diengs foul for the free-kick was also poor.

Agreed. The free kick challenge was as poor as the one for the penalty.

Barnsley supporting friends view was that we played well and felt that a draw was deserved.

First half was flat and disrupted by the injuries. Wilson looked very serious, never saw his legs move from the moment he landed to thre point he was stretchered off.

Thought we might hang on until HT but sadly we seemed to fall asleep at the corner and we conceded a soft goal - though they put some decent crosses in all night.

Second half we came out and looked organised and up for it and generally a much better game of football all round.

Good goal - Forte and Main again - and felt we could have gone on to nick it, but Barnsely did well to keep heads up and the game ebbed and flowed until the penalty. After that we struggled to get some momentum but did get some pressure at the end and had a chance in the last few minutes to get a point.

Cassidy. Whilst there was a lot to criticise him for tonight I still thought it was his best performance I have seen. He looks over weight and labours, but showed some of the ability that Main / Holloway have to hold the ball up more than any previous game. Hat said he is too slow and not aggressive enough - things that maybe a injury free pre season could fix?

Can always find faults when you lose, but in reality it was a game we should have got something out of and whilst it doesn't help our relegation woes I am still hopeful we have enough to stay up.

Yes, I also remember Warren Feeney. We shouldn't assume all strikers that are hopeless with us will go on to be goal-machines somewhere else, just because Rooney did.

I didn't go to the Walsall game or the game where he got injured. but did Cassidy play like Messi or something? Everyone goes on about these games as the yardstick for which we should judge him, when really the overwhelming evidence suggests he's not up to it.

Edited by JoeP

Yes, I also remember Warren Feeney. We shouldn't assume all strikers that are hopeless with us will go on to be goal-machines somewhere else, just because Rooney did.

I didn't go to the Walsall game or the game where he got injured. but did Cassidy play like Messi or something? Everyone goes on about these games as the yardstick for which we should judge him, when really the overwhelming evidence suggests he's not up to it.

A broken clock is right twice a day...

I'm sure he will come good after that all important pre season though.

Stuart "Jigsaw" Barlow was considered a waste of space at BP but went on to do OK at Wigan.

If lots of players don't score goals maybe we don't create chances?

That said, Cassidy needs to improve. Get fit and as engaged as Main and maybe he could be a player

Stuart "Jigsaw" Barlow was considered a waste of space at BP but went on to do OK at Wigan.

If lots of players don't score goals maybe we don't create chances?

That said, Cassidy needs to improve. Get fit and as engaged as Main and maybe he could be a player

He came back in November.

Serious injury or not, fitness can't be an issue at this stage.

Cassidy. Whilst there was a lot to criticise him for tonight I still thought it was his best performance I have seen. He looks over weight and labours, but showed some of the ability that Main / Holloway have to hold the ball up more than any previous game. Hat said he is too slow and not aggressive enough - things that maybe a injury free pre season could fix?

I agree with everything in your post apart from that. He was awful last night and may as well not have been there - the highlight being when he kicked his own leg rather than the ball in a decent shooting opportunity.

Hopefully a pre-season will help him, like you say. He bullied the Fleetwood defence in the home game before he got injured, so he's got it in him somewhere. The question is whether Sheridan gives him another chance, because he'll surely try and sign Holloway who's a much better player.