This perfectly (or, at least, better) run club we'd all love and some of you demand/expect.....

....how would it look, how would everything work, what would be different?

eg, What could/should we do (realistically) to increase this £1.3m ish playing budget?

......What kind of contracts should we be offering - length and wage...

......Who would you get in as manager, how much would you pay him?

......What would you change off the field to bring more money in etc...?

And anything and everything else? How would you like to see things done differently at OAFC and how would that be doable, why & how would it work (or work better)?

a) under the current ownership - (how and why should Corney do/spend more or do other things differently?)

b ) under realistic new ownership (if that exists)/fan ownership

................???

Edited by HarryBosch

Their isn't an easy answer to this for a club our size.

Personally I want someone in charge who can recruit undervalued players so we can become a home for the unloved whether they are from a championship or PL reserves or from non league. Find value in the transfer market a manager with an in depth knowledge of players and a scouting network to match something that we have managed in the past in fact the only times we have ever been successful it has been because of this. When that manager player scout leaves we replace him with someone who can do the sane thing.

Edited by GlossopLatic

All I've ever wanted is a businessman owner who is also a latics fan. Someone who understands what we want and expect as fans but who also ain't gunna send us under giving it everything we have and more which we haven't.

We have only ever had business men who quite frankly when it comes to the crunch couldn't give a :censored:ed about us

- You would start with some sort of longer term plan I.e 3-5 years.

- you would have the ultimate goal of xxxx average attendances and promotion to championship within this time. (Or in Corneys case a more saleable proposition).

- you would set out the expectations to the fans of this and the steps you are going to invest in and get behind to provide the structure and stability.

- you would look at the ways that lower league clubs have over achieved successfully on smaller budgets whether that be investing budget in scouting lower league/ non league, building a better youth and reserves set up to blood new players, or overspending on a long term 'successful' manager. (I appreciate there is no guarentee of success but taking punts on rookies is not the way forward here).

the reality is we are in state of short termism because we are up for sale. There is no plan beyond staying up every season...that isn't inspiring and doesn't allow any progress.

Edited by Blue_Guru

Very accurate summary blue guru. I can live with finishing 17th, hec I can even live with us taking a couple of steps backwards if that's the way it pans out but we as fans need to know there is a vision for this club, a long term plan with the ultimate objective of mounting a realistic and sustainable campaign to get us challenging in this division on a regular basis. Is that too much to ask? We need some hope for the future and we haven't got it under the current regime. That is what is killing the club.

Very accurate summary blue guru. I can live with finishing 17th, hec I can even live with us taking a couple of steps backwards if that's the way it pans out but we as fans need to know there is a vision for this club, a long term plan with the ultimate objective of mounting a realistic and sustainable campaign to get us challenging in this division on a regular basis. Is that too much to ask? We need some hope for the future and we haven't got it under the current regime. That is what is killing the club.

Yep, there's no clear objective or ambition in mind on the pitch for the fans to associate with or rally behind. We don't know the direction the board are pulling in which is why there are so many conflicting thoughts and opinions.

The contradictions in Barry's messaging highlights the lack of this direction from the people at the top.

All most fans want is a bit of clarity for the best intentions for their club that they have invested a lot of time, money and emotions in.

The problem is we probably won't like to hear the strategy as it will highlight that the football side of things isn't the priority, it's repaying the debt in any means possible.

Fine. If that's the truth then at least it will be out and fans might then have cause to pull together to something about it. Being kept in the dark is preventing fans from uniting as many don't see that the current regime is killing OAFC (the 'if it wasn't for corney we wouldn't have a club' brigade)

Interesting post.

I think the lack of any concrete ideas and answers highlights the challenge we are facing as a club.

Strategic plans / direction statements / local ownership etc all sound nice, but in reality what is actually needed to change our lot?

How do we attract a manager that will bring talent to the club and success in the pitch?

How do we keep said manager and playing talent long enough to have a genuine impact?

How do we increase the size of our fan base?

Clearly finances are a key aspect of this.

Our financial position is one that means our budget is low, therefore attracting managers and players is difficult. Hence I understand the gambles on unproven cheaper managers that may turn out to be good.

However, now as for many many years, we are a club that needs to sell talent to balance the books, so the couple of occasions recently where a flicker of hope has exisited - financial necessity and personal ambition have seen that fail.

Boosting the budget is either reliant on an individual that wants to waste their money (and that is restricted by Financial Fair Paly) or by trying to increase revenue. The former is both unlikely and also fraught with risk of that individual pulling out and the club being in real financial trouble.

Therefore it is the latter. And this is not easy. The new stand (and attempts to find a new ground before it) on the face of it shows some recognition of this and a plan of sorts to improve it - I don't know the financial truth behind all the Brassbank rumours and speculation.

Financing a new stand given the clubs situation was never going to be easy - this might be a plan that takes 5-10 years to have a real benefit for the club ie build it but use the income to pay for it before finally can start to contribute to the playing budget? If so should we not have done it?

The other way to boost money is be successful - and that in essence is what happened in the "Pinch me" era. A club that was struggling for support, that sold players regularly and rarely looked like progressing got a young inexperienced manager who for little money put a team together that was successful enough to boost the coffers enough to allow us to compete for a period of time.

What do I want to see happen?

I want the club to be run on a financially stable footing - if that means bottom half of League One, then so be it.

I would like to have knowledge about the clubs financial position - what does the P&L look like, what is on the balance sheet, what are the lengths of contract agreed with the various new assets etc. This would tell people whether we have the above or not.

However it's not realistic to expect that level of disclosure in the real world, but potential buyers would need to see it.

If the investment in the new stand represents the long term route to future progress then that is fine and understandable. Communication to that effect and some reassurance that there is a plan is long overdue however which makes me extremely suspicious. The club will lose more fans if it continues in this manner and any increased income from the stand will be offset by reduction in ticket sales and we will be no better off. The club needs to manage this situation.

If the investment in the new stand represents the long term route to future progress then that is fine and understandable. Communication to that effect and some reassurance that there is a plan is long overdue however which makes me extremely suspicious. The club will lose more fans if it continues in this manner and any increased income from the stand will be offset by reduction in ticket sales and we will be no better off. The club needs to manage this situation.

there has been comunication on that fact via simon brooke just as usual folk on here choose to ignore or willfully misinterpret such statements to fit theyre agenda. the club have stated that the moneys from the new stand are splitt matchday revenue goes to the playing side of the club moneys from non matchday side are going to clear the debt for the construction of the stand in the long term a good thing clears the clubs debts faster freeing up finances in the future short term not so good . would love to see all the money from the new stand going in to the playing side but we would then still have an ever rising debt for said new stand hanging over us ALA Bolton pompey rushden etc

Needs a bit more than the odd passing reference to the role the stand plays am afraid. Articulation of a plan for this football club which goes further than merely beyond pointing to some undefined point in time when the stand will give us a bit more cash for the playing budget. That is not a vision.

A couple of things, just in case that millionaire Latics fan never comes out of hiding:

- Pay for a decent manager. The manager should always earn more than the players.

- Bring the marketing and thinking behind the club into this century. It might be a myth that our board were impressed by Darren Kelly/Lee Johnson because they used Powerpoint, but the handling of the Ched Evans fiasco in the media was unbelievable. "We weren't expecting such a backlash" a couple of days after Jessica Ennis made the headlines for threatening to pull sponsorship at Sheffield United when they were considering signing him. We just came across as a bunch of backward idiots who still use carrier pigeons to communicate.

A couple of things, just in case that millionaire Latics fan never comes out of hiding:

- Pay for a decent manager. The manager should always earn more than the players.

- Bring the marketing and thinking behind the club into this century. It might be a myth that our board were impressed by Darren Kelly/Lee Johnson because they used Powerpoint, but the handling of the Ched Evans fiasco in the media was unbelievable. "We weren't expecting such a backlash" a couple of days after Jessica Ennis made the headlines for threatening to pull sponsorship at Sheffield United when they were considering signing him. We just came across as a bunch of backward idiots who still use carrier pigeons to communicate.

I'd imagine the untested cheap methodology goes beyond first team management.

Marketing / media roles etc are probably the same.

To be fair I think Corney said this was the plan and why we were building a new stand in the first place.

But as you say, what the fans want to know has this plan changed because we had to find alternative funding from Blitz and Gazal and the company in Liverpool. IIRC we were told money from the new start to flow through into the playing budget this season, is this still the case? It would seem not to me....... it's these types of answers I'm looking for.

If there is a plan, whatever it is, share it with the fans....... I'm sure we will be more patient if we know.

Name one club where the manager earns more than the players

Name one club where the manager earns more than the players

Manchester United. Watch the documentary on Alex Ferguson that was on the tele a while back..

Edited by JoeP

Their isn't an easy answer to this for a club our size.

Personally I want someone in charge who can recruit undervalued players so we can become a home for the unloved whether they are from a championship or PL reserves or from non league. Find value in the transfer market a manager with an in depth knowledge of players and a scouting network to match something that we have managed in the past in fact the only times we have ever been successful it has been because of this. When that manager player scout leaves we replace him with someone who can do the sane thing.

Big Joe back then?

If we're not earning anything substantial from the deal, a cut to the SportsDirect association.

A vile company.

The perfectly run club can come in many forms. The attribute maybe most important is openness and accountability, though. We don't have enough of that, and it's tearing fans apart.

Manchester United. Watch the documentary on Alex Ferguson that was on the tele a while back..

That was the discussion he claims lasted just a few seconds and ended with him doubling his wage and an agreement no player would ever earn more than him.

Nice work.

That was the discussion he claims lasted just a few seconds and ended with him doubling his wage and an agreement no player would ever earn more than him.

Nice work.

Keeping Rooney was a smart move then.