Jimmy Frizzell

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure a statue is the right way to go but there should be absolutely no question that the new stand should be named the Jimmy Frizzell stand in his honour

This is a no brainer for me and maybe the trust or the fan on the board, whatever we have nowadays can raise it with the club?

We may be struggling as club currently but we should never forget the players or staff of Oldham Athletic from our past history.

RIP 'Sir' Jimmy Frizzell

PAart of the reason I did the polls, Feel sure the stand would be overwhelmingly popular, but was not sure on the statue. However, the statue does seem poular too. We then have something solid to go to the Trust & Club with.

Terrible news. It comes when we're all feeling rather down about the club as well.

Like many 30-40-ish somethings, he was at OAFC slightly before my time supporting, although he was City manager (didn't he coin the phrase 'yard dogs' after Milligan and Henry harrassed the City midfield in our 2-1 there in 87?). But yeah, by taking us from bottom division no-marks to a solid 2nd division team, he deserves every drop of fond remembrance he gets. If Joe Royle was the Stone Roses, Jimmy Frizz was The Smiths.

Legend.

Terrible news. It comes when we're all feeling rather down about the club as well.

Like many 30-40-ish somethings, he was at OAFC slightly before my time supporting, although he was City manager (didn't he coin the phrase 'yard dogs' after Milligan and Henry harrassed the City midfield in our 2-1 there in 87?). But yeah, by taking us from bottom division no-marks to a solid 2nd division team, he deserves every drop of fond remembrance he gets. If Joe Royle was the Stone Roses, Jimmy Frizz was The Smiths.

Legend.

Yeah he coined the phrase yard dogs but it was meant in a derogatory manner about Milligan & John Kelly after we beat City 2-1 at Maine Rd (Tommy Wright (2)

Henry made himself more a first choice within the 12-18 months afterwards.

Edited by palmer1

Very sad news, he was manager for my very first game in 1973.

As Prozac has said above, he laid the foundations for what we later achieved under Royle.

Loyal servant and great club man, Latics Legend.

RIP

You came in to see Alan Groves in full flight too.