Jimmy Frizzell

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Frizzell we were a Hartlepool or a Halifax town - synonymous with obscurity and fighting off being voted out of the football league year after year - when he left we were classed a solid second division team. Royle took us to the glory years, and we love him for it, but Frizzell built the foundations of our club for sure.

If they build a statue - make it one with him in his sheepskin coat holding a bottle of whiskey awarded as manager of the month!

Very sad news indeed. I second every comment made about him on here. I remember as a kid getting his autograph a few times, never said no.

One particular memory I had of him was reading a report in the chron after a game against Newcastle, we had just been beaten by a late goal that weekend, about 6mins stoppage time, and it shows a picture on the back page of Frizz berating the ref with the headline: " Have you got a mickey mouse watch or something?". I just imagined him saying it in that broad Scottish accent of his. Tickled me for ages.

Man deserves permanent recognition.

R.I.P.

Very sad news. The passing of a true gentleman and legendary Latic. Solid hard as nails player. As manager took us from bottom of the old fourth division to the second division (championship) in under 4 years and kept us there. Signed Alan Groves and many other top players.

I agree with the comments above that some form of permanent memorial of him and his achievements is deserved and appropriate.

RIP Sir Jimmy and sincere condolences to your family.

Guest nonaenever

Have a lump in my throat on reading this - and that's not happened regarding football since the day I heard Alan Groves had died. One word sums it up for me regarding Frizz - LOYALTY - an exceedingly rare commodity in these days of pure greed.

RIP - and the stand should deffo be named after him.

Can't quite believe how sad I feel.

Sad news hearing of his passing .

We were fortunate enough to have two incredible managers in a 24 year period.

He laid the foundations for what was to follow , taking the club from the depths of division 4 becoming a constant item in Division 2 (the Championship today) , punching well above our weight and playing good football to boot.

RIP Jimmy.

If the club don't name a stand then we could always crowd fund a statue

I quite like the idea of both. Appreciate the club can only do so much, and they need to be given time to think it through with more pressing things on their mind. But a statue paid for by the fans, easing the financial pressure on the club would be welcome. And I feel would have no problem raising funds.

If the club don't name a stand then we could always crowd fund a statue

Fulham crowdfunded a statue through Tifosy while we did the scoreboard. It was £100,000 target.

While that may be out of range, I bet it'd raise more than a scoreboard, and you may get the odd City fan chipping in. Could be worth pursuing.

Very sad news. As for others, he was before my time but he was undoubtedly a Latics legend, in the greatest sense of the word.

Ten years a Latics player and even longer as manager, overseeing promotions and laying the foundations for Joe Royle's heroics.

RIP Jimmy Frizz.

Not sure a statue is the right way to go but there should be absolutely no question that the new stand should be named the Jimmy Frizzell stand in his honour

This is a no brainer for me and maybe the trust or the fan on the board, whatever we have nowadays can raise it with the club?

We may be struggling as club currently but we should never forget the players or staff of Oldham Athletic from our past history.

RIP 'Sir' Jimmy Frizzell