Jimmy Frizzell

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although in the old 4th and 3rd Divisions some of my most enjoyable times were watching Jimmy Frizzell's teams, attacking football and players you knew season after season.

R.I.P Jimmy.

Edited by BP1960

Frizz was before my time but the significance of his contribution to the club has never bypassed me. Looking through the history books and speaking to older fans you learn he played in pretty much every position and a couple of years he was top scorer. His managerial tenure was a great success and he alone achieved 40% of our promotions. He signed many Latics legends like Fryatt, Groves, Stainrod et al. He established us as a force in the now championship and it was testament to the huge strides made under him that the board sacked him in 1982 because we had not launched ecough of s challenge at the top end of a league that included the likes of Newcastle United.

Without Frizz I don't think we would have had the good times under Joe, today the royal blue looks a little darker.

RIP Sir Jimmy, thanks for everything you did for my club.

And sincere condolences to his family and friends

I also suggest like Singe that as a fitting tribute we rename the north stand - some things are more important than sponsorship

Is it worth setting up a petition?

It's the least the club could do for a man whose history is so profound

Obviously before my time but his legacy is etched firmly in the history of the club, RIP Jimmy and condolences to his family. I hope we can come up with a fitting tribute.

It's 8 years today since Ernie Cookey died, too.

Edited by PlayItLivo

I also suggest like Singe that as a fitting tribute we rename the north stand - some things are more important than sponsorship

Unfortunately, sponsorship will bring more money in than sentiment will. I wholeheartedly agree with you though.

Get my dad talking about Jimmy Frizzell and you'll struggle to shut him up. True legend. We'll never see the like again...

I'm gutted, really upset about this.

So very sad, my deepest condolences to his family.

He was always Mr Oldham Athletic to me, always will be. If SC has one ounce of care for the clubs fans - and I guess it has been a love / hate relationship for both sides - Then the North Stand becomes the Jimmy Frizzell stand ASAP.

Unfortunately, sponsorship will bring more money in than sentiment will. I wholeheartedly agree with you though.

Get my dad talking about Jimmy Frizzell and you'll struggle to shut him up. True legend. We'll never see the like again...

Agree, lets be honest we need the money, so as a compromise we do both, The xxxxxx Frizzell Stand, as long as it is not too long of course. No sponsor at the moment though,s o for now. We can always make it unofficially the Frizzell Stand and refer to it as that on here.

If ever a man deserved a statue.

Edited by singe