Rick Holden - article in Times

They best left foot I saw was Alan Groves, the ball seemed attached to it with string.

Fantastic player for Latics and a superb dribbler and entertainer but crossing I think often let him down, nowhere near Holdens standard but still one of my all time favourites.

Groves was indeed great at beating his man or more often men. Unfortunately he just couldn't cross a ball. I remember seeing him play against a South American team in a friendly. They tried 6 different full backs and putting up to four men on him. None of it worked he constantly got in a position to cross but did not find an Oldham player all night. As a result they won 1 nil as their centre forward scored from the half way line.

Groves was indeed great at beating his man or more often men. Unfortunately he just couldn't cross a ball. I remember seeing him play against a South American team in a friendly. They tried 6 different full backs and putting up to four men on him. None of it worked he constantly got in a position to cross but did not find an Oldham player all night. As a result they won 1 nil as their centre forward scored from the half way line.

I bet that Groves won more penalties than all the others put together and sometimes the defenders actually touched him!

IMO Ricky was a similar type of wide player to Beckham, didn't need to take on his man, just put the ball at an angel and whip it round him...amazing. My Oldham hero! Best crosser of the ball we've ever had in my generation......????

:censored: all like beckham. :censored: post.

Chris Waddle was a fantastic player , Spurs beat us 4-2 on the plastic in the Cup one year , and he was unplayable.

I recommended him when he was in non league to the first division club I was with, only to be told by the assistant manager he wouldn't ever make a football league player. 6 months later he signed for Newcastle. it's all about opinions though, some you win some you lose.

Edited by BP1960