Rick Holden - article in Times

This week the Times are publishing a series of articles on 'Building England's greatest footballer. Today is Day 2, left foot. The first person proposed is Rick Holden (proposed by Oliver Kay). His competitors are Stan Bowles, John Barnes, Jimmy Greaves, Sir Tom Finney, Chris Waddle, Stuart Pearce and Ashley Cole.

Only one winner! Vote Rick today.

Waddle for Bradford vs us in '97, one of the best individual performances I've seen in the flesh.

Close to becoming our manager after Ritchie too I believe.

Not old enough to ever see him play during his career, so only going off videos it seems amazing a player can have such success repeating a skill so often - shoulder-drop.

He's the sort of player I wish still existed. How rare to find one who actually looks to take somebody on these days. This team is a perfect example of the fear that footballers have instilled into them.

IMO Ricky was a similar type of wide player to Beckham, didn't need to take on his man, just put the ball at an angel and whip it round him...amazing. My Oldham hero! Best crosser of the ball we've ever had in my generation......????

IMO Ricky was a similar type of wide player to Beckham, didn't need to take on his man, just put the ball at an angel and whip it round him...amazing. My Oldham hero! Best crosser of the ball we've ever had in my generation......

But Ricky could beat his man, unlike Beckham.

This week the Times are publishing a series of articles on 'Building England's greatest footballer. Today is Day 2, left foot. The first person proposed is Rick Holden (proposed by Oliver Kay). His competitors are Stan Bowles, John Barnes, Jimmy Greaves, Sir Tom Finney, Chris Waddle, Stuart Pearce and Ashley Cole.

Only one winner! Vote Rick today.

They best left foot I saw was Alan Groves, the ball seemed attached to it with string.

Waddle's clearly better than all of those people put together but I'll vote Rick.

Surprised Leeslover didn't mention Giggs. Did you ever pay me that tenner? What about the Rooney / Owen one? Or was it two?

Giggs is Welsh.

They best left foot I saw was Alan Groves, the ball seemed attached to it with string.

Worth paying entrance money just to see his skills alone.First saw him when he played for Shrewsbury? and wished then he would play for us.