Doncaster (h)

He hasn't changed a single thing yet to show otherwise has he?

I didn't mention learn / improve. He is a defensive manager.

Ian Marshall started out as a centre back. I used to really hate sprouts. Sometimes things change.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst Banks is quite slow and not the best defensively but he looks to move the ball forward and looks to be one of the few who can control the ball.

If we can sort out the positional aspect of Fane's game then their is a potential partnership there between them two. Midfield looked alot more balanced with them two alongside each other.

Also, if we had a few of our midfielders carrying injuries or cramp, maybe it was wise to put an extra body in there?

Maybe it's just 20 years of disappointment that's done it but don't see why people are so keen to pick holes in a win. Pawel's Law and all that. Saw a tweet yesterday moments after we took the lead bemoaning the fact that it was a midfielder not a striker that scored it.

We don't get much to shout about these days, we won and we're in the next round. May as well enjoy it!

I'm very happy with a win and overall the performance was decent but his change made a comfortable win far more jittery than it should have been.

Erwin off for Osei stretching the game would shown more intent and give us a option but Law in midfield who barely got near the ball asked for trouble as McKay was totally isolated and the ball kept coming back.

A better side could have punished us. I don't understand why some can't see that! We played a understregth Donny side and we just held on in the end.

It's great we are in the hat for the 2nd Round but if he does similar next week and Wimbledon God forbid equalise i or win it late on due us sitting back will everyone be as happy?

Edited by palmer1

Ian Marshall started out as a centre back. I used to really hate sprouts. Sometimes things change.

What has that got to do with Robinson!?

To your point Royle preferred him at the back! It's why he had to leave.

I still don't like sprouts and Winchester still can't hold down a first team place. Something's never change!

Edited by palmer1

What has that got to do with Robinson!?

To your point Royle preferred him at the back! It's why he had to leave.

I still don't like sprouts and Winchester still can't hold down a first team place. Something's never change!

Your post had a lot of absolutes.

Regarding the substitution, normally I'd agree with you about inviting pressure but if a lot of players were struggling then we had to put fresh legs in there surely? If he had other subs left he might have brought on pace as well to stretch them.

Your post had a lot of absolutes.

Regarding the substitution, normally I'd agree with you about inviting pressure but if a lot of players were struggling then we had to put fresh legs in there surely? If he had other subs left he might have brought on pace as well to stretch them.

Make a sub my all means but why a defender in midfield? Why not Osei or Martin to stretch the oppo. My argument is about his overall mentality not about the fact we scraped a win. It should have been comfortable...

Banks should be fresh, Flynn and Fane didn't start. That midfield should be able to cope without Law in there shouldn't it?

Make a sub my all means but why a defender in midfield? Why not Osei or Martin to stretch the oppo. My argument is about his overall mentality not about the fact we scraped a win. It should have been comfortable...

Banks should be fresh, Flynn and Fane didn't start. That midfield should be able to cope without Law in there shouldn't it?

I don't know if I'm being honest. Just offering a possible reason for it.

Flynn apparently had knocks on both ankles and Banks hasn't played in weeks so cramp understandable. Law was the only option as he can play defence and midfield. Wilson nope, osei and Martin are forwards.

I get what you're saying and we may have won 3-0 if he had gone that way. But it also could have meant we got outnumbered in midfield as Fane would have been doing it all by himself.

Guest nonaenever

There have been plenty of successful defensive managers

I think the key to your post is your use of the word "successful" - not a word you could remotely apply to us currently, even if you chewed on magic mushrooms for an hour or two.

I think the key to your post is your use of the word "successful" - not a word you could remotely apply to us currently, even if you chewed on magic mushrooms for an hour or two.

We're 15 games into his first season as a manager, at a club which had a whole new squad on a :censored: budget

Offers less than Winchester defensively?!! Winchester offers nothing defensively. He went off yesterday because it was too cold I reckon.

He brought more joy to my fluttering heart in those precious few minutes than the rest of the team combined did in 90

Guest nonaenever

We're 15 games into his first season as a manager, at a club which had a whole new squad on a :censored: budget

I know - squad still needs time to gel and all that - we are all entitled to opinions but having watched football for a long time (and possessing at least half a footballing brain) I`m afraid I have to put our manager in the "poor" category (and I don't mean financially). Management is about getting the best out of what you have. We have regressed after a fairly decent start to the season (with some tough games). We looked far better early season i.e. before management had imposed their style - that, in itself, should speak volumes to everyone.

He hasn't changed a single thing yet to show otherwise has he?

I didn't mention learn / improve. He is a defensive manager.

You talk about his defensive substitution. Flynn and McGlaughlin were both shagged as was Erwin and Banks. So that's 3/4 players from the midfield with injuries and exhausted and you question why he put someone in midfield. Wow

You talk about his defensive substitution. Flynn and McGlaughlin were both shagged as was Erwin and Banks. So that's 3/4 players from the midfield with injuries and exhausted and you question why he put someone in midfield. Wow

If all are midfield are 'shagged' after 12 games and 60 mins against Doncaster to the point we have to put a right back in midfield to do nothing of note then our problems are far bigger than mentioned in this thread!

If all are midfield are 'shagged' after 12 games and 60 mins against Doncaster to the point we have to put a right back in midfield to do nothing of note then our problems are far bigger than mentioned in this thread!

He's played in midfield before. Banks and McGlaughlin haven't played much so ye cramp is understandable. Erwin runs as much as anyone so not surprising he's tired and Flynn took some knocks so was injured. Simple. Not negative tactics

Some injuries aren't preventable.

McLaughlin was knackered. Flynn was injured. Green and Winchester were injured - if they're hamstrings you could perhaps question the cold weather warm up.

While I agree with your thoughts on the manager, we were a bit stuffed as the injuries mounted yesterday.

There is an argument for why we went defensive last 20 mins, but it was the same for the first 20 in the game and also the same for the first half at Rochdale and Bolton etc..
A run of defeats until the next FA Cup game and then ditched out by whoever and he should be gone and it will probably happen UNLESS he actually lets us play with a bit of freedom! Dummigan overlaping McLaughlin, fane running forward it's all been nullified because Robbo thinks we're only capable of getting a point.

Completely separate and off-topic; whoever that Ricky Leese is on twitter, whom i suspect is that smug egotistical thunder-weapon, deyers42.
Hope you're having a great time laughing to yourself on twitter making yourself look like a lonely weirdo. Go outside you jumped up jizz trumpet

Edited by Kusunga_Is_God

That's Pricky Pleese who works for the Forum police, feels the need to rubbish anything he doesn't agree with but like I've said previous the man lost all credibility when he was the only man left who was happy with David Dumb, leave him to it if it helps the poor lad.

Guest nonaenever

There is an argument for why we went defensive last 20 mins, but it was the same for the first 20 in the game and also the same for the first half at Rochdale and Bolton etc..

A run of defeats until the next FA Cup game and then ditched out by whoever and he should be gone and it will probably happen UNLESS he actually lets us play with a bit of freedom! Dummigan overlaping McLaughlin, fane running forward it's all been nullified because Robbo thinks we're only capable of getting a point.

Agree. He is rather "defeatist" - before we played Doncaster (reserves) he was bigging them up in the press - FFS leave it alone, Robbo, it was bloody Donny from the 4th division! What on earth will he have to say when we play a decent club in the cup?

He's both a right back and midfielder - but you already knew that....

He's played in midfield before. Banks and McGlaughlin haven't played much so ye cramp is understandable. Erwin runs as much as anyone so not surprising he's tired and Flynn took some knocks so was injured. Simple. Not negative tactics

You could argue that if they're not "shagged" towards the end of the game they've not been trying hard enough.....

Agree. He is rather "defeatist" - before we played Doncaster (reserves) he was bigging them up in the press - FFS leave it alone, Robbo, it was bloody Donny from the 4th division! What on earth will he have to say when we play a decent club in the cup?

How many managers don't say that? They all say be a tough game etc. Or would you rather he came out and said this lot are clowns?