Doncaster (h)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally we play a striker between the two centrehalfs all game and McKay reaps the rewards, still prefer it if we play just the one up and pack the midfield with the extra man but it's a start, Banks looked fitter and his passing was sublime at times, McLaughlin was a constant threat and I thought Burgess stepped up today and had a better game, Erwin is no left winger but nearly got on the end of a couple today and was unlucky not too score, Fane was solid when he came on and took the pressure off us at times running the ball out from the back.

As a team we looked much more comfortable with the ball today, whether that was down to Banks being so good on the ball I dont know. Billy Mckay ran himself into the ground and his link up with Flynn who I thought was excellent gives up hope for future games.

Defensively we looked decent Dummlingham also gave a decent attacking option. For me if we get the ball out to Mcglauchlin we could start to score more goals as he isn't afraid to run at a defender, he did look knackered at the end of the game though. In the hat we go, anyone for Curzon away.

Guest nonaenever

Doncaster were bobbins - first 25 mins of game was atrocious from us. After that, we cruised it. The enforced substitutions actually improved us - Fane was a contender for Man of the Match along with Flynn, McLaughlin and Banks. With those 4 "on song" it was a cruise - but let's recognise that Donny were poor. Really pleased with a cup win though - we do desperately need a good cup run to lift the spirits and, crucially, to help financially in what has been a v poor season thus far.

Well done today - quite enjoyed it.

Oh - and shutting the big section of the RRE was the right call. The North Stand looked better with a few more in it. I did a separate post about shutting the RRE altogether whilst our crowds are so crap - personally think at least shutting the big section for the rest of the season will help with atmosphere etc. (except maybe for Bolton/Rochdale at home and any big cup games).

Dunne was superb. Players effort to get the ball back in the second half was superb.

Robinson though, again sticking 6 men behind the ball and when we went 2 up it was park the bus time.

He must love 0-1 defeats

We didn't park the bus at 2-0 at all. We still got at them. Was only when we got injuries we had to sit back

Strange game.

It's a while since I've seen us as poor and good in the same 90 minutes. First 20/25 we were really poor, couldn't pick a pass, lack of desire, lack of tempo. Then gradually we found our feet. Last 15 of first half they looked like a different team. Second half we started bright, good finish from McKay, then we dropped off and the last 15/20 we were hanging on a bit.

Why doesn't dummingham overlap McLaughlin more?? Think they could have a real tidy partnership down right this season. Both played well.

How did Erwin miss?

Flynn had a good game.

Banks is frustrating. Played at least 3 sublime passes today, then the next time you see him he can't pick a pass ten yards away. He burst onto the edge of their box at least 3 times, and then meekly gave it away or just ran out of ideas. He does the difficult well, if he could add the simple things to his game, I think he could be the creative midfielder we've been looking for.

We seem very fragile. They lack real belief indivdually and collectively to me. (Not all the players fault) If things are going ok, they look quite decent in spells. But if we go a goal down, or there up against it we look very poor, very quickly.

Hopefully a few more wins and that confidence will come.

Doncaster were awful.

Guest nonaenever

We didn't park the bus at 2-0 at all. We still got at them. Was only when we got injuries we had to sit back

agreed - Flynn looked to have done his ankle twice and would have come off - but we'd used all our subs. Mclaughlin then got severe cramp - not surprised because he ran his socks off (including some good defensive work) in what was a very good personal performance from him.

YES!!

Top post ?

Thanks Monty, credit where it's due today to all concerned. If performances like this and the Scunthorpe match can be maintained I can only see a good cup run and rise up the table.

Edited by BP1960

Dummigan, Dunn, McGlaughlin, Banks and Flynn all excellent today. Apart from the first 20 and the last 10 when we were effectively playing with 9 men with Flynn and McGlaughlin hobbling around, we were much the better team.

Indeed, some dense comments on Twitter and the like but we finished that game with 8 men, Banks did something when he shot late on that led to him limping too.

When they scored the pen I thought they may sneak the draw as we were :censored:ed but we held on. Yes it was a cup game against lower league but we did enough to win, we put pressure on when we got into the game and then built on it. Winch, Green, Mclaughlin, Banks and Flynn could all be doubts for the next game though.

Indeed, some dense comments on Twitter and the like but we finished that game with 8 men, Banks did something when he shot late on that led to him limping too.

When they scored the pen I thought they may sneak the draw as we were :censored:ed but we held on. Yes it was a cup game against lower league but we did enough to win, we put pressure on when we got into the game and then built on it. Winch, Green, Mclaughlin, Banks and Flynn could all be doubts for the next game though.

Do we have to play 6 who started today's game at Blackburn ?

Billy Mckay ran himself into the ground and his link up with Flynn who I thought was excellent gives up hope for future games.

He took his goal very well but, that aside, I thought he was terrible.

If he's terrible every week whilst scoring regularly I could live with that though....