Doncaster (h)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fair to say Donnys real aim this season is to get back into League 1, by making eight substitutes from the previous League game they can now put out a much weakened team for their EFL game with no repercussions, according to their forum they lost the game in midfield with Coppinger, Rowe and Williams all badly missed. Plenty of their fringe players were given a run out and will be used again for the EFL game.

Surprised at the praise Banks is getting. There were a few lovely balls out wide, especially to McLaughlin, but as Chris_ktf says at #162, he struggled with simple passes, and offers less than Winchester defensively. For a big lad, you'd hope he could put himself about a bit more.

Surprised at the praise Banks is getting. There were a few lovely balls out wide, especially to McLaughlin, but as Chris_ktf says at #162, he struggled with simple passes, and offers less than Winchester defensively. For a big lad, you'd hope he could put himself about a bit more.

Offers less than Winchester defensively?!! Winchester offers nothing defensively. He went off yesterday because it was too cold I reckon.

Offers less than Winchester defensively?!! Winchester offers nothing defensively. He went off yesterday because it was too cold I reckon.

Banks is horrendous defensively. Awful tackler & positionally terrible. Countless times yesterday he was caught flat footed and they walked through at times until Fane came on to break up the play. He gave away numerous pathetic fouls in key areas and could have been even more important had they had a Zac Clough. I don't agree about him going forward either. If he's not defensive then he needs to be more influential in their final third. Yes he occasionally spreader the ball wide but he goes the wrong way time and time again. Why he wasn't being instructed or choosing to break to the edge of the box for all those McLaughlin deliveries I'll never know. If he learns that the game is quicker in league one then he might grow on me but not impressed yesterday.

Banks is horrendous defensively. Awful tackler & positionally terrible. Countless times yesterday he was caught flat footed and they walked through at times until Fane came on to break up the play. He gave away numerous pathetic fouls in key areas and could have been even more important had they had a Zac Clough. I don't agree about him going forward either. If he's not defensive then he needs to be more influential in their final third. Yes he occasionally spreader the ball wide but he goes the wrong way time and time again. Why he wasn't being instructed or choosing to break to the edge of the box for all those McLaughlin deliveries I'll never know. If he learns that the game is quicker in league one then he might grow on me but not impressed yesterday.

I know its all about opinions, but, Banks gives a lot going forward with his passing ability, I just find it curious that for a team that has been struggling to entertain or attack quickly a lot of fans want Banks to be a defensive midfielder. Give him the ball get it out wide to McGlauchlin or Martin and lets get down the wings attacking. Leave the defensive stuff to others.

We love an hard working defensive midfielder :)

We don't score goals so we need to sacrifice graft for craft, it's not like he doesn't contribute because he got back yesterday and tried to offer help defensively. Our first goal came from a Banks cross so he did have a positive effect on what we did, after 6 blanks in 8 League games previous I was happy to see someone trying to be positive going forward.

I don't want him to be a defensive midfielder but expect him to be able to tackle / intercept, which he is feeble at. As for this 'attacking midfielder - when was he actually in the final third? he played so deep it was infuriating first half. Yes he put a cross in for the goal but he needs to offer far more in general play and quicken up with everything he does. Not sure if he was playing to instructions but when Fane came on that should have released him further forward especially with all the crosses from the right. He'd have been well placed for a couple of snap shots had his position been 5/10 yards further up the field.

Edited by eyres_28

Unfortunately we aren't ever going to be a success under Robinson and despite a comfortable win yesterday against a weakened lg 2 side who conceded lots of goals he showed why with 20 minutes to go with a safety first defensive sub.

2-0 up with the majority of possession he too a 'striker' off and put his first choice full back (at the beginning of the season) in midfield. His tactics then invited a poor Donny side on to us putting us under pressure which could have cost us

This mentality has already cost us against better opposition and will do again in the future. The fans won't accept that attitude to football at BP and I can't see him changing.

Delighted with the win but it could quite easily have been 2-2 thanks to Robbo when it could/should have been 3 or 4 nothing.

It's the same attitude that despite not scoring a goal at Dale he thinks the first half cost us the game. He wants a point first and foremost, he doesn't think or plan for 3 and the win. Frustrating!

Edited by palmer1

Possibly but I've seen enough to form my opinion. His mentality is all wrong. Safety first against 'lesser' opposition.

He's only a few months into his managerial career and you've decided he'll basically never change/learn/improve.

Also, if we had a few of our midfielders carrying injuries or cramp, maybe it was wise to put an extra body in there?

Maybe it's just 20 years of disappointment that's done it but don't see why people are so keen to pick holes in a win. Pawel's Law and all that. Saw a tweet yesterday moments after we took the lead bemoaning the fact that it was a midfielder not a striker that scored it.

We don't get much to shout about these days, we won and we're in the next round. May as well enjoy it!