2016 memories and your predictions for 2017

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont be renewing next season with Robbo in charge, thats even if results pick up tbh

His brand of football is absolutley :censored: and that wont change even with these magnificent signings he has lined in January!

a near 3hr round trip to watch my team fail to sneak 1-0 wins instead of trying to entertain even in defeat isnt worth it!

2017 prediction: More of the same :censored:!

I wont be renewing next season with Robbo in charge, thats even if results pick up tbh

His brand of football is absolutley :censored: and that wont change even with these magnificent signings he has lined in January!

a near 3hr round trip to watch my team fail to sneak 1-0 wins instead of trying to entertain even in defeat isnt worth it!

2017 prediction: More of the same :censored:!

So you'd not enjoy watching us win every week? Bonkers.

If we won 1-0 every home game from now on in you'd be absolutely loving it...

2016...absolute :censored:e apart from the heroics of Shez and been downhill ever since.

2017...feel no improvement apart from the odd win.We are going down under this clown

I will still renew my ST but only out of blind loyalty and trying in a small way to put money into my home town club whose manager and players and owners seem hell bent on getting us relegated .

So you'd not enjoy watching us win every week? Bonkers.

If we won 1-0 every home game from now on in you'd be absolutely loving it...

Im not enjoying any of it! if this is the standard of football on offer! sneaking a 1-0 every week this season would be good but it wouldnt be entertaining!!!

IF IF IF IF ........Bottom of the league!

my mates know I wil be there next season but I will pick my games and I certainly wont pay full price for a season ticket like I did this year!

Surley its 'bonkers' to make a 3 hour round trip in all kinds of weather to be constantly bored? it isnt fkn free!

ROBBO OUT!

Im not enjoying any of it! if this is the standard of football on offer! sneaking a 1-0 every week this season would be good but it wouldnt be entertaining!!!

IF IF IF IF ........Bottom of the league!

my mates know I wil be there next season but I will pick my games and I certainly wont pay full price for a season ticket like I did this year!

Surley its 'bonkers' to make a 3 hour round trip in all kinds of weather to be constantly bored? it isnt fkn free!

ROBBO OUT!

You were the one who said 'even *if* results pick up'

You'd be more than entertained if we were sneaking one-nil wins every week. We all would be. We'd be at the top of the table. Tell you what, you'd be enjoying it too...

You were the one who said 'even *if* results pick up'

You'd be more than entertained if we were sneaking one-nil wins every week. We all would be. We'd be at the top of the table. Tell you what, you'd be enjoying it too...

id be happier but I what would be so entertaining!?

say we finished one of the few chances we create. How would that stop my boredom of watching Robinsons Oldham?

you have missed the point! the football is :censored: and negative and after 30 plus years of watching 'sneaking' 1-0 wins while playing this type of football is not worth the money or the trip!

we created 3 chances (2 possibly only half) at most on Saturday from memory, if we won that game 1-0 would it be entertaining? Whats making me part with 350 next season?

Edited by palmer1

say we finished one of the few chances we create. How would that stop my boredom of watching Robinsons Oldham?

you have missed the point! the football is :censored: and negative and after 30 plus years of watching 'sneaking' 1-0 wins while playing this type of football is not worth the money or the trip!

we created 3 chances (2 possibly only half) at most on Saturday from memory, if we won that game 1-0 would it be entertaining? Whats making me part with 350 next season?

I would be entertained by winning matches and entertained by seeing us charge up the league we aren't winning matches and we haven't been sneaking 1-0 wins.

As for staurday well we play like that we won't win even 1-0. So I would have been happy to have seen us win 1-0 on saturday as it would have meant an improvement in the performance.

It's the context which matters. If you're sneaking one nil wins and you're top of the table, like Burton did virtually all of last season, how could you begrudge that? The game is about winning.

Winning entertains. Having something to play for entertains.

If you're coming under and onslaught and defending resolutely while one goal up that's entertaining surely? You see everything through a totally different perspective when you've got something to play for.

The apathy is caused by being resigned to your fate. We weren't amazing by any means under Sheridan but it was entertaining because it was something bigger than the number of shots we took in one particular match...

2016 - the year Corney gambled his last dollar on staying in League 1 and won, but suffered a terrible hangover afterwards.

2017 - the year the lower league 1 stagnation finally ends. Whether that is in a good way or a bad way, who knows.

It looks like Corney won't /can't pull another rabbit out of the hat to stave off relegation by himself this season. He's never shown any ambition to get promoted since taking over on his own but has always said that survival in League 1 is crucial and has even said he' walk away if we go down.I think he understands things are different this time. The hardcore fans are finally starting to lose faith, we are bottom of the table playing the most unattractive football in living memory, under a tansfer embargo and with a stand he can't afford to finish building. Something is going to change this time.

So will he find a new Chinese investor with more money than sense to take us to new heights or will he persuade Blitz to take a hit on his investment and sell to a local investor at a sensible price ? Or will those efforts fail and make him accept the inevitability of relegation to League 2 ?

Either way, for once, I think a 15th - 20th place finish in league 1 and another groundhog season in 17/18 is now the least likely scenario.

It's the context which matters. If you're sneaking one nil wins and you're top of the table, like Burton did virtually all of last season, how could you begrudge that? The game is about winning.

Winning entertains. Having something to play for entertains.

If you're coming under and onslaught and defending resolutely while one goal up that's entertaining surely? You see everything through a totally different perspective when you've got something to play for.

The apathy is caused by being resigned to your fate. We weren't amazing by any means under Sheridan but it was entertaining because it was something bigger than the number of shots we took in one particular match...

Sheridan had a plan, it wasnt entertaining but after the :censored: we watched for most of the season it was better and it gave us hope for the last few games, hope was the major factor in attendance under Sheridan.

Burton played with organisiation away from home and and with some flair at home scoring plenty of goals while winning promotion twice. As a fan you would be delighted with that.

If you tell me that we play the same under Robinson as we did for the first 14 games but sneak 1-0s all the way, Im telling you I wont buy a season ticket.

I want to win but I want to see goals and I want to be entertained! I dont understand why thats so difficult to understand?

While always wanting Oldham to win...

I have watched us sneak a 1-0 in a crappy boring dreary games and driven the 1.5 hours home wondering is it worth my time and money.

If I had watched a 3-2 loss but with both teams going for it id be pissed off we lost but id be more inclined to say it was worth it.

We wont see many of the latter under the current manager...we arent seeing many of the 1st!

Edited by palmer1

If you tell me that we play the same under Robinson as we did for the first 14 games but sneak 1-0s all the way, Im telling you I wont buy a season ticket.

So you're saying that if we were top of the table you wouldn't turn up to home games just because we weren't making an abundance of chances?

:censored: me that's fussy!

I think you'd be enjoying them a lot more than you reckon you would be anyway, just on the basis we were top, we had a feel-good factor, an atmosphere etc.

Guest nonaenever

I'm pretty convinced that, if we bin this manager off and get someone proven in like we did last season, then we'll escape the drop quite comfortably.

Keep with this clown and we'll finish bottom of the pile...

I think anyone with a modicum of understanding of football and management would agree with this. Time to act - do not give this manager a transfer window.

I'm pretty convinced that, if we bin this manager off and get someone proven in like we did last season, then we'll escape the drop quite comfortably.

Keep with this clown and we'll finish bottom of the pile...

I agree that, just like last year, this isn't a job for a rookie and that Robinson is proving that he doesn't have what it takes.

However even at this stage I'm not convinced that an experienced manager will keep us up. That's down to the majority of players not being good enough. Major changes in January would help but I doubt we'll be able to do much wheeling and dealing.

An experienced manager would give us a fighting chance but not much more than that.

So you're saying that if we were top of the table you wouldnl't turn up to home games just because we weren't making an abundance of chances?

:censored: me that's fussy!

I think you'd be enjoying them a lot more than you reckon you would be anyway, just on the basis we were top, we had a feel-good factor, an atmosphere etc.

:censored: me! Read!

No im not saying any of that! I said I'm not buying a season tkt but I'd be delighted to be top....As fkn if!

I said I'd pick my games and not once did I say I would not come if we were top and winning 1-0.

I'm not buying a season tkt if Robinson is here churning out the same :censored:e next season. I will still come to some games

The rest is absolutely irrelevant because it isn't happening!

Edited by palmer1

The best memory in 2016 for me was Wigan away. A great weekend overall but despite the 0-0 it really felt as though I was watching an Oldham team that I could relate to again ("we've got our Oldham back"). I still didn't expect us to stay up but I knew we would be fighting tooth and nail to do so.

It wasn't even relief when we beat Crewe to stay up, it was disbelief that Shez had managed to get us the targeted 9 wins with 2 games to spare!

Which made it even worse when Shez thought Notts was a better option than us. I understand why Shez thought it was a better option, but us not being able to offer him a better deal should be the clearest sign that Corney and the current owners aren't able to take the club forward.

Since then there's been so many negatives. 2015 was worse overall as it was :censored: from start to finish, but I believe we're in a worse state now than we were at this time last year.

In 2017 I expect relegation regardless of changes to management or playing staff as there's too much that needs changing. But despite this there are things that can be put in place or fixed that can make the future not look so bleak, regardless of which division we're in. To name a few:

1. New ownership (if at all possible).

2. Failing that, some form of protest group. I think the efforts of the group in the summer (while flawed) and nonaenever have made a good start on this front.

3. An attack-first mentality and hopefully goals. If Robinson stays this has to be part of his job remit.

4. Making good use of our youngsters, hopefully strengthening the identity of our club.

5. A unique selling point about going to home games. Not sure what this could be, but something that makes matchdays at BP an enjoyable place to be without having to rely on the quality of football. Athleticos seemed to capture this feeling a while back, although it doesn't need to be related to singing sections.

League 2 would be less of a bitter pill to swallow if we had these things by next August.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Guest nonaenever

The best memory in 2016 for me was Wigan away. A great weekend overall but despite the 0-0 it really felt as though I was watching an Oldham team that I could relate to again ("we've got our Oldham back"). I still didn't expect us to stay up but I knew we would be fighting tooth and nail to do so.

It wasn't even relief when we beat Crewe to stay up, it was disbelief that Shez had managed to get us the targeted 9 wins with 2 games to spare!

Which made it even worse when Shez thought Notts was a better option than us. I understand why Shez thought it was a better option, but us not being able to offer him a better deal should be the clearest sign that Corney and the current owners aren't able to take the club forward.

Yes Wigan away was great - although we took just less than 1,000 fans from memory, we sounded like 3,000 - non-stop singing. Shez gave us belief again - I even took half a day off work to drive to Shrewsbury and see us beat them on Gerrard's debut (who was immense - as was Winchester who scored that night). It's like the belief disappeared in a puff of smoke - this manager is just so "out of tune" with the fans - in fact the whole team aside from Clarke is and that's one of the current problems - the gulf between club and supporters is at the widest I can ever recall - and we're divided too.

January: OWTB message bored flooded with messages asking if the transfer embargo has been lifted. People saying the trust should be letting the fans know more. Each passing week we will hear it's going to be lifted only for it to be lifted at the very end and we end up doing a repeat of the summer, taking the scraps. The team will continue to struggle at home and by the end of January we will be 4 points adrift.

Feb-End of season

Much of the same with the fans becoming ever more divided watching the team that the owner is leaving in a better place when he leaves than when he arrived go down without a whimper to the 4th division attendences dwindle and the manager gets the boot in march time although to late. The corney in brigade abuse the corney out brigade and the corney out brigade abuse the corney in brigade. With lots of people saying we should do this and do that but nobody actually doing anything.

Pre season will be the same as this year lots of players released but a new manager will be in place from the end of the last season. Although will only be able to sign players on short term deals. The supporters bar will still not be ready although a statement will be released around June time telling fans it will be ready for the start of the new season. Fans who vowed never to renew the season ticket will renew again.

The OEC will be still doing plenty of business and the football club will not be seeing much from it. As the statement the club needs 24/7 income quickly changed to football related income after it was built lol.

The team will struggle and come December 2017 we will be around 19th in league 2 with a ever growing corney out brigade but not much happening as people won't want to turn into a Blackpool or charlton because it may damage the club, which will be ironic as we struggle to keep our league status. The divide will continue and the club will will just survive come the end of the season.

Merry Christmas

Let's hope I am completely wrong ??

Memories of 2016 - I'd rather not remember.

2017 prediction

1 of 4 outcomes:

a. We slip into the abyss - go down without a fight and struggle in league 2 this time next year

b. Administration - the plug is finally pulled and anything could happen.

c. Changes, we change the manager and few players - "bravely" miss out on survival

d. Changes, we change the manager and a few players in jan - SURVIVE and are back in the position this time next year

I'm expecting prediction A.

Edited by pukka

Memories of 2016 - I'd rather not remember.

2017 prediction

1 of 4 outcomes:

a. We slip into the abyss - go down without a fight and struggle in league 2 this time next year

b. Administration - the plug is finally pulled and anything could happen.

c. Changes, we change the manager and few players - "bravely" miss out on survival

d. Changes, we change the manager and a few players in jan - SURVIVE and are back in the position this time next year

I'm expecting prediction A.

I would agree with A, but given our current financial situation I don't think you can entirely rule out B.

He found 6m to build a stand and will cover a 1m loss. On the basis of this evidence I would say yes.

However he doesn't have to find 400k does he? This cost would be incurred throughout the year (paying out wages etc) and would be funded by the increased income throughout the year.

Basics.

He found £6m to build a stand by selling all our best players, our two best managers, our best sell on clauses then borrowed the rest and added it to the club debts.