New Banner

Stop knocking Corney FFS! He'd happily sell up but his 'owners' won't allow him until they get their investment back. That won't happen so Corney is battling to keep the club afloat and operational on hugely restrictive budgets. He personally cannot fund investment so we are where we are.

It's easy for us fans to criticise Corney when it's not our money we're asking him to try and fill the black hole of funding a successful League One club.

The story is pretty straightforward and there's no conspiracy -

1. Blitz buys club and invests £6m+ into team, ground, land expecting success

2. Success never happens and with the 2008 crash, Blitz left the club and his £6m+ loan doesn't need repaying until we're in the Prem or until club is sold

3. Corney steps up to the plate with no support from Blitz and try's to fund running of club on his limited wealth and income from club, which is sub-League One

4. Club struggles, players poached or leave and we enter a downward spiral as income reduces, no additional investment and budget means our chances of success dwindle each season

5. Club remains on open sale - no takers willing to spend £6m+ that is then locked into a club struggling in League One, limited off-field opportunity and empathetic support from Oldham as a town

Only two outcomes I can see are -

Somebody buying the club as a tenant willing to invest personally in the hope of succeeding and then buying the ground from Blitz when we reach the Prem

Club folds, remains extinct and then Blitz is free to sell the ground and land for non-football development

We can quote a catalogue of errors in their tenure but the biggest mistake TTA made was buying the club.

They wanted to buy a football club (failed to buy Hull), but really didn't have deep enough pockets (as many owners don't) to buy a football club.They had made some money ,but not enough and set off on an ego trip without proper Due Diligence. It has backfired badly on them but even more on the Club and supporters that are OAFC. Perhaps if they hadn't taken over, the club would have died then, rather than going through the current long lingering death.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

Back on topic, fans may recall when we paid for a huge message to Joe Royle on the old scoreboard, think it said "PLEASE JOE, DON'T GO" (City or Everton were after him and he ended up staying for a while after that heart rendering plea from the fans).

So, ironically, it's time to repeat that message in a slightly different form; "PLEASE ROBBO - GO!"

I`ve no real animosity towards him but, by now, it should be obvious to even his most steadfast supporters that he's not the man for us.

Back on topic, fans may recall when we paid for a huge message to Joe Royle on the old scoreboard, think it said "PLEASE JOE, DON'T GO" (City or Everton were after him and he ended up staying for a while after that heart rendering plea from the fans).

So, ironically, it's time to repeat that message in a slightly different form; "PLEASE ROBBO - GO!"

I`ve no real animosity towards him but, by now, it should be obvious to even his most steadfast supporters that he's not the man for us.

Why turn nasty?

Guest nonaenever

Why turn nasty?

I never mentioned turning nasty - in fact quite the opposite ("no animosity" and "please" in the banner). It's clear the majority of fans want him to go - we either sit back quietly and let us die - or do something about it. I don't actually think many have any real animosity towards him but most sane fans know he's going to take us down don't they? Do we want that? Haven't we been too quiet for too long? Do we actually care anymore?

Banks is 24.

He's clearly trying to base himself on the Busquets' of this world, but what makes them great is their passing through the lines into the feet of the strikers and attacking midfielders.

Predictably, like everybody else Robinson favours, Banks doesn't have the intent to play that role. He's a merchant of sideways passing - loves a long-ball into space which doesn't give us any form of advantage.

I don't want to give him too much stick because he looks for the ball at least - the likes of Flynn and Green have even stopped doing that - but he's just indicative of this horrible, impotent style we have adopted.

Agree on banks. Second half yesterday I thought he did ok at least showed for the ball.

Green doesn't help anyone who plays centre midfield with him because he lacks positional discipline.

I'm not saying it's all his fault, he might have been told to get up & down, but it leaves whoever is the other bloke to be played around easily while he's up field (mainly Fane left looking rubbish) or not able to play a simple role because you don't know if he's playing in support of strikers or getting back defensively.

If you had two like Green it'd probably work really well, but we haven't & our other midfielders don't know how to play alongside it, so they're painfully safe- until Banks yesterday!

I never mentioned turning nasty - in fact quite the opposite ("no animosity" and "please" in the banner). It's clear the majority of fans want him to go - we either sit back quietly and let us die - or do something about it. I don't actually think many have any real animosity towards him but most sane fans know he's going to take us down don't they? Do we want that? Haven't we been too quiet for too long? Do we actually care anymore?

No guarantee the next guy comes along and does any better, he seems like a decent guy, doesn't need to be hounded out.

He should go himself.I would feel more about him if he had the decency and did so and now.

I have never known such despair with our dwindling fan base even more so than the Penny season.

Fed up with his excuses.

I am prepared to put £500 down myself if it means getting a manager in who knows what they are doing even if it is now too late.

Guest nonaenever

No guarantee the next guy comes along and does any better, he seems like a decent guy, doesn't need to be hounded out.

I don't know him personally, so I`ve no idea if he's a decent guy or not but he's managing one of (if not the) worst sides I have witnessed in over 40 years of watching. If not the worst side, then certainly the most boring brand of football I have ever seen. Latics' have several fundamental problems at the moment; some we can influence and some we can't. Unfortunately for the manager, his position is probably one of those that fans can influence more than others presently. Rather than shout and scream abuse at the man at games (which will undoubtedly come from some in the near future) I actually think a dignified but silent protest via such a banner would be a much "kinder" message. It's all about opinions I know but I just don't want us to get relegated because I think that would spell disaster.

Like I said, no animosity but surely something has to happen?

Guest nonaenever

I am prepared to put £500 down myself if it means getting a manager in who knows what they are doing even if it is now too late.

....and another £500 pledge from me

Guest nonaenever

Goodness me.

That goes straight up there with greatest posts ever on owtb.

in your editing you conveniently missed out that I had written, "I`ve no real animosity towards him". Never mind, when did truth ever get in the way of fact on a message board! Let's all just sit there and clap whilst we get relegated watching the most insipid football we've ever witnessed then.

in your editing you conveniently missed out that I had written, "I`ve no real animosity towards him". Never mind, when did truth ever get in the way of fact on a message board! Let's all just sit there and clap whilst we get relegated watching the most insipid football we've ever witnessed then.

It's the idea that you think saying please may sway the manager's decision to quit his job and join the dole queue...

Better off making a sarcastic banner or singing songs to embarrass them into attacking more than just plainly asking the manager to leave.

Guest nonaenever

It's the idea that you think saying please may sway the manager's decision to quit his job and join the dole queue...

Better off making a sarcastic banner or singing songs to embarrass them into attacking more than just plainly asking the manager to leave.

I can't remember the last time I actually heard a song at Latics - but let's just agree to differ on this one.

I can't remember the last time I actually heard a song at Latics - but let's just agree to differ on this one.

Well maybe it'll have an even greater shock factor...

It shouldn't have to be this way, but realistically it's more likely that applying pressure will force a more expansive style of play with greater urgency than calling for the manager to resign on a banner.

It feels like the manager and the players are getting away with this shambles at the moment. I'm not calling for abuse necessarily, just pressure.

Edited by NewBlue

There's no rule to say it just has to be one banner.

Personally I'd back one as suggested by Nonaenever. But if someone else put up another one with more, shall we say 'blunt' language, then good luck to them.

And if people want to sing songs at the same time, then sounds like an atmosphere to me...

No manager will walk away because of one banner, no matter what way it is phrased.

But if individuals and groups make themselves noticed in their own way at the same time as others then we will all be harder to ignore at least.

I don't want the manager to walk.

I want to see more attacking, more urgent and energetic football.

Does the first point always have to be consequential of the second?

I didn't want to see another manager gone either until recently - when I got to the point where the statistics are so damning that I don't think he is capable of delivering your second point (with many but not all reasons for that beyond his control).

I don't want the manager to walk.

I want to see more attacking, more urgent and energetic football.

Does the first point always have to be consequential of the second?

pay to watch the last 10 homes again & then ask that question!

pay to watch the last 10 homes again & then ask that question!

I've been to six. I didn't see Scunthorpe or Shrewsbury, so I've not yet seen a goal.

I want to give him every chance, which I believe includes the treatment fans gave Darren Kelly - not saying nasty or abusive, just vocal. It's essentially an ultimatum, because I think he feels like he's getting away with it at the moment and that the fans are accepting this. It needs to feel like last chance saloon, and then it'll eek out some more expansive football.

Edited by NewBlue

Are you talking about Robbo or Corney here? It's clear who you should be protesting against.