General Election - 8th June 2017

Matt

1 hour ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Britain's economic growth has just slipped to the bottom of the G7 so don't expect that to last.

As predicted by everyone that isn't a politician.  We had the best performance in 2016 and this was predicted by every major commentator/analyst to slip in 2017.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

As predicted by everyone that isn't a politician.  We had the best performance in 2016 and this was predicted by every major commentator/analyst to slip in 2017.

And? I was just pointing out that the trend he is observing isn't likely to continue.

23 minutes ago, joe_lead said:

...... because the basis of your argument seems to be that we shouldn't complain about increasingly more working people struggling to get by as it was worse for our parents and grand parents.   

I disagree that more working people are.

The idea that they are is central to Labour's & your politics though. Dependant on misery, real or otherwise...

In real life I see the opposite to the stats you posted....

That doesn't mean I dispute that there are people out there struggling, of course there are - and I hope whichever government gets in can improve things for them. 

Keeping the vast majority of the population productive, optimistic & spending money will offer the greatest chance of that happening, in my opinion. 

Edited by HarryBosch

1 hour ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

What are corporation tax receipts as a proportion of all receipts? Or a proportion of GDP? Just a thought. I wouldn't want to set fire to your straw man but...

Your glorious leader wants to increase it which, put simplistically, might well result in the reverse happening. Which will mean he then has to go against his pledge not to fuck over low earners....

Just now, HarryBosch said:

Your glorious leader wants to increase it which, put simplistically, might well result in the reverse happening. Which will mean he then has to go against his pledge not to fuck over low earners....

Whereas yours openly fucks over/dislikes over low earners, disabled, elderly, unemployed, foxes, elephants, police officers, doctors, nurses, anyone who wishes to ask her a question, her own colleagues, female prisoners, human right activists, environmentalists, those who oppose the selling of arms to terrorists, students, those who need social care, the self employed, the homeless, the sick, the destitute, the NHS, live debates (in fact any debates), following Parliamentary procedure, expenses 

What she protects/likes: high earners, big corporations, Phillip Hammond, fox hunters, poachers, her husband (because he takes the bins out like a man), her husband's bank account, power suits, despots, Trump, Saudi Arabia, Assad, Rupert Murdoch, the Daily Mail, Maggie Thatcher, her husband's bank account (again), her job, her old job, making cuts, slogans, her own voice, her own face.

Anything I miss?

2 minutes ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Whereas yours openly fucks over/dislikes over low earners, disabled, elderly, unemployed, foxes, elephants, police officers, doctors, nurses, anyone who wishes to ask her a question, her own colleagues, female prisoners, human right activists, environmentalists, those who oppose the selling of arms to terrorists, students, those who need social care, the self employed, the homeless, the sick, the destitute, the NHS, live debates (in fact any debates), following Parliamentary procedure, expenses 

What she protects/likes: high earners, big corporations, Phillip Hammond, fox hunters, poachers, her husband (because he takes the bins out like a man), her husband's bank account, power suits, despots, Trump, Saudi Arabia, Assad, Rupert Murdoch, the Daily Mail, Maggie Thatcher, her husband's bank account (again), her job, her old job, making cuts, slogans, her own voice, her own face.

Anything I miss?

No point in discussing anything with anyone like you. You'd vote for a slug if it had a red rosette on it.   I'm still curious to know peoples backgrounds if they are prepared to share... which part of the public sector do you work for? 

16 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Okay. *takes out matches and petrol*

Corporation tax receipts tend to be lower during recessions. (How am I doing?)

They tend to be higher during periods of economic growth. (Still with me?)

There's your correlation. (How was that?)

Why would HMRC publish data side by side like that when the two variables have no causal relationship? I have no idea. Pressure from Laffer curve idiots is my first guess, but it might also be to do with HMRC's own reputation of not collecting as much in tax from corporations as they should.

1 minute ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Why would HMRC publish data side by side like that when the two variables have no causal relationship? I have no idea. Pressure from Laffer curve idiots is my first guess, but it might also be to do with HMRC's own reputation of not collecting as much in tax from corporations as they should.

So you are saying Labour is correct. We will definitely see a rise in corp tax revenues that is directly proportionate to the rise in the rate?

1 minute ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Could anybody produce any single stat that you wouldn't spin in a similar fashion? :lol:

4 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Could anybody produce any single stat that you wouldn't spin in a similar fashion? :lol:

No. I've asked him a simple question. Will a rise in corp tax generate an equivalent rise in revenue?  Labour says it definitely will. 

3 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

No point in discussing anything with anyone like you. You'd vote for a slug if it had a red rosette on it.   I'm still curious to know peoples backgrounds if they are prepared to share... which part of the public sector do you work for? 

Never worked in the public sector, worked in a variety of industries. I do not feel the need to brag about my earnings, or achievements because and no disrespect to anyone here but I do not need approval and applause from an online community. 

10 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Isn't this largely the issue? Aren't all statistics open to spinning? Doesn't this open up to a wider issue of why people do not vote, as there are so few facts, and the facts that are there are ignored unless they suit the agenda. 

2 minutes ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Never worked in the public sector, worked in a variety of industries. I do not feel the need to brag about my earnings, or achievements because and no disrespect to anyone here but I do not need approval and applause from an online community. 

Isn't this largely the issue? Aren't all statistics open to spinning? Doesn't this open up to a wider issue of why people do not vote, as there are so few facts, and the facts that are there are ignored unless they suit the agenda. 

Who is asking you to brag.  I'm just wondering what shapes your polarised and aggressive view.  I find it interesting.

2 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Who is asking you to brag.  I'm just wondering what shapes your polarised and aggressive view.  I find it interesting.

I'd have a wild guess at social injustice if I had to. It's why the left are perceived as shouty and noisy, they tend to believe passionately in their cause while the other side tend to be slightly ashamed.

7 minutes ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

I'd say there are too many facts. Not all of them actual facts. 

4 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

I'd have a wild guess at social injustice if I had to. It's why the left are perceived as shouty and noisy, they tend to believe passionately in their cause while the other side tend to be slightly ashamed.

that's just rubbish isn't it.  an over simplified generalisation.

Just now, kowenicki said:

anyone checking that table I just posted.  is  it wrong?

I can't see the sources at the bottom, white on a green background and the size of fucking nonsense - plus my eyes are shagged.

One thing I do know is that things like that graph are created for a purpose, and it often omits data that may paint a very different picture. Not saying that one does 'cos I can't fucken read it.