General Election - 8th June 2017

Matt

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

There you go.  Snide idiotic remarks. #itswhattheleftdo

Nobody's reading your hashtags you pretentious weapon.

You claim to have come from the poorest background of anybody on this Board and to have paid more tax than most of us will pay in our lifetime, both of which are entirely beyond proof. You're just making stuff up, at least you've found your natural home politically.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Nobody's reading your hashtags you pretentious weapon.

You claim to have come from the poorest background of anybody on this Board and to have paid more tax than most of us will pay in our lifetime, both of which are entirely beyond proof. You're just making stuff up, at least you've found your natural home politically.

aaaaand another insult.

Yeah I am. Totally. You got me big man.  

(Says the man man with his multitude of non exec roles on boards... pro bono hero of the people) 

Edited by kowenicki

4 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

aaaaand another insult.

Yeah I am. Totally. You got me big man.  

(Says the man man with his multitude of non exec roles on boards... pro bono hero of the people) 

One of them has charitable objectives so I do chair their Audit Committee pro bono. I'm surprised you are familiar with the concept.

1 minute ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

One of them has charitable objectives so I do chair their Audit Committee pro bono. I'm surprised you are familiar with the concept.

That's because you are an aloof and  patronising left winger. As you said.. you've found the right party. 

I too have established a charitable foundation, but that's also off topic. 

Lets get get back on topic, I'd be interested in your views on those 3 shadow ministers mentioned above. 

Perhaps they're preferable to the party whose leader refuses to sign a letter condemning Trump's withdrawal from the Paris agreement and whose manifesto offers unprecedented support for the fossil fuel industries whilst trousering £400k in donations from oil barons.

just a thought.

16 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

I see the new champion of the left...

For heavens sake.

17 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Fucking hypocrites all of them. 

That's something we can agree on. Evening Standard bemoans May's energy price cap or price controls claiming that the Government are interfering with the markets - however the new ed George Osbourne is also in the employ of BlackRock and on a salary of around 650k per annum. BlackRock are the biggest shareholder of Centrica...

Boris Johnson has had one meeting with an external organisation to discuss 'Syria' - Aymaan Asfari, who also donated £650k to the Conservatives for the last 6 years or so. His wife has also donated a substantial amount the Conservatives. Asfari's firm Petrofac is being scrutinised by the SFO (talk about this later) for fraud and corruption, they are also in partnership with Unaoil (corruption, bribery) and they've paid a massive amount of money to Assad to work in Syria. Johnson's FO predecessor Hammond also had 'one external meeting' with Asfari.

May's manifesto outlines that the independent Serious Fraud Office will come under political control by being swallowed up by the National Crime Agency. The loss of independence is made worse because of Government connections to the most corrupt-prone industries. Liam Fox is involved with seven defence sector companies, and Shell. It kind of opens up a cloak-and-dagger approach to trade with a Government which is desperate to trade with any cunt post Brexit.

29 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

So, back on topic.

question for potential labour voters.  

Views on Diane Abbott, (Lady) Emily Thornberry  and John McDonnell.  

can you really stomach them? Seriously? 

I was going to pro and con the people you mentioned, but then I decided to handle that question in the manner our dear Supreme Leader would:

"It is clear to me that they are indeed members of the shadow cabinet, and at this time we have to say we are all in this together. I would also like to remind everyone they should look at the other party, (scoff) and ask if you want them to handle the very important Brexit negotiations. They begin eleven days after the election, an election that is clear to me was designed to increase power from the opposite party. I consider any questions on this subject to be nothing more than people trying to damage the future of this nation, strong and stable, strong and stable, strong and stable.........."   

2 hours ago, joe_lead said:

I should have said OECD countries, but I stand by the point I was making.  Rather than discussing the exact wording  I'd welcome your view on the impact of  low pay and pay inequality

Do you want my view on low pay or pay inequality? They aren't the same thing. Lots of people around the world are quite keen to leave their more equal societies to come and work in our low paid jobs.

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

So, back on topic.

question for potential labour voters.  

Views on Diane Abbott, (Lady) Emily Thornberry  and John McDonnell.  

can you really stomach them? Seriously? 

I sort of can. I like McDonnell's views on Irish republicanism. Not to everyone's taste, but I see his point. (I've heard an absolutely belting rumour about him and the IRA back in the 1990s.)

I like John McDonnell...but he's probably being played in the wrong position just now. I'd rather have him on the picket line or at the rally, megaphone in hand, telling the striking workers they're alright by him.

I like Diane Abbott too, up to a point. She's obviously a bit of a dick, but so is Amber Rudd, and so is Theresa May. She's not to everyone's taste - obviously - but black women who, for instance, call the Met police out for this or that indiscretion don't always win popularity contests.

I like Emily Thornberry too. I understand how she can get up some people's noses, but clever, rich and combative women don't always win popularity contests.

The choice is would you rather have Rudd, Boris fucking Johnson and Hammond, or Abbott, Thornberry and McDonnell. I go for the last three every time. 

9 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

I sort of can. I like McDonnell's views on Irish republicanism. Not to everyone's taste, but I see his point. (I've heard an absolutely belting rumour about him and the IRA back in the 1990s.)

I like John McDonnell...but he's probably being played in the wrong position just now. I'd rather have him on the picket line or at the rally, megaphone in hand, telling the striking workers they're alright by him.

I like Diane Abbott too, up to a point. She's obviously a bit of a dick, but so is Amber Rudd, and so is Theresa May. She's not to everyone's taste - obviously - but black women who, for instance, call the Met police out for this or that indiscretion don't always win popularity contests.

I like Emily Thornberry too. I understand how she can get up some people's noses, but clever, rich and combative women don't always win popularity contests.

The choice is would you rather have Rudd, Boris fucking Johnson and Hammond, or Abbott, Thornberry and McDonnell. I go for the last three every time. 

I would probably agree with that analysis notwithstanding knowing nothing about any rumours around McDonnell and the IRA. Interesting he asked about those 3 and not Corbyn himself, who's popularity is absolutely infuriating Paul Dacre, or Barry Gardiner, MVP of the entire campaign on all sides or Andrew Gwynne another who has decimated various Tories during the campaign.

2 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

I would probably agree with that analysis notwithstanding knowing nothing about any rumours around McDonnell and the IRA. Interesting he asked about those 3 and not Corbyn himself, who's popularity is absolutely infuriating Paul Dacre, or Barry Gardiner, MVP of the entire campaign on all sides or Andrew Gwynne another who has decimated various Tories during the campaign.

The rumour is one of those you want to be true but probably isn't. 

I know. I've just seen that IPSOS/Mori are recording a narrow Tory lead...so it's not just yougov. I expect a certain amount of clustering around the wrong result (given the volatility of your modern voter), but it's perfectly possible people are drifting away from the Tories quite badly.

May's hiding is now becoming a joke.  She shirked out of debates to supposedly focus on meeting people on their doorsteps, even though the Conservatives seem to do everything they can to engineer an easy ride when meeting members of the public (I know they're probably not alone on that, before anyone says it).

But she's now turned down Woman's Hour on Radio 4 and has apparently pulled out of a bunch of BBC local radio interviews that had been lined up.  How can anyone have any faith in a woman who's clearly aware of the fact that the more people get to know her, the less they like her?  The media campaign to throw doubt on whether Corbyn's a capable leader looks fucking laughable when compared with May's behaviour.

3 minutes ago, leeslover said:

If there's one thing we can all agree on, the Tories have made a right pigs are of the campaign 

It's virtually unprecedented, the start of the campaign WAS Theresa May. Nobody else got a mention, now they're fighting tooth and nail to keep her from each and every media appearance. 

2 hours ago, leeslover said:

Do you want my view on low pay or pay inequality? They aren't the same thing. Lots of people around the world are quite keen to leave their more equal societies to come and work in our low paid jobs.

Never suggested they were the same, but I think you knew that.  Feel free to think that all is well because we have people coming from around the world to take our low paid jobs, I will continue to work toward a higher skilled economy and look forward to the day when engineers from Scandanavia and Germany want to live and work here because we offer comparative opportunities, living and working standards.  

If you want a grown up debate about the impact of low pay, pay inequality and the skewed distribution of wealth I will happily engage with you, if you simply want to focus on specific words and numbers its best we call it a day.

1 hour ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

You seem to think I like the Tories... you haven't been paying attention.

I have little time for all politicians, cant think of one I admire currently.  Do I like and admire Boris, Hunt, Hammond?  Not a bit, I am just happen to actively hate Abbott and Thornberry and everything they pretend to be and stand for.  They are frauds.  They despise the working class.

43 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

What are corporation tax receipts as a proportion of all receipts? Or a proportion of GDP? Just a thought. I wouldn't want to set fire to your straw man but...

Is it any less valid than simply saying (as Labour are saying in their manifesto) that if we increase corp tax then receipts will increase in direct proportion.  That simply won't happen as you yourself have eluded to in previous posts by pointing out how tax payers will try to avoid paying it... so will corporations.  The incentive to do so become less at lower rates of tax.  That's just common sense.

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

No. Why do you ask? 

...... because the basis of your argument seems to be that we shouldn't complain about increasingly more working people struggling to get by as it was worse for our parents and grand parents.