General Election - 8th June 2017

Matt

21 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

600g box of Cheerios currently £1.65 at tesco. 4 pints of milk (2272ml) £1.00

6 pack of organic bananas £1.39 (ooooh fancy).

Cheerios suggested portion is 30g each or 6.9p each with 125ml of milk costing 0.05p

Banana 23p. Call it 30p among friends.

With the off-brand stuff and purchasing power of the public sector, even your wozzer mates target of 6.7p could be met.

:hanged: Do I really need to explain how the deficit works?

I didn't ... your San Fran mate did though if thats the case.

So now I'm faced with a choice between 30g of cheerios and a splash of milk or a hot lunch. Yep you're really making this much more difficult.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

I think that you and I have completely different understandings of 'sorting it out again.' There is still an annual deficit. The debt is growing, just be honest!

The problem is under Labour the deficit will be larger and thus the debt will increase at an even faster rate.  How does labour plan to turn the deficit into a surplus and thus reduce debt?  I do not believe you can only tax the rich, there needs to be some tough budgeting and across the board tax increases.

Also, there does need to be a realistic plan to tackle funding care for the elderly.

9 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

So now I'm faced with a choice between 30g of cheerios and a splash of milk or a hot lunch. Yep you're really making this much more difficult.

Or a non brand item, and even get a banana. Some might not get to eat again until their evening dinner, as their parents can't afford to pay for their lunch. Or the lunch they get is small, and not healthy as their parents have got the best they can afford but it isn't enough, all the while that same child's mate is eating a nice hot meal. Don't forget, though, we are all in this together, just some are more in it than others, and some parents are just lazy and/or stupid.

2 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

The problem is under Labour the deficit will be larger and thus the debt will increase at an even faster rate.  How does labour plan to turn the deficit into a surplus and thus reduce debt?  I do not believe you can only tax the rich, there needs to be some tough budgeting and across the board tax increases.

Also, there does need to be a realistic plan to tackle funding care for the elderly.

Why? They will still have lower tax than elsewhere in Europe, the loopholes will be tightened. Is it wrong to tax people who can afford it? Or are we going to carry on being afraid of them? Surely at some point we have to say enough is enough, and we ask them to do more.

1 minute ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Or a non brand item, and even get a banana. Some might not get to eat again until their evening dinner, as their parents can't afford to pay for their lunch. Or the lunch they get is small, and not healthy as their parents have got the best they can afford but it isn't enough, all the while that same child's mate is eating a nice hot meal. Don't forget, though, we are all in this together, just some are more in it than others, and some parents are just lazy and/or stupid.

Talk about missing the point. The Labour a party policy is free school meals for all. Just read it.

Just now, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Talk about missing the point. The Labour a party policy is free school meals for all. Just read it.

I know it is, the point is that includes those struggling. Do I believe those who can afford it shouldn't pay? No, I don't. I do, however, believe it is a lesser of two evils, and I would rather know that children are being fed at school, even if that includes those who don't need the help.

3 minutes ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

I know it is, the point is that includes those struggling. Do I believe those who can afford it shouldn't pay? No, I don't. I do, however, believe it is a lesser of two evils, and I would rather know that children are being fed at school, even if that includes those who don't need the help.

So we agree. Fine, apologies.

28 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

I think that we should respect the fact that there are costed economic polices that are an alternative to austerity.

A lot of people make the mistake of taking household budgeting logic and applying it to national economic policy.

There is very little reflection of how sensible investment creates growth and wealth.

Reduction in the deficit does not come ONLY from incresing taxes which in a way are counter productive since they take spending power out of the economy.

So many people think that they understand economics using back of a fag packet calculations.  That is what makes it so difficiult to get people to understand.

Edited by ChaddySmoker

37 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

What's the thinking behind food being "hot" being of importance? I've seen this mentioned a few times...

Also, what's not been mentioned in this is I don't want my kids eating fucking cornflakes or cheerios. 

All parties need to focus instead on getting the parents who don't feed their kids to feed their children/feed them properly. Not to mention all the other shit they do/don't do that leaves their poor kids with little chance in life...

6 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

What's the thinking behind food being "hot" being of importance? I've seen this mentioned a few times...

Also, what's not been mentioned in this is I don't want my kids eating fucking cornflakes or cheerios. 

All parties need to focus instead on getting the parents who don't feed their kids to feed their children/feed them properly. Not to mention all the other shit they do/don't do that leaves their poor kids with little chance in life...

I think the quote I saw said "hot, nutritious" - on reflection I missed the more important of the 2 adjectives.

42 minutes ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Why? They will still have lower tax than elsewhere in Europe, the loopholes will be tightened. Is it wrong to tax people who can afford it? Or are we going to carry on being afraid of them? Surely at some point we have to say enough is enough, and we ask them to do more.

Highest tax rate in Europe:

1.   UK  57% (45% income tax + 12% NI)
      72% for earnings between £100,000 - £123,000 (40% higher rate tax + removal of tax free personal allowance + 12% NI)

2.   Austria 55%

On 31/05/2017 at 10:46 AM, leeslover said:

We don't have to have any tariffs at all on imports, we can food from wherever it's cheap and good. Also we'll be able to buy processed items whereas the EU often only allows raw materials 

Thanks for that.

4 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

72% for earnings between £100,000 - £123,000 (40% higher rate tax + removal of tax free personal allowance + 12% NI)

2.   Austria 55%

Again, nothing like being selective with the facts. 45% applies to people earning over £150k. You seem to have missed (at least) Greece and Finland off your list too both of which are higher according to the same source (wiki)

8 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

2.   Austria 55%

It's only 2% NI for higher rate tax payers.

7 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

2.   Austria 55%

Also ignoring Corporation tax where only the Swiss are lower out of the main countries, this would be true even with the suggested increase. Whereas May wants to make us a Tax heaven and protect the rich, funnily enough her husband runs a Trillion pound organisation.    

8 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

The missing T May's insightful interview with the Plymouth Herald yesterday, which may explain why she was missing. Clue - she doesn't have one.

IMG_2192.JPG

That can't be real, the answers are missing off that aren't they? I'm sorry but how can anyone feel that is acceptable? She acts like she is not to be held accountable, that she can just be wishy washy and no one will care. If she is the best this country can come up with, then we are in serious shit. I can't see her lasting the five years regardless of the result, she is already dazed, confused and as she so eloquently put 'alone and naked.'

She has cut herself off from her party, she was supposed to be the face, however, she has U-turned on that. Boris is getting louder and louder, her supporters quieter and quieter. The ones who are loyal she is hanging out to dry, her U turn on the Dementia Tax ruining the credibility of Hammond for a second time in six months. Amber Rudd left to suffer last night, as she tried to score petty points over Labour. She is a leader who is about personal wins, not wins for the country or even the party.

1 hour ago, ChaddySmoker said:

I think that you and I have completely different understandings of 'sorting it out again.' There is still an annual deficit. The debt is growing, just be honest!

YOU be honest.  The deficit has gone from over £100bn per annum to £15bn per annum.    So the rate that debt is increasing has slowed very, very dramatically and is on course to create a surplus which will then begin to reduce debt.  That's the honest and complete answer.

Every Labour government has left the country with more debt and higher unemployment than at the start of their tenure.  Every one.

12 hours ago, ChaddySmoker said:

After the leaders debate (well some of them) the front page of the Daily Mail tomorrow claims BIAS.

Is this the new definition of Irony?

11 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

Is there any publication or anybody unbiased in this election? Apart from the few million uninterested.

The i newspaper is doing a reasonably good job. 

1 hour ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

I think the quote I saw said "hot, nutritious" - on reflection I missed the more important of the 2 adjectives.

Our school headmaster often tells us how proud he is about how "healthy" & "nutritious" the food there is. It isn't.