"ooh Connor, Connor - hope you get to play somewhere better than shitty little Oldham!"...

4 minutes ago, youngen said:

I believe Ripley is on £8k/week at Boro and we paid a grand of it for his duration of loan. (Not ITK, but heard that a few times). He wont be wanting to cut his wage in half at his age, he will be looking for more if anything after the season he has just had. Whilst I would love to have him back, signing him permanently I think he is out of our price range. maybe another loan deal is possible, but Id rather spend less money on a tried and tested GK at this level and then spend the remainder on attacking midfielders who might actually create some goals.

Nothing against you, but no way is third/fourth choice keeper at a Championship club on £8k a week. Reckon you could at least half, maybe quarter it to be more accurate.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Nothing against you, but no way is third/fourth choice keeper at a Championship club on £8k a week. Reckon you could at least half, maybe quarter it to be more accurate.

If I told you Connor Wilkinson was on 8k you probably wouldn't believe that either but he is, Ellis Plummer is on 4k a week at City playing in a development squad, wages in the two divisions above are getting scarily out of hand and it's the reason many of these kids won't step down to play as they don't want to get off the gravy train.

Edited by yarddog73

36 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Boro are Prem, and even when they were Championship they were chucking £mills at players. He will definitely be on something around that mark

1 minute ago, youngen said:

Boro are Prem, and even when they were Championship they were chucking £mills at players. He will definitely be on something around that mark

They were Championship when he signed his contract I'd guess.

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If I told you Connor Wilkinson was on 8k you probably wouldn't believe that either but he is, Ellis Plummer is on 4k a week at City playing in a development squad, wages in the two divisions above are getting scarily out of hand and it's the reason many of these kids won't step down to play as they don't want to get off the gravy train.

I can believe Plummer is on that money. Wilkinson I don't, although Bolton were known for throwing money about.

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

40 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

I can believe Plummer is on that money. Wilkinson I don't, although Bolton were known for throwing money about.

The AVERAGE Championship salary bill is £26m. And that is a fact, from Pompey sales prospectus. League 1 is £3.3m. per year average next year, up 10%.

Edited by singe

On 01/05/2017 at 5:37 AM, OL9erlatic said:

A large percentage of the away following I'm sorry to say are moronic and embarrassing and very cringe worthy and these are 30 year old + blokes, we may travel punching way above our weight in percentage to home fans, but a fair few games this season I have cringed through a large percentage of the game and been thoroughly pissed off with the crap drumming and shit generic songs some of the fans sing, I left at the 40 minute mark today because I couldn't be arsed with it and was embarrassed to be frank, and before anyone calls me an old boring cunt I'm 28.

Lastly Peter Clarke should win/have won player of the year by a landslide, as good as Ripley has been, which is outstanding, Clarke has been phenomenal....rant over 

Wow.

I've seen a few tweets by Wimbledon fans praising ours and saying the best all season.

All the defence have ben praising each other, Ant Gerrard even dfers to PC,  and CR was the first to praise PC.
Peter Clarke has been round the block, and knows a good keeper when he sees one, and praised CR too.

Connor Ripley and Peter Clarke won 3 awards each, and right the Players' Player was Peter Clarke. I'd say that is about right.

Team effort, and that is what you want.

On 5/1/2017 at 9:25 AM, Flemboy said:

I have been to lots of away games which the home fans have said that we have superb away support which gets behind the team even when losing.Clarke and Shez and the players have also said so.That goal at Chesterfield was almost sucked into the net.

Oldham Athletic AFCVerified account @OfficialOAFC 13h13 hours ago

The winner of the Chairman's Outstanding Moment of the Season award is... Peter Clarke's goal against Chesterfield! #oafc

C-xO39IXYAEso1t.jpg

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

I heard that they were paying Jay Spearing around £25k a week this season. His contract is up in June and for basically seeing out his contract he is getting a £1 million loyalty bonus on top of his salary. Which is a lovely addition to the bills Bolton have to pay at the moment.

Apparently though they do have a consortium or 2 waiting in the wings to buy them out now they have been promoted. Plus as they are bigger club with bigger attendances and a far nicer stadium with a number of other revenue generators they are quite abit more attractive proposition than the likes of us.

Their is a big gap developing between the championship and league 1 interms of salaries of players right now as championship clubs push the boat out to get to the premiership jackpot. Brighton have some of biggest attendances in the Championship over the last 4-5 years but still to get from where they were which is our level now their chairman has given them a £200 million leg up. 

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I heard that they were paying Jay Spearing around £25k a week this season. His contract is up in June and for basically seeing out his contract he is getting a £1 million loyalty bonus on top of his salary. Which is a lovely addition to the bills Bolton have to pay at the moment.

Apparently though they do have a consortium or 2 waiting in the wings to buy them out now they have been promoted. Plus as they are bigger club with bigger attendances and a far nicer stadium with a number of other revenue generators they are quite abit more attractive proposition than the likes of us.

Their is a big gap developing between the championship and league 1 interms of salaries of players right now as championship clubs push the boat out to get to the premiership jackpot. Brighton have some of biggest attendances in the Championship over the last 4-5 years but still to get from where they were which is our level now their chairman has given them a £200 million leg up. 

If Spearing is on £25k then that leads me to think £8k for Wilkinson is still way off the mark.

Former came from Liverpool, having been a fringe player, Wilkinson came from Millwall where he'd not played a single game, and signed his contract extension at Bolton round the time he was with us.

6 hours ago, youngen said:

I believe Ripley is on £8k/week at Boro and we paid a grand of it for his duration of loan. (Not ITK, but heard that a few times). He wont be wanting to cut his wage in half at his age, he will be looking for more if anything after the season he has just had. Whilst I would love to have him back, signing him permanently I think he is out of our price range. maybe another loan deal is possible, but Id rather spend less money on a tried and tested GK at this level and then spend the remainder on attacking midfielders who might actually create some goals.

£8k a week.  Wow.

An untested, inexperienced GK earning upwards of £400k in his early 20s.

If true, then that pretty much ends any potential interest in signing him.

Would any Alaric fan really spend that much of our budget on a single player?

On 1 May 2017 at 4:17 PM, HarryBosch said:

Shez says he wants him back and has asked and I hope we'll keep trying over the summer.

Unfortunately it seems a case of us only getting him again if he doesn't get a better offer and we'd be daft to hang on for him if someone else decent is available. 

But there are many, many keepers out there better than and more experienced than Ripley and, because of that, I don't subscribe to this idea that it's a certainty he'll get a Championship club or game time at Boro. 

Given the type of character he seems to be there's more of a chance than there is with most young footballers that he might take less money to be first choice somewhere rather than be backup to an established No. 1 he's hardly ever going to stand in for - keepers don't tend to get injured much. Can a young keeper really progress as a bit part player? If you're a young, backup outfield player you'll get plenty of chances from the bench and there are 4 or 5 you can come in for if you do well... Not so for a keeper.

But back to my original post - I've read and heard several people saying things along the lines of "we'd be holding him back if he stayed", "I'd feel a bit guilty if he stayed here".....

What next - will they not want us to "hold back" any decent player we try and sign in the future? Should we not bother trying to be better? 

If Ripley's leaving Boro, or not going to be playing, I'd like to see us push the boat out (within reason) to sign him permanently.

We know exactly what he's all about and he'd be a good investment in that he'll give us a much greater chance of getting promoted in which case he could be a Championship number 1 with us in a year or two or if he gets even better - which he probably would - but we're still stuck in League One we could get good money for him down the line.

Obviously if it can't be done, it can't be done and I hope he goes on to do really well as much as the next person but people having this miserable idea that we as a club are beneath a player makes my soul itch...

Ohhhhh if only there was enough money in the  playershare kitty..and the slightest snowball on hell's chance we could get him.

I did ask Sheridan last night myself and he said more or less said. You never know, that he the might not like warming a bench elsewhere...

Edited by underdog

1 minute ago, underdog said:

Ohhhhh if there s enough money in the  playershare kitty..and the slightest snowball on hell's chance we could get him.

I did ask Sheridan last night myself and he said more or less said. You never know, that he the might not like warming a bench elsewhere...

If he doesn't play at Boro you could argue he'd have more chance of a good move in January if he was here continuing to keep himself in the spotlight. 

It could pan out that he wants to get away and only OAFC remember him... 

On 01/05/2017 at 5:37 AM, OL9erlatic said:

A large percentage of the away following I'm sorry to say are moronic and embarrassing and very cringe worthy and these are 30 year old + blokes, we may travel punching way above our weight in percentage to home fans, but a fair few games this season I have cringed through a large percentage of the game and been thoroughly pissed off with the crap drumming and shit generic songs some of the fans sing, I left at the 40 minute mark today because I couldn't be arsed with it and was embarrassed to be frank, and before anyone calls me an old boring cunt I'm 28.

Lastly Peter Clarke should win/have won player of the year by a landslide, as good as Ripley has been, which is outstanding, Clarke has been phenomenal....rant over 

Obviously we all know Conoro Ripley equalled the club clean sheets record, but he also saved 175 shots this season, the highest in League 1. So the 3 awards each was about right I feel.