The new goalkeeper is....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, RobOAFC said:

If we do sign Ripley I wouldn't be surprised if we did what we did when Baxter signed his extension and announce it just before kick off in the stadium.

Missed a marketing trick if they do...would have been a chance to drum up some pre match excitement and get a few fans on the fence in attendance. If he does sign it must have been touch and go right to the end.

No way is this young lad going be our number one! His distribution was really poor from what I watched in that first half, in the modern game seems to be quite an important attribute to managers! Not that we will be playing from the back so much, but I also feel good news could be coming! If not - Good Luck Mr Wilson 

So excited for tommorrow! 

7 minutes ago, wilsonjunior said:

No way is this young lad going be our number one! His distribution was really poor from what I watched in that first half, in the modern game seems to be quite an important attribute to managers! Not that we will be playing from the back so much, but I also feel good news could be coming! If not - Good Luck Mr Wilson 

Missed first 10 minutes on Tuesday and didn't pay much attention but thought his distribution was 50/50 - I can remember one pass played perfectly into someone on our left wing for us to break?

Well on the positive he was the better keeper on Tuesday and did appear to be part of our team rather than another hopeful.

The six months is probably because everyone knows, I hope, that we are looking, or is waiting the right word, for an even better keeper.

I hope he plays well and makes dropping him a difficult decision.

44 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

Missed a marketing trick if they do...would have been a chance to drum up some pre match excitement and get a few fans on the fence in attendance. 

I doubt many non-regulars would drag themselves to a match they weren't gonna go to for a goalkeeper.  

40 minutes ago, wilsonjunior said:

Ironic username. 

12 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I doubt many non-regulars would drag themselves to a match they weren't gonna go to for a goalkeeper.  

I disagree. Not just the GK though is it they could have created a lot more hype for the first game of the season that people would have got wrapped up in. Ripley would have just been the trigger of all that optimism. We have just rolled over into the first game of the season we could have made a song and dance about it.

Just now, Blue_Guru said:

I disagree. Not just the GK though is it they could have created a lot more hype for the first game of the season that people would have got wrapped up in. Ripley would have just been the trigger of all that optimism. We have just rolled over into the first game of the season we could have made a song and dance about it.

How many extra do you think?

4 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

Not sure on this.

For those that came week in and week out, we are all sure what an important player Conor is for the team and our chances this season.

To the floating fan, its just a goal-keeper.  No matter how good they are, they are never the type of player to get bums on seats.

Therefore IF they have got Conor Ripley lined up, I think him being announced at the game tomorrow would be a massive boost to the supporters / atmosphere who are there tomorrow. Staying in this hypothetical world, what is the latest that it would become apparent tomorrow?  What time are official team sheets available?  Matt Chambers tweets the line-up at 14:00 with TBC as number 1 and Ben on the bench?

7 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

Not sure on this.

For those that came week in and week out, we are all sure what an important player Conor is for the team and our chances this season.

To the floating fan, its just a goal-keeper.  No matter how good they are, they are never the type of player to get bums on seats.

Therefore IF they have got Conor Ripley lined up, I think him being announced at the game tomorrow would be a massive boost to the supporters / atmosphere who are there tomorrow. Staying in this hypothetical world, what is the latest that it would become apparent tomorrow?  What time are official team sheets available?  Matt Chambers tweets the line-up at 14:00 with TBC as number 1 and Ben on the bench?

It would certainly cause a stir if your idea at 2pm, keeper as TBC but could also work the other way if it's not Ripley and drain any positive atmosphere. It's certainly a fan relations nightmare if it's someone who we weren't expecting. 

34 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

Maybe, but hardly a boost to the lad who has got to put a shift in.

Just get behind the lad, not his fault that he is not Ripley.

Any way, just imagine if Ripley did return and did not live up to expectation, what a lot of s**t he would get on here.

Edited by frizzell54
typo

21 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

How many extra do you think?

At least 3...

in all seriousness there are a lot of 'floating fans' that keep in touch, read and post on here, listen on Iplayer etc that know how big a factor Ripley was in keeping us up lat year. I just feel with the best close season and preseason we have had in years it could have been the final thing to shout about and create a final wave of optimism. 

There's a reason why a good run of performances bring fans back in their hundreds it's because they are just sitting there waiting to be convinced that turning up on Saturday will be worth their time and money. 

Whilst I admit Ripley isn't the same as a 10 game winning streak, but fans know that replicating the form since Sheridan came here over a season could put us near the play offs and Ripley would be a big factor towards achieving that.