Burton - League Cup

13 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

An absolute hospital ball from Fane for the first one deary me! imagine if Banks had played that pass. Harsh for winning penalty, that was unlucky. Good to see Holloway get in the position to actually miss chances if he does more of that he will convert a few he was just unlucky with those 2 chances.

We don't have to imagine if Banks did it. He already has done it. Last season. Our midfield is hilariously bad at passing a football, a few of Banks' hollywood passes aside.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Holloway is great at trapping the ball with his chest but most times that is followed by a desperate pass or losing the ball. Starting to lose faith in him. Not in the box enough and not good enough and bringing others into play at the moment. Davies miles ahead of him. I'd be looking at Tope, Davies and Ryan M as the front 3.

He nodded a few brilliant headers against Oxford but to me Davies totally misread them. I'm not sure what the latter has proved in the past two games to suggest he's any better? He's not done that much. Give them a bit of time to develop a partnership.

The midfield, however, is never, ever going to work with the current players. Nor can I see Gardner coming in and improving it manifestly.

1 minute ago, NewBlue said:

The midfield, however, is never, ever going to work with the current players. Nor can I see Gardner coming in and improving it manifestly.

While it wasn't the type of midfield I'd prefer to watch, given the choice, it worked fine second half of last season. 

Really strange considering we've essentially just got Davies upfront instead of Erwin but other than that we're as we were....

We had little creativity but a decent bit of bite & organisation - now we've got neither with the same players. Bizarre. 

Why don't you think Gardner will improve it? 

Thought we played decent last night, still a lot to work on but I don't think we should be panicking, we were unlucky not to beat a side in the league above. We never gave up all game and came back from behind to take the lead.

We made some silly mistakes and at times we just couldn't get the ball to stick upfront.

Duffus really struggled tonight, seemed well off the pace. Ben Wilson was great in goal, I think Ripley helped the defence massively last season by saving shots he really shouldn't have done, maybe WIlson isn't quite doing the same yet. Dummingan's final ball was pretty poor and he should have done better cutting out the shot for the second goal. McLaughlin and Brian Wilson worked really well done the right last season, Dummigan needs to improve if he's going to stay there. Fane's backpass was unforgivable, so poor.

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

While it wasn't the type of midfield I'd prefer to watch, given the choice, it worked fine second half of last season. 

Really strange considering we've essentially just got Davies upfront instead of Erwin but other than that we're as we were....

We had little creativity but a decent bit of bite & organisation - now we've got neither with the same players. Bizarre. 

The changes are subtle, but being honest, last season was about grinding results out rather than anything exciting in terms of performances.

With basically the same squad (Wilson seems an acceptable replacement for Ripley; Duffs/Davies same for Erwin) the style of football is unlikely to impress.  

Does Shez find it harder to motivate without the 'backs against the wall' mentality of a relegation battle?

Is a currently decent playing surface making it easier for teams to pass and play football against us?

Was last seasons recovery more fluke than we realised?

One poor defeat and one half decent cup defeat is too soon to say.

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Gardner will be an improvement in terms of adding creativity, but I think quality-wise it won't be much different to sticking Banks further forward, except with a bit of extra pace. In my opinion we need a player who will play deeper and pass it forwards.

As for why it's not working, I'm not sure. Green flits in and out of form, and when he's off he's dreadful. Maybe that has something to do with it. Also, maybe it's the fact we aren't desperate as of yet - less intensity and motivation? Perhaps it has something to do with Holloway and Erwin clicking immediately, so long-ball tactics worked better than they currently are with a pair who haven't gelled yet.

57 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Disagree. Lost count of the headers he won knocking it into decent areas. It was his strike partners not making the right runs imo. I know if I was playing I would have seen this and been right on his shoulder to get myself in for a goal scoring  chance. A proper striker in form would have had a field day. And not just last night either. 

You mustn't be much of a counter as was not a recurring event last night. He was dominated last night in most contests in the air. Duffus didn't help him much (was thinking he would be ideal running one) but it was the same with Davies and the same last season bar his spell with Ryan Mc. There is no point in flicking on the ball if you are the furthest forward player.

2 minutes ago, Clifford said:

You mustn't be much of a counter as was not a recurring event last night. He was dominated last night in most contests in the air. Duffus didn't help him much (was thinking he would be ideal running one) but it was the same with Davies and the same last season bar his spell with Ryan Mc. There is no point in flicking on the ball if you are the furthest forward player.

That's bollox Clifford pal. He won every header he challenged for. There were 2 up front , it's there job to get closer and get in the right position. What should he have done headed it 20 yards backwards to our ' midfielders '. He put it in good areas imo. You are entitled to your opinion like no matter how far off the mark you are lol. 

Holloway won next to nothing in the air in my opinion. Apart from a really unlucky headed effort first half. He Looked like he was going to hold it up but then fell over looking for a free kick. Ref was having none of it.

Davies won his first 3 headers and Holloway didn't gamble.

24 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Holloway won next to nothing in the air in my opinion. Apart from a really unlucky headed effort first half. He Looked like he was going to hold it up but then fell over looking for a free kick. Ref was having none of it.

Must have been me watching summat else then not you Clifford lol

2 hours ago, welshgaz said:

Fucking hell you need to watch the game again pal, he won everything in the air from where I was sat 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Fucking hell you need to watch the game again pal, he won everything in the air from where I was sat 

Why are you swearing?

Not from where I was sat. He was completely disinterested for the first half hour then came into it a little. I'm a fan of his but whichever opinion you have of his performance last night his goalscoring record is beyond unacceptable and he is rarely in the box.

2 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Why are you swearing?

Not from where I was sat. He was completely disinterested for the first half hour then came into it a little. I'm a fan of his but whichever opinion you have of his performance last night his goalscoring record is beyond unacceptable and he is rarely in the box.

Honestly last nights performance was overall very good, for a guy rarely getting into the box, he did well to hit the post, have a glancing header just wide, and a 1 v 1 in the box, three chances a game like that and he will score goals 

What a mess up at the Carabao Cup draw, even topped the last shambles.

Burton have now the disctinction of being drawn in both the Northern and Southern sections in this competition.

Edited by BP1960

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I parked in the hospital car park, and payed with the steward and eveything, went where I was told, and have just came home to a parking ticket ? Anyone else on the same boat ? Any advice at all ? 

Many thanks 

Was there a ticket on the windscreen, and is it a ticket from creative car parking?

5 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Was there a ticket on the windscreen, and is it a ticket from creative car parking?

I had the ticket the steward gave me on the dashboard visible, and the letter is from the hospital it seems. Very strange. 

Thanks for the reply, I'm not from the area so the help is appreciated. 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

I had the ticket the steward gave me on the dashboard visible, and the letter is from the hospital it seems. Very strange. 

Thanks for the reply, I'm not from the area so the help is appreciated. 

As far as I'm aware, the hospital itself don't issue tickets or letters, it's outsourced to a private parking firm called Creative parking (part of civil enforcement)

I spoke to a couple of Oldham fans at the back end of last season who had received tickets (parking on the staff car park, after paying the stewards) that didn't sound like the normal tickets creative dish out, so I put them in touch with the travel and access manager for Pennine, although Ive no idea if he managed to sort them out.

I'll get his number when I'm in work tomorrow and PM you, if nothing else he might be able to tell you if it's genuine or not!

17 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

As far as I'm aware, the hospital itself don't issue tickets or letters, it's outsourced to a private parking firm called Creative parking (part of civil enforcement)

I spoke to a couple of Oldham fans at the back end of last season who had received tickets (parking on the staff car park, after paying the stewards) that didn't sound like the normal tickets creative dish out, so I put them in touch with the travel and access manager for Pennine, although Ive no idea if he managed to sort them out.

I'll get his number when I'm in work tomorrow and PM you, if nothing else he might be able to tell you if it's genuine or not!

Thank you very much, that would be a massive help, I really appreciate your time. It does seem a bit odd, and there are also times on the sheet that show the times I was parked there and the date so this would match up with the date of the game, if they needed any kind of evidence.