Oldham v Wigan

This should be an interesting topic if Shez gets his 5 or 6 new players, I suspect there may be just one addition though - a midfield enforcer.

My idea if one is signed could see a midfield of ..,Kyeremeh, Gardner, the enforcer and McLaughlin.... Does that look better?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, boundaryblue80 said:

Is Gardner going to be fit enough? Although needs-must might come into it. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Flynn brought into the side. 

He's a professional footballer, he ought to be guided by Harbin.

29 minutes ago, Laticfanatic1 said:

Didn't know that, has it been mentioned anywhere?

Yes. Shez mentioned it in his press conference leading up to the Walsall match. Talked as tho he’d be considered but for the injury. 

Edited by boundaryblue80

Hope we dont play 3 at the back, Wilson, Gerrard and Clarke have no pace which will lead to a deep defensive back line and with no one putting thier foot on the ball in midfield, more thank likely lead to hoof ball to Holloway who isnt holding much up at the minute.  

Gardner will more than likely come in. Give Kyeremeh a run on lthe left,  McLaughlin on right and take ur pick of the rest for other cm spot, maybe give B. Wilson a go at a holding role in front of back 4 if he could do it, couldnt do much worse than Green or Fane??  

Would put Tope and Duffus up top, people have said Duffus has pace, hasnt shown it yet but thought is if we are gonna go longish from the back, play long down the channels instead of through the middle, turn Wigan around and let Tope and Duffus use thier speed to cause trouble and run onto the balls.   If anything you would hope it would be more difficult for the ball to come straight back at us ala Wasall with neither Holloway or Davies winning much down the middle.  

Think Clarke and Gerrard will start no matter what.

Edited by deckyd

5 minutes ago, deckyd said:

Hope we dont play 3 at the back, Wilson, Gerrard and Clarke have no pace which will lead to a deep defensive back line and with no one putting thier foot on the ball in midfield, more thank likely lead to hoof ball to Holloway who isnt holding much up at the minute.  

Gardner will more than likely come in. Give Kyeremeh a run on lthe left,  McLaughlin on right and take ur pick of the rest for other cm spot, maybe give B. Wilson a go at a holding role in front of back 4 if he could do it, couldnt do much worse than Green or Fane??  

Would put Tope and Duffus up top, people have said Duffus has pace, hasnt shown it yet but thought is if we are gonna go longish from the back, play long down the channels instead of through the middle, turn Wigan around and let Tope and Duffus use thier speed to cause trouble and run onto the balls.   If anything you would hope it would be more difficult for the ball to come straight back at us ala Wasall with neither Holloway or Davies winning much down the middle.  

Think Clarke and Gerrard will start no matter what.

You have hit the nail on the head ref playing 3 at the back. They are slow but it can still work if there is a Kelly/Korey Smith type sat in front of them that constantly makes themself available and can take care of the ball as a quick option. The forward press then starts from them rather than a long ball from one of the 3 cb's. 

12 hours ago, Laticfanatic1 said:

Flynn couldn't catch the team today, can't see him being involved next week, probably one of the players Sheridan wants out.

12 hours ago, dec666 said:

Flynn has got an Achilles injury.

I wish he'd just stick Flynn in the team and leave him there. He didn't play all those games at Sheff Utd for no reason.....

4 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Massive difference between fit and match fit. Only playing can get u match fit, he can't be thrown in

Not always the case, some players can slot straight in after months out. As a creative midfielder Gardner can do this IMO.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

He's going to have to be some enforcer with the other players in that midfield who is he Roy Keane in his prime?

Plenty about, Shez will already be making moves to bring him in.

44 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I wish he'd just stick Flynn in the team and leave him there. He didn't play all those games at Sheff Utd for no reason.....

I understand that but everytime he's played always looks disinterested, just happy to pick up a wage. I'd try and ship him out before the window finishes.

55 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

And Sheff Utd weren’t shit (at one point stuck in the relegation spots) for no reason. They move him on...hey presto...

Edited by boundaryblue80

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

He's a player with real quality but sadly he's got no heart. That said, we're so devoid of creativity I'd be tempted to do the same. Shez will probably stick Gardner in there though to do the same thing, although the former has better pedigree. 

6 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

He's a player with real quality but sadly he's got no heart. That said, we're so devoid of creativity I'd be tempted to do the same. Shez will probably stick Gardner in there though to do the same thing, although the former has better pedigree. 

He's a tidy little player. 

And another that many on OWTB seem to want to be something he's not. 

It's a bit of a theme on here of late - ball playing midfielder Banks must become a tough tackling enforcer, tough tackling Fane must become Shez in his prime, winger Kyeremeh who's played 18 games in his career MUST start and will be our saviour but should be played behind the front two not as the winger he is.... :lol:

New keeper

Hunt

Clarke

Gerrard

New Left back

New  Central Defensive Midfielder

McLaughlin

Gardner

New Centre Mid

Kyeremeh 

One striker from Obadeyi/Davies/Holloway/Duffus whoever looks best in training this week and is prepared to put a shift in.

I know it's not Shez style to play effectively a 4-1-4-1 but until we have the right player we are pissing in the wind trying to play 2 up top as the midfield currently has no desire and more importantly lacks the ability to support either the front two or protect the back four, a back three would be suicide as we'd be ripped apart by most teams especially on these summer pitches, for me we need the protection of that holding midfielder at the moment and that would be my priority followed by a competent left back with a left foot that gives us some balance.

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

New  Central Defensive Midfielder

When you and others say "defensive midfielder" do you mean that literally? 

We're more in need of an all rounder aren't we? A midfield general type. Someone who can tackle a bit, organise, play a bit & score a few goals...