Peterborough (H)

Whoever's in charge (and I hope it's Shez) I reckon we should go back to basics and play 4-4-2.

Ruddy/Placide

Dummigan

Clarke

Gerrard

Hunt

Queensy

Byrne

Bryan

Nepomuceno

Davies

Doyle

It's not without it's flaws.  I'm far from convinced about any of our keepers.  The Clarke and Gerrard partnership clearly lacks mobility but is there anyone else who is fit or able?  While Byrne and Bryan are good players I think they might have a tough time in a 2 man midfield.

But if Bryan gives Clarke and Gerrard good protection and the full backs work well then we should improve defensively.  Which still leaves us with a decent 5 attacking minded players to cause them problems.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Whoever's in charge (and I hope it's Shez) I reckon we should go back to basics and play 4-4-2.

Ruddy/Placide

Dummigan

Clarke

Gerrard

Hunt

Queensy

Byrne

Bryan

Nepomuceno

Davies

Doyle

It's not without it's flaws.  I'm far from convinced about any of our keepers.  The Clarke and Gerrard partnership clearly lacks mobility but is there anyone else who is fit or able?  While Byrne and Bryan are good players I think they might have a tough time in a 2 man midfield.

But if Bryan gives Clarke and Gerrard good protection and the full backs work well then we should improve defensively.  Which still leaves us with a decent 5 attacking minded players to cause them problems.

What's Gardner done wrong to merit being dropped?

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

What's Gardner done wrong to merit being dropped?

If you read the other thread, apparently he was slipping quite a lot yesterday, which made him look clumsy and poor in comparison. He most probably had the wrong studs on. I read that Davies changed his, maybe Gardner should have done the same.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

If you read the other thread, apparently he was slipping quite a lot yesterday, which made him look clumsy and poor in comparison. He most probably had the wrong studs on. I read that Davies changed his, maybe Gardner should have done the same.

According to Monty's report Gardner was playing well when subbed. I suspect he wasnt 100% fit after the heavy knock he received last week.

I think the fault lies fairly and squarely with the defence. Perhaps bring Fane back into midfield to provide a bit more tackling, other than that I like Gardner, Byrne and Bryan, don't know who I'd leave out.

Playing 3 at the back only works if the wing backs can be decent full backs as well, but too many times Edmundson and Gerrard are being exposed on the flanks. Time to try to get some stability and play a back four in my opinion. Brian Wilson must come into the reckoning, and maybe Rob Hunt. Leave Gerrard out for a while and possibly Edmundson too. 

Felt sorry for Shez in his post match interview, he needs to be tougher with those that aren't pulling their weight. Looks like he realises that now, but it may be too late for him.

COYB!!

For me there have been 2 positives since the window ended... Doyle and Davies partnership. And the midfield 3 of Byrne, Bryan and Gardner. 

We need to stick with both of those aspects of the team. 

But I have no idea how to fit the rest of the formation around them. 

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

For me there have been 2 positives since the window ended... Doyle and Davies partnership. And the midfield 3 of Byrne, Bryan and Gardner. 

Diamond? The 5 you've mentioned, plus McLaughlin have meant that 3-5-2 is the only way to fit them in, really. 

Bring someone into midfield, whoever is the least shit of Fane/Banks/Manouche/Omrani/Green, go 4 at the back with Hunt and maybe Dummingan to give us some mobility, and put Clarke and Gerrard as a 2?

16 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Diamond? The 5 you've mentioned, plus McLaughlin have meant that 3-5-2 is the only way to fit them in, really. 

Bring someone into midfield, whoever is the least shit of Fane/Banks/Manouche/Omrani/Green, go 4 at the back with Hunt and maybe Dummingan to give us some mobility, and put Clarke and Gerrard as a 2?

I thought Bryan has played centre back, maybe worth a try there?

36 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Placide

B Wilson 

Clarke

Bryan

Hunt

Queensy 

Gardner 

Byrne 

Nepomuceno 

Doyle 

Davies 

30 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Have a feeling Fane will be preferred to Queensy in a 4-1-3-2.

Could work that. I can't see Gevaro being dropped though or Gardner being used so far forward when everything's been set up around him playing deep since pre-season...

4-3-3 would be relatively solid and get us our strongest, most in form 11 on the field in my eyes

Placide (or Wilson if he's really so bad)

Edmundson/Dummigan (I'd rather keep playing GE and see if he can learn from his mistakes and kick on) 

Clarke

Gerrard

Hunt

Gardner

Byrne

Bryan

Davies 

Doyle

Gevaro

Thing is, he surely meant dropping one of Clarke or Gerrard in his post match comments...? 

Maybe Brian Wilson in for him? 

24 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Could work that. I can't see Gevaro being dropped though or Gardner being used so far forward when everything's been set up around him playing deep since pre-season...

4-3-3 would be relatively solid and get us our strongest, most in form 11 on the field in my eyes

Placide (or Wilson if he's really so bad)

Edmundson/Dummigan (I'd rather keep playing GE and see if he can learn from his mistakes and kick on) 

Clarke

Gerrard

Hunt

Gardner

Byrne

Bryan

Davies 

Doyle

Gevaro

Thing is, he surely meant dropping one of Clarke or Gerrard in his post match comments...? 

Maybe Brian Wilson in for him? 

This is probably where I'd go. I'd rather Dummigan at right back to try and recapture that loan form. Wilson at cb with Clarke. Keep the midfield 3 as is. 

I'd be tempted by a punt on Queensy in the front 3. Apart from the occasional good cross I'm not that thrilled by Gevaro. 

14 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

He's no world beater but he's done pretty well so far. I reckon he'll do even better once he doesn't have to do so much defending. 

I've probably just been seduced by Queensy's YouTube videos. I'm only human. 

1 hour ago, josh_latics said:

I just don't think the diamond works, especially at this level. You either play full on wingers but are exposed in the middle, or play central midfielders on the outside of the diamond who then give no width. 

Hunt, Clarke (even though he's been shit), Wilson, Dummigan as the back 4 would be my pick. 

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

They won't but Clarke should be dropped.

I don't know you know. I've just watched Shez's interview again and he's having a pop at "those around him" when he claims Ruddy did nothing wrong. Clarke was shaking his head & rolling his eyes at Ruddy on a few occassions first half in front of us. I assume this got worse at the other end of the pitch second half. 

He could be the one not returning Shez's loyalty....

33 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This is probably where I'd go. I'd rather Dummigan at right back to try and recapture that loan form. Wilson at cb with Clarke. Keep the midfield 3 as is. 

I didnt go to Rotherham so can't comment on that game, but I've been to most this season and each time, Gerrard has been much better than Clarke. If anyone needs dropping at the moment, it's our captain...