Doyle/Byrne Value

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Apparently it's not enough to be able to win the ball, beat players, play killer passes and score goals. It seems that there's a minimum height requirement too, like on rollercoasters. 

So all those players who were released as juniors for being too small were lying were they?

Some might have come back and made it but how many didnt.

I would wait until we play on the mudheaps

Edited by ChaddySmoker

27 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Apparently it's not enough to be able to win the ball, beat players, play killer passes and score goals. It seems that there's a minimum height requirement too, like on rollercoasters. 

He's 5' 11/12" give or take.  Now speaking as a member of the land of the giants club (i.e,.chains stores don't sell trouseres in my leg length) I think he's a short@rse.  But probably not really :)

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

He's 5' 11/12" give or take.  Now speaking as a member of the land of the giants club (i.e,.chains stores don't sell trouseres in my leg length) I think he's a short@rse.  But probably not really :)

Wiki has him as 5 foot 9, which supports my guess that he's 5 foot 3 or 4.

24 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

So all those players who were released as juniors for being too small were lying were they?

Some might have come back and made it but how many didnt.

I would wait until we play on the mudheaps

Kevin Keegan was rejected by Coventry and Doncaster as a youngster for being too small. On balance, being a good player seems more important than anything else to me. 

1 hour ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

It's the only thing holding Messi back apparently.....

Just now, leeslover said:

I believe he was technically a dwarf. They gave him growth hormones as a kid.

Mmmmmm perhaps after his playing days are over he will appear in the movies. The hormones didn't work in the height direction.

I have met Byrne. I am 5/10 and he was a whisker short of me . So 5/9 sounds right. Lets compare. Bobby Johnstone(Latics best ever midfielder) 5/7. Bobby Collins(70 odd caps for scotland) 5/2. Bert Lister(99 goals in 140games) 5/9. What of our 2 yard dogs. Henry and Milligan. Aprox 5/9. Jim Fryatt(best header of a ball ever,at any level) 5/11. What does it matter as long as they can deliver results.

4 minutes ago, Wee Bobby said:

I have met Byrne. I am 5/10 and he was a whisker short of me . So 5/9 sounds right. Lets compare. Bobby Johnstone(Latics best ever midfielder) 5/7. Bobby Collins(70 odd caps for scotland) 5/2. Bert Lister(99 goals in 140games) 5/9. What of our 2 yard dogs. Henry and Milligan. Aprox 5/9. Jim Fryatt(best header of a ball ever,at any level) 5/11. What does it matter as long as they can deliver results.

Whilst I agree with your last sentence we've got to acknowledge that the players you mention were up against opposition that were themselves less physically imposing than nowadays.  

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:05 PM, leeslover said:

I believe he was technically a dwarf. They gave him growth hormones as a kid.

I was quite small when I was around 15 and got my Mum to take me to the doctor as I was worried I may be a dwarf.  As I'm 6'4" it woudl appear that whatever they gave me worked...

29 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I was quite small when I was around 15 and got my Mum to take me to the doctor as I was worried I may be a dwarf.  As I'm 6'4" it woudl appear that whatever they gave me worked...

Was there a point where you subsequently became worried that you might be a giant and got her to take you back to the same doctor?

Bobby Johnstone was 5'3 , however he was a wizard with a leather ball that weighed a ton when it was wet. I know his height because Man City had a height restriction on players and when he joined from Hibs he just scrapped in. Alas my dad was given a junior contract at 16 but never grew above 5'1 so he finished up in the Tuesday league. 

Bobby Johnstone was 5'3 , however he was a wizard with a leather ball that weighed a ton when it was wet. I know his height because Man City had a height restriction on players and when he joined from Hibs he just scrapped in. Alas my dad was given a junior contract at 16 but never grew above 5'1 so he finished up in the Tuesday league.