Wide ranging article in MEN (& OT) Doyle out 8/9 wks Menig returning, Davies away etc

Quite a lot in this article across many posts.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/oldham-athletic-richie-wellens-latics-14114218

Menig returning, loan cut short

Interest in Davies likely to go

still trying to bring back Doyle, Byrne & bryan

Not  4-6 weeks but 8/9 weeks for Doyle

Edited by singe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrne musn't know if he's coming or going with Wellens.

Clarke departure sounds like a case of needs must, more us throwing him out the door rather than him being desperate to leave.

Doyle might be one for the end of the window, no chance we sign him permanently but another loan.

Edited by deyres42

2 minutes ago, bozman said:

Interesting. That sounds like he is prepared to let Davies go if he can get the type of striker he wants in as a replacement.

Possibly Doyle.

He's a big risk though. He will be out till March, and we could be in freefall by then. If he then returns t form.

Losing Menig, Ruddy, Wilson, Clarke and Davies but keeping Byrne,  Bryan and poss doyle will be good business all round. Can't be that simple!

19 minutes ago, bozman said:

Interesting. That sounds like he is prepared to let Davies go if he can get the type of striker he wants in as a replacement.

Reading between the line was he not saying Davies and Holloway are too similar and we need something different but nobody's gonna want Holloway so we might have to let CD go? :grin:

1 minute ago, mick26 said:

Mark Moisley mentioned a while ago that Menig would be leaving in January - shame it's not worked out, I think he's got more to offer than Nepo.

Hope we get Byrne, Bryan and Doyle back asap plus a couple more otherwise we're in trouble.

Menig will probably have the better career but Gevaro is a better "fit" for us.... 

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

Reading between the line was he not saying Davies and Holloway are too similar and we need something different but nobody's gonna want Holloway so we might have to let CD go? :grin:

Yes, that's probably true.

30 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Byrne musn't know if he's coming or going with Wellens.

Clarke departure sounds like a case of needs must, more us throwing him out the door rather than him being desperate to leave.

Doyle might be one for the end of the window, no chance we sign him permanently but another loan.

Byrne isn’t coming back. Managers don’t speak like that about a player they stand a chance of re-signing.

Menig thoroughly disappointing. Had a better CV than Byrne but didn’t look half the player. Maybe struggled to adapt.

JCH wouldn’t get in ahead of Holloway or Davies for me. He’s a downgrade.

Edited by NewBlue

7 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'd also describe Clarke-Harris as too similar to Davies and Holloway, am I wrong?

I'd rather have Davies out of the 3 

100% agree, especially about them being similar, only losing Davies if it is we gain Doyle.

52 minutes ago, bozman said:

23 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'd also describe Clarke-Harris as too similar to Davies and Holloway, am I wrong?

I'd rather have Davies out of the 3 

In the Oldham Times article, I think he is a bit clearer about wanting to keep Davies

Probably just me being a tad thick, but what, exactly, does Wellens mean when he says...

“Clubs will just come and blow you out of the water financially. The player might want to come to you but his parent club will say we can’t send him to you because this other club is going to pay his whole wage.

I can't get me head around this statement.

Edited by Wardie
Actually, it just clicked.

5 hours ago, singe said:

Quite a lot in this article across many posts.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/oldham-athletic-richie-wellens-latics-14114218

Menig returning, loan cut short

Interest in Davies likely to go

still trying to bring back Doyle, Byrne & bryan

Not  4-6 weeks but 8/9 weeks for Doyle

Why wasn’t this fairly in depth interview conducted by ifollow Latics, and why isn’t it on the Latics website?

4 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Clarke-Harris maybe quicker and more mobile?

Clarke-Harris scored 7 in 45 games for us. He’s scored 9 in 69 for Rotherham.

Davies on the other hand has scored 10 in half a season. 

Being more mobile is all well and good but scoring goals is all a striker needs to do and I’m afraid 16 goals in 114 is woeful for a centre forward. 

Cant see the sense in letting Davies go for a minimal fee if JCH is to be his replacement.

12 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Why wasn’t this fairly in depth interview conducted by ifollow Latics, and why isn’t it on the Latics website?

Check again tòmorrow.

The manager does a press conference on a Thursday. The first part is conducted by the Latics media guy and goes on ifollow soon after.

In the second part, any journalist who has turned up gets to ask any additional questions they have. This is also filmed but doesn't go on ifollow straight away. 

The journalists have 24 hours to get their stories out  on their media platforms. Usually the video is then posted on ifollow as 'press conference part 2'  the following afternoon.

This seems like a pretty fair system to me. It allows the journos to get some decent new content out there before it goes on ifollow.

The reason a lot of the info wasn't in the first ifollow interview is that the Latics media guy didn't ask any questions about Davies, Menig, the takeover etc.