BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 30th Aug '21 Episode 47: This is How it Feels (to beat Sutton)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Owners who keep it in the family and indulge in mutual back-slapping.

Owners who think that a couple of good results will placate everyone.

It all sounds very Oystonesque to me. 

Karl Oysten has a 9 figure net worth Abdullah Lemsagam can't even afford to pay back a loan from the EFL.

Would you argue that the Oystens could financially afford to hold off some of the protests bearing in mind he managed to put together a promotion chasing side from this level. Something way beyond our current owner were you ever under the same kind of transfer restrictions? 

This is why I'm confident he will be forced to go within about 2 years anyway I feel this is a fundamental difference between our current situation and yours what do you think?

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Karl Oysten has a 9 figure net worth Abdullah Lemsagam can't even afford to pay back a loan from the EFL.

Would you argue that the Oystens could financially afford to hold off some of the protests bearing in mind he managed to put together a promotion chasing side from this level. Something way beyond our current owner were you ever under the same kind of transfer restrictions? 

This is why I'm confident he will be forced to go within about 2 years anyway I feel this is a fundamental difference between our current situation and yours what do you think?

It wasn't Karl, it was Owen. Karl doesn't have a pot to piss in.

You are wrong, I'm afraid, to say that the Oyston's "put together" the promotion winning side. That team was funded from the £4.5m that Valeri Belokon put in when he joined the Board in 2007. It was his money that paid for Adam and Vaughan and for the wages of loanees like Campbell and Coleman. 

The issue about transfer restrictions is something of a red herring too. We were never in a position of overspending, or facing insolvency. That was why we never got a points deduction when we were placed in Receivership, because we were never at any time subject to an insolvency event. The problem at our club was. not one of spending money we didn't have. It was in fact  one where  the owners siphoned off the PL monies that we DID have. 

Where we do agree is that our two situations aren't wholly analogous. But there are some striking resemblances in terms of behaviour. Which is what I was getting at in my last post. I was maybe a bit TOO cryptic.

7 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

You are wrong, I'm afraid, to say that the Oyston's "put together" the promotion winning side. That team was funded from the £4.5m that Valeri Belokon put in when he joined the Board in 2007. It was his money that paid for Adam and Vaughan and for the wages of loanees like Campbell and Coleman. 

The issue about transfer restrictions is something of a red herring too. We were never in a position of overspending, or facing insolvency. That was why we never got a points deduction when we were placed in Receivership, because we were never at any time subject to an insolvency event. The problem at our club was. not one of spending money we didn't have. It was in fact  one where  the owners siphoned off the PL monies that we DID have. 

Where we do agree is that our two situations aren't wholly analogous. But there are some striking resemblances in terms of behaviour. Which is what I was getting at in my last post. I was maybe a bit TOO cryptic.

There are similarities but our situation is very different to Blackpool’s in many ways. Our issues with our owner are more subtle. Poor management of a business (which is putting it mildly but ultimately that’s what it is) is not as outwardly shocking as what was happening at Blackpool. Our situation is more nuanced. That makes it really hard for us to get people behind our cause.

Someone has to be bottom of the EFL and the size of our fanbase says we are a candidate for that. That’s what the lay person football fan sees.

I just don’t think we are seen externally as being on the at risk register other than to people in the know. 

8 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

I think @GlossopLaticwas referring to your 4th division promotion in 2016/17 under the management of Gary Bowyer, when you were already boycotting/protesting. Christine Seddon told us (on the podcast) the Oysten’s put some money in to make you competitive in an attempt to upset the boycott. It didn’t work. The difference we have here, is that our clowns haven’t got the money to have a go at that…. In fact, we’ve even less than everyone else (we’re under embargo / Simon Jordan said we had the lowest budget in L2) & even when they did (spend some money), they blew it all on terrible footballers anyway.

8 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

The side that got promotion I was referring to was the side that Gary Bowyer took out of league 2 in what was it 2017? The money that Belokon put in will have been gone by then. This was when the boycotts were in full swing. The fact they were able to do that probably proves it was harder for you to get rid of the Oystens than for us to get rid of the Lemsagams.  I can't see them lasting they are in trouble they will have to either sell the club or go into administration in the next few years. Their is nepotism in both cases though you are right.

55 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The side that got promotion I was referring to was the side that Gary Bowyer took out of league 2 in what was it 2017? The money that Belokon put in will have been gone by then. This was when the boycotts were in full swing. The fact they were able to do that probably proves it was harder for you to get rid of the Oystens than for us to get rid of the Lemsagams.  I can't see them lasting they are in trouble they will have to either sell the club or go into administration in the next few years. Their is nepotism in both cases though you are right.

I've got you now, sorry ; NOW I understand your point properly, and it's a good one. 

Whether our job was harder than yours is an interesting point. The fact that your position is more "nuanced" (to use Andy's word) DOES make it harder for YOU in some ways, I guess, because as he says, there isn't the same level of pantomime villainy here, is there? 

The thing that has surprised me over the last couple of years (and was referred to by someone earlier) is that more people don't know of the situation you are in. I've known for a couple of years that  you had real problems and to be honest I tipped you to go down last year. But a lot of people out there still need to be educated about what you are contending with (I think Scunthorpe fans would see some similarities with where they are). I don't know what it is about the NW of England, but it really is the epicentre of mismanagement in English football.

I think you would make a good case study for the FSA to be honest. If we get a new regulator, this is precisely the kind of difficult case that the statutory powers have to be able to cope with, and precisely the difficult situation that the intelligence gathering and whistle blowing provisions will have to be able to cope with. There is a lot to learn from your plight for lots and lots of people, quite apart from the basic morality of the whole thing.

• Matt unfeatured this topic
  • 3 months later...

Anyonelse got this stocking filler yesterday?

I'm already half way through it. We all know alot about what happened but its the individual storied that you love to hear such as Mike Milligan being on a building site telling everyone he was going to play at Maine Road or how Dr Kelso cured Paul Warhursts asthma problems. How Andy Barlow would seek out the opposition and "advise" them on footwear.

You also appreciate how shrewd the likes of Alan Hardy and Ian Stott were when running the club with little or no input from majority share holders Lees Brewery. Unfortunately both reputations were tarnished abit with what happened between 1994-2000 but both need to be remembered for their operating of the club in the 80's. Royles creativity in the Transfer market  and his Man-management go without question but we know this as does Jim cassells eye for talent.

The book seems really well researched and goes just beyond just saying what happened on the pitch. It does appear aswell that John Battye was a fan and genuinely wanted the club to succeed its a shame for him in a way that he never really delivered later on on some of the "ambitious plans for new stadiums"

25 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Anyonelse got this stocking filler yesterday?

I'm already half way through it. We all know alot about what happened but its the individual storied that you love to hear such as Mike Milligan being on a building site telling everyone he was going to play at Maine Road or how Dr Kelso cured Paul Warhursts asthma problems. How Andy Barlow would seek out the opposition and "advise" them on footwear.

You also appreciate how shrewd the likes of Alan Hardy and Ian Stott were when running the club with little or no input from majority share holders Lees Brewery. Unfortunately both reputations were tarnished abit with what happened between 1994-2000 but both need to be remembered for their operating of the club in the 80's. Royles creativity in the Transfer market  and his Man-management go without question but we know this.

The book seems really well researched and goes just beyond just saying what happened on the pitch. It does appear aswell that John Battye was a fan and genuinely wanted the club to succeed its a shame for him in a way that he never really delivered later on on some of the "ambitious plans for new stadiums"

Wasn't it the Lib Dems who thwarted John Battye's Sports Park 2000.

If that had happened there'd have been no North Stand, no Blitz and probably no AL.

It's strange how fate can turn on one decision.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Wasn't it the Lib Dems who thwarted John Battye's Sports Park 2000.

If that had happened there'd have been no North Stand, no Blitz and probably no AL.

It's strange how fate can turn on one decision.

Think so, but it was just number of plans that went by the way side. The lesson is from that and from Failsworth is that we probably shouldn't involve the involve the politicians to get a stadium built because they have to leap through a huge amount of beaurocracy to get things through.

Also @BP1960 did you ever work with Jim Cassell seems quite an extraordinary guy.

Archived