BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 11th Apr '22 Episode 79: Destiny Calling

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

Agreed, however from a financial perspective and sustainability and dare I say the opportunity to have a little success will always be extremely limited if we can't generate income except for 23 days a year. Imagine having a business with expenses 365 days a year but only having 23 days a year to bring income in? It would be ok if we were renting the ground from say the council but operated the whole thing 7 days a week allowing the club generate other income streams.

Yep exactly - think we have between us answered the question of whittles left foot who asked why it's a priority to buy the ground!

I see people talking about finding a new ground, but how would this actually pan out in terms of attendances, club identity, etc etc. Obviously lots of other clubs have done it but for me buying back BP is the only option and moving elsewhere should be an absolute last resort. 

Is it correct that the council contributed to the north stand, but as the club owed Blitz he's now taken over ownership of it? Unbelievable that the council would knowingly allow that to happen...

3 minutes ago, greengrass said:

Yep exactly - think we have between us answered the question of whittles left foot who asked why it's a priority to buy the ground!

I see people talking about finding a new ground, but how would this actually pan out in terms of attendances, club identity, etc etc. Obviously lots of other clubs have done it but for me buying back BP is the only option and moving elsewhere should be an absolute last resort. 

Is it correct that the council contributed to the north stand, but as the club owed Blitz he's now taken over ownership of it? Unbelievable that the council would knowingly allow that to happen...

Did the council even know?

11 hours ago, wiseowl said:

First coined in the English Civil War when Royalist prisoners were literally "sent to Coventry". The city was strongly Parliamentarian and, therefore, nobody would speak to the Royalists - they were completely shunned. 

Well I learn something new everyday. Thanks

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, greengrass said:

I really struggle with how this could have happened, if it did.  Anybody buying any property will expect their solicitors to look at covenants, charges, other restrictions etc.  That's n different if you are buying a flat, a house, a business premises, whatever.  it beggars belief that a multi-million pound transaction can have gone through without the existence of such a restriction coming to the attention of the buyer and their agents and it either being dealt with or it preventing the deal going ahead.

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s literally not. 

Boundary Park is still our home- Rochdale or the like isn’t. 

It's our rented home. It does not belong to the football club and as it stands we will be out of it in 9 years.

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I really struggle with how this could have happened, if it did.  Anybody buying any property will expect their solicitors to look at covenants, charges, other restrictions etc.  That's n different if you are buying a flat, a house, a business premises, whatever.  it beggars belief that a multi-million pound transaction can have gone through without the existence of such a restriction coming to the attention of the buyer and their agents and it either being dealt with or it preventing the deal going ahead.

Agreed, unless both parties were aware of it and completely ignored it???

Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council

My memory fades but their treatment of, and broken promises to, Oldham Rugby were shameful.

Different councils over many years have squandered literally £ tens of millions of taxpayer's money on various hair-brained schemes. Now, wouldn't it be a fantastic asset for the borough if they were to fund either a) BP or b) a new stadium for use of Oldham Athletic, Oldham Rugby AND THE COMMUNITY.

Perhaps this is where a major chunk of effort should be expended? Approached properly, this should be a relatively easy "sell" to the council i.e. not just slagging them off (as we always tend to do!) but preparing a professional, outline "vision" document to persuade them that this really would be a superb asset for the borough as a whole. Funding guaranteed - all our ground problems gone in a flash.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PeteG said:

It's our rented home. It does not belong to the football club and as it stands we will be out of it in 9 years.

I’m aware. But it’s still home. Even in our rented circumstances more fans will come always come to boundary park than somewhere like Rochdale. 

Which goes to the heart of whittles question. 

It would be much easier to build back from BP (assuming a new owner buys the lot) than playing somewhere and trying to find a ground or buy a ground. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council

My memory fades but their treatment of, and broken promises to, Oldham Rugby were shameful.

Different councils over many years have squandered literally £ tens of millions of taxpayer's money on various hair-brained schemes. Now, wouldn't it be a fantastic asset for the borough if they were to fund either a) BP or b) a new stadium for use of Oldham Athletic, Oldham Rugby AND THE COMMUNITY.

Perhaps this is where a major chunk of effort should be expended? Approached properly, this should be a relatively easy "sell" to the council i.e. not just slagging them off (as we always tend to do!) but preparing a professional, outline "vision" document to persuade them that this really would be a superb asset for the borough as a whole. Funding guaranteed - all our ground problems gone in a flash.

It’s a fair and reasoned view, I just don’t fancy the chances of getting 5-10 million out of the council. 

1 hour ago, greengrass said:

I get your point but surely the difference there, and the point he's making, is that at least this is "our" rented ground and not sharing with another club. Would be a lot more dire if it was a team of our shit players with our badge on but playing at spotland every other week... 

That was exactly my point. 

• Like 1

Just now, League one forever said:

It’s a fair and reasoned view, I just don’t fancy the chances of getting 5-10 million out of the council. 

You never know but i could see the council's reluctance having previously stumped up over £5 million 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Where's your evidence of this then, that's quite some claim.

It's all in the council meeting minutes which I think are in the public domain or at least available if you request them.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

However, they have access to grants, low interest loans.

There us a massive levelling up agenda, stuff around Northern powerhouse too as well as other stuff. Bury managed to get I think 1million to buy ground back via DCMS....we just need a funding guru to maximise it all really. 

Little known fact, as there is a ACV on the stadium still, council can CPO it if there was a dire enough situation.

This is a very interesting debate and view points being expressed in a respectful manner....thanks everyone

Edited by underdog
  • Like 3

Just now, underdog said:

There us a massive levelling up agenda, stuff around Northern powerhouse too as well as other stuff. Bury managed to get I think 1million to buy ground back via DCMS....we just need a funding guru to maximise it all really. 

Little known fact, as there is a ACV on the stadium still, council can CPO it if there was a dire enough situation.

That's interesting that the council can CPO it, problem is the valuation, aren't we talking treble what Gigg Lane went for?

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

That's interesting that the council can CPO it, problem is the valuation, aren't we talking treble what Gigg Lane went for?

That would be another costing.

I believe a RICS surveyor charges about £800.00 per hour.

It was part of the Pre-ACV trigger work OASF started 12 months ago. What's for sale

Running costs

Remedial work...think 2 new stands

Business plan for next 3yrs.

That kind of stuff....

Now there are other pockets of land at BP too. Do we factor in little Wembley, car parks and Plumpton clough?

What do we all think it's all worth, bearing in mind some pockets of land may have housing value now and lapsed housing permissions

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Where's your evidence of this then, that's quite some claim.

It's not a claim either, it's surely a well known fact the council stumped up that sort of money and it's not up for debate. What might be up for debate is who that money was intended for.

23 minutes ago, underdog said:

This is a very interesting debate and view points being expressed in a respectful manner....thanks everyone

I would absolutely love the council to put a CPO on BP- I may even do a little dance. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I would absolutely love the council to put a CPO on BP- I may even do a little dance. 

Agreed and knowing this surely this is where as fans our efforts should be aimed.

2 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Agreed and knowing this surely this is where as fans our efforts should be aimed.

problem being that if they put a CPO on it, they can use it for whatever they have identified as priorities for the Borough. Would that be a sports complex or housing?

3 minutes ago, Mercater said:

problem being that if they put a CPO on it, they can use it for whatever they have identified as priorities for the Borough. Would that be a sports complex or housing?

Understand what you are saying but surely the Council can see the importance for the local economy of having a thriving football/rugby team as well as providing sporting facilities for the community as a whole.

2 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Understand what you are saying but surely the Council can see the importance for the local economy of having a thriving football/rugby team as well as providing sporting facilities for the community as a whole.

Well if they do they haven't been making a very good fist of showing it. And are they commited to providing such a facility as they are having to develop X amount of new dwellings by whenever. New houses bring economic development to an area as well, 365 days a year and attract new business as well.

5 minutes ago, Mercater said:

Well if they do they haven't been making a very good fist of showing it. And are they commited to providing such a facility as they are having to develop X amount of new dwellings by whenever. New houses bring economic development to an area as well, 365 days a year and attract new business as well.

That's a fair point but i'm the eternal optimist!