If Only !

If only DKD had scored the penalty against Carlisle would we be where we are now?

I am sure that at 2-0 we would have gone on to win that game against a team who were struggling like us at the time. With the new manager bounce we could have followed up with a couple more wins in following matches. I know there are 46 games a season and were plenty more opportunities but in hindsight, which is a wonderful thing, this was a significant point? 

8 minutes ago, petera1 said:

If only DKD had scored the penalty against Carlisle would we be where we are now?

I am sure that at 2-0 we would have gone on to win that game against a team who were struggling like us at the time. With the new manager bounce we could have followed up with a couple more wins in following matches. I know there are 46 games a season and were plenty more opportunities but in hindsight, which is a wonderful thing, this was a significant point? 

Things even themselves out. So for every one of these, you can point to an opposition player missing a sitter and giving us the points in the process 

14 minutes ago, petera1 said:

I said this at the time. It was a huge moment. You could also tell when we just kept missing countless sitters and teams would run up the other end and just score. The universe just simply wanted us down. 

15 minutes ago, petera1 said:

Said the same to my old man during the week. Seemed a massive turning point in the momentum we had at the time and never recovered. 

If he’d missed it when we were already 1-0 up maybe I’d I agree. But it was 0-0 and then we rallied again to take the lead. Might not have happened if the pen had gone in, might have sat back on the lead.

More annoying on how important that game was, was the travelling. We played Colchester away and the rearranged Crawley away for the midweek. The players were shattered by the time we played Carlisle. Shez said himself he couldn’t understand who agreed to that fixture schedule (was agreed before he returned) I’m sure it was within our power to agree when Crawley (a) was rearranged and no-one thought to question what that meant in terms of fatigue on a small squad. Idiots.

2 hours ago, petera1 said:

Yep. Said to the kids on the way out of that match ‘we’re in trouble now’. 

28 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

If he’d missed it when we were already 1-0 up maybe I’d I agree. But it was 0-0 and then we rallied again to take the lead. Might not have happened if the pen had gone in, might have sat back on the lead.

More annoying on how important that game was, was the travelling. We played Colchester away and the rearranged Crawley away for the midweek. The players were shattered by the time we played Carlisle. Shez said himself he couldn’t understand who agreed to that fixture schedule (was agreed before he returned) I’m sure it was within our power to agree when Crawley (a) was rearranged and no-one thought to question what that meant in terms of fatigue on a small squad. Idiots.

Exactly right, the missed penalty was before we took the lead. 

Far more important was the team not coming out for the second half in that match, and the Chuckle Brothers' utter incompetence as owners.

29 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Yeah, if we'd have scored the penalty, we wouldn't necessarily have scored the second.  We lost the second-half 2-0.  That's what did us.

Hart's penalty v Exeter was probably more important, as was Missilou's at Forest Green - we might have pushed on for the equaliser.

While we're on penalties, I didn't realise Sutton missed a penalty at Barrow on Saturday.  They can fuck off as well...

If only the clowns had thought having a striker was a good idea....

What kind of idiot takes an advance payment (loan) which virtually guarantees a catastrophic reduction in future income and essentially destroys any hope of recovering your investment?

It is probably unfair to pinpoint one particular moment as it was more a collection of bad decisions, bad performances, bad luck etc that has made us drop. A friend of mine said after the Carlisle game "we will look back at that in May as a major moment," but it was still when I was at the "deffo staying up" stage.

The first moment I thought it was a strong possibility was the Piergianni red card against Northampton. Our defeat that day, plus the Barrow/Stevenage results, added to the thought of Jamile Matt and Matt Smith playing against our defence minus Piergianni got me thinking we might be in a spot of bother after all...

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

It is probably unfair to pinpoint one particular moment as it was more a collection of bad decisions, bad performances, bad luck etc that has made us drop. A friend of mine said after the Carlisle game "we will look back at that in May as a major moment," but it was still when I was at the "deffo staying up" stage.

The first moment I thought it was a strong possibility was the Piergianni red card against Northampton. Our defeat that day, plus the Barrow/Stevenage results, added to the thought of Jamile Matt and Matt Smith playing against our defence minus Piergianni got me thinking we might be in a spot of bother after all...

PS: Yep, I am aware I've said it's unfair to pinpoint one particular moment and then pinpointed one particular moment myself...

26 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

PS: Yep, I am aware I've said it's unfair to pinpoint one particular moment and then pinpointed one particular moment myself...

😕 It's only human nature to look back at all the 'what if's' - we defo deserve to go down, but we defo had no luck either.  Brain fart moments, injuries, so many 95th min point stealing goals.  Carlisle (a) goal wrongly chalked off, Tranmere (h) goal harshly ruled out.  Bad challenges on our players not punished.  You're right, the Pidge red card meant we were as good as relegated after Northampton.  Not even trying to overturn that decision was game over.  But it looks like we could be relegated and be over 10 points below the next team above us.  Not sure if there are enough 'what if' moments to go in our favour that could bridge that gap.

They have had loads of opportunities. They could and should have had a lot more points under shez. Late goals v Newport, Carlisle, Swindon cost us 4 points. 3 missed pens, hope clean through away at Colchester at 1-0 up. They just weren’t good enough and that mainly as we had such bad recruitment due to mo and then wasted 10 games with selim then put nowt into rectifying things in Jan. U can’t lay the blame anywhere else but the ownership. 

Archived