BPAS PODCAST, 1st Aug ‘22: The Dawn of a New Era

One family leaves, one returns and a new one takes charge...what a week for Oldham Athletic! 

You can now support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oldhamathleticsupportersfoundation.comwhere you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

The assumption that we think we’re going to walk the league or whatever is an opinion generated by people outside of our circle, surely?

Having seen four relegations, I have absolutely no doubt that there will be some low points this season. Definitely some classic 0-1 home defeats, that we’ve come to know and love over the years..

This season has to be seen as a bit of a free hit, I think. Don’t get on the players backs if we’re losing or drawing at half-time, as was suggested there. We’re in recovery - as long as we don’t get relegated, just enjoy getting the club back…

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 5

Nice to hear you all talking football and looking forward to something. 

A couple of things :

1) on a "renewed focus for OASF" ; we have faced this challenge at our Trust and it isn't easy. A surprising number of our fans seem to think that as we now have a largely progressive owner that the governance issues no longer matter and the Trust therefore shouldn't invest time and effort on it. It's a remarkable attitude, given the amount of change that looks as though it is just around the corner, but some people do think like that and I daresay you will be no different. So watch out for a line of thinking that goes along the lines of "stop criticising and get behind the club"  (even if they are not doing so well). 

2) I thought the lad from the NL Podcast was very polite. I have to confess, I have no first hand knowledge of the Division in that I don't watch it. But I do study how it goes pretty closely every season and I think you will find it hard. The squad needs a LOT of new blood from where I sit, because you look short of goals and strength in depth (you may find yourself playing fifty odd games if you go well in the two main Cup competitions).  I think you may end up around 16th.  If I was absolutely forced to pick a top 3 they would be Notts County, Halifax and Boreham Wood. My bottom four are Aldershot, Dorking, Wealdstone and Scunthorpe.

• Like 2

• Matt featured this topic
32 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

A couple of things :

1) on a "renewed focus for OASF" ; we have faced this challenge at our Trust and it isn't easy. A surprising number of our fans seem to think that as we now have a largely progressive owner that the governance issues no longer matter and the Trust therefore shouldn't invest time and effort on it. It's a remarkable attitude, given the amount of change that looks as though it is just around the corner, but some people do think like that and I daresay you will be no different. So watch out for a line of thinking that goes along the lines of "stop criticising and get behind the club"  (even if they are not doing so well). 

2) I thought the lad from the NL Podcast was very polite. I have to confess, I have no first hand knowledge of the Division in that I don't watch it. But I do study how it goes pretty closely every season and I think you will find it hard. The squad needs a LOT of new blood from where I sit, because you look short of goals and strength in depth (you may find yourself playing fifty odd games if you go well in the two main Cup competitions).  I think you may end up around 16th.  If I was absolutely forced to pick a top 3 they would be Notts County, Halifax and Boreham Wood. My bottom four are Aldershot, Dorking, Wealdstone and Scunthorpe.

Have you ignored Wrexham deliberately?

3 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

4th mate. The weight of history will be their undoing.**

** I've no idea really. I just don't think they have much more than a lot of money going for them.

They'll be right up there I've no doubt, as for us in 16th I just can't see it, despite our poor pre season there ain't 15 better teams in that division and that's before we strengthen further which I think is a given, anyone who thinks Altrincham will finish above us for instance need their heads testing.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

A couple of things :

^^^ this in buckets. OASF has to be helped to be made stronger.

We learned a harsh lesson from the last exiting owner. Lip service from the very beginning about working with OASF from day one. Would attend all our meetings...leaving the club for the fans blah, blah blah..

Granted, it took him a good 5 months to successfully remove the other exiting owner who was still influencing stuff ( yikes just remembered Corney is a shareholder still)

And then buggered off the the Russian world Cup and then took another 12 months on top of that to form his first board.

Lessons learned and build from it