Signing & Player Rumours

We sign Willoughy and Nuttall adding to Reid, Fondop, Hope, Abraham, Rooney and Porter.  

That’s 8 to choose from for a forward line for 2 possibly 3 if he sticks with the 4-3-3.

If DU can’t get tune from that lot at this level then he deserves to go.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any other time I'd be like a kid at Christmas with all the signings we've made and players we're linked to but it just all feels so flat.

It's a bit like that women on the general election... "Your joking...not another one".

l thought Nuttall was accepted by scunthorpe but he said No?

unless Suzanne meant to say 'an improved offer to Scunthorpe striker Joe Nuttall?

Which actually makes a mockery of players wanting to come and play for the club rather than chasing the money.

I don’t really care as long as he improves the team!!!

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

We sign Willoughy and Nuttall adding to Reid, Fondop, Hope, Abraham, Rooney and Porter.  

That’s 8 to choose from for a forward line for 2 possibly 3 if he sticks with the 4-3-3.

If DU can’t get tune from that lot at this level then he deserves to go.

Can't see Rooney playing as part of a front 3. Needs to be the "roaming" player in a midfield 3 for me. 

You could do a lot worse than Newby, on loan from us (Stockport County) to Alty, if you're looking for a wide forward. He'd be someone who'd roll his socks up and I'd be more confident in being a success for you than Rooney or Reid. 

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Any other time I'd be like a kid at Christmas with all the signings we've made and players we're linked to but it just all feels so flat.

It's a bit like that women on the general election... "Your joking...not another one".

How big is your squad now, out of genuine interest?

Just checked your website. Do you really have 17 defenders on the books?!?!?!

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/teams/first-team/

9 minutes ago, Hatter said:

Just checked your website. Do you really have 17 defenders on the books?!?!?!

not really. a couple have gone back to their parent clubs, a couple are in the wrong section and a couple are kids not played for the first team.

but it is a bloated squad, yes.

You can certainly make a case that both Willoughby and Nuttall are good signings at this level. However my concern here is we've gone to the opposite extreme here with the Manager where we have gone beyond supporting him with signings to indulging him. I wouldn't be sanctioning both of them if I was the Rothwells infact I wouldn't be sanctioning anymore signings for the manager unless results improve. He's had the backing they need to start to deliver.

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You can certainly make a case that both Willoughby and Nuttall are good signings at this level. However my concern here is we've gone to the opposite extreme here with the Manager where we have gone beyond supporting him with signings to indulging him. I wouldn't be sanctioning both of them if I was the Rothwells infact I wouldn't be sanctioning anymore signings for the manager unless results improve. He's had the backing they need to start to deliver.

Think throwing money at Unsworth needs to stop and save it to pay him off, using the Nuttall money to pay off Unsworth could be the shrewdest signing of the season.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Think throwing money at Unsworth needs to stop and save it to pay him off, using the Nuttall money to pay off Unsworth could be the shrewdest signing of the season.

maybe, but he is pretty good so the next manager would probably want him anyway..

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We certainly need to call a temporary halt to it. We can't build any team synergy if we are constantly chopping and changing the side. The players won't know if they are coming or going.

The team we currently have won't get us promotion but it should certainly not be bottom 4 it's much better than that.

What needs to happen now is for Unsworth to pick his preferred 11 in his preferred formation and stick with it until atleast January its advice Alex Ferguson used to give to young managers. They need to build relationships and build a game plan. That's his way out of it if he doesn't do that then get rid. Because we can't keep just signing new players every week. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

You can certainly make a case that both Willoughby and Nuttall are good signings at this level.

Scoring goals has been our biggest problem for as long as I can remember but two more No.9’s coming in is just baffling and must surely mean Abraham’s going back and Porter is being paid off?

What we really need is a couple of experienced no nonsense midfielders who can keep possession and dictate the play.

Without the ball Tollit and Gardner are passengers and Maynard is just piss poor!

I didn’t go yesterday but from the games I’ve seen we are being totally outplayed week in week out in the middle of the park!!

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

Scoring goals has been our biggest problem for as long as I can remember but two more No.9’s coming in is just baffling and must surely mean Abraham’s going back and Porter is being paid off?

What we really need is a couple of experienced no nonsense midfielders who can keep possession and dictate the play.

Without the ball Tollit and Gardner are passengers and Maynard is just piss poor!

I didn’t go yesterday but from the games I’ve seen we are being totally outplayed week in week out in the middle of the park!!

Absolutely.

Their is no point bringing in either Willoughby or Nuttall or even Reid for that matter if we are not going to create chances for them.

1 minute ago, GKing521 said:

Bid for Chester lad turned down. 

Unsure why we want two strikers anyway? We've just signed one and we only play one up front anyway and we play every game looking not to concede, rather than taking the game to opponents. 

Its all getting a bit Football Manager 23

He’s obsessed with 4-3-3 so throwing 3 strikers together to see which can gel immediately.  Everyone knows it’s not the strikers but midfield.

OK he could be lining up midfielders in January but we need a stopgap now. Some big bastard who can break up play and at least string a pass.  Maynard can do neither - he’s a lower league centre half.  When he come on he just kicked the ball forward, anywhere and mostly to their players so we were on the back foot again.  Lost count the amount of time he had the ball and didn’t even look - just hoofed it away or quick pass to anyone.

23 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Could be that midfield will be addressed when EFL transfer window opens in  January.

Could be but it seems slightly strange to over indulge in Attackers and Defenders in the meantime and then to completely ignore the middle of the pitch until January.

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

Could be but it seems slightly strange to over indulge in Attackers and Defenders in the meantime and then to completely ignore the middle of the pitch until January.

Seeing as that's been the problem area since errrrr August.... and every and and his dog can see it.

Archived