Unsworth

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Why do people worry about how much money a multi millionaire is spending? He's going to need to spend lots of it for many years to come...

Out of respect, I want him to stop right now and no he doesn't need to do anything at all

Be thankful for his obvious love and extreme generosity towards the towns football club, never take anything for granted in life.

I want this wonderful man to have the best life can offer after all he's done

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

How do you know?

While as fans it's not really any of our business what he decides to spend his money on, we still want what's best for the club and (as he's a nice bloke) wouldn't want Frank wasting his hard-earned when he could be spending it less frivolously and probably getting the same results (or even better results...if we had the right manager, etc). 

Wouldn't wank Frank wasting his money? Assume you want him to sell up then. He won't ever be making money from this club

17 minutes ago, JoeP said:

How do you know?

While as fans it's not really any of our business what he decides to spend his money on, we still want what's best for the club and (as he's a nice bloke) wouldn't want Frank wasting his hard-earned when he could be spending it less frivolously and probably getting the same results (or even better results...if we had the right manager, etc). 

Investing in brilliant players for the next manager, who will undoubtedly be brilliant, isn't waste surely?

20 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Out of respect, I want him to stop right now and no he doesn't need to do anything at all

Be thankful for his obvious love and extreme generosity towards the towns football club, never take anything for granted in life.

I want this wonderful man to have the best life can offer after all he's done

You want him to stop spending money?

30 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Why do people worry about how much money a multi millionaire is spending? He's going to need to spend lots of it for many years to come...

And that’s exactly why he should be careful he doesn’t waste it unnecessarily!

20 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Wouldn't wank Frank wasting his money? Assume you want him to sell up then. He won't ever be making money from this club

Unfortunate typo aside - no, I don't want him to sell up.  And you know that.  I do want him to spend his money as wisely as possible and just chucking it at Unsworth in the hope he comes good doesn't seem very wise.

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Investing in brilliant players for the next manager, who will undoubtedly be brilliant, isn't waste surely?

Well, perhaps getting the right manager in place before spending the money is the better way round of doing it?

I don't believe we need to spend James Norwood salaries to achieve mediocrity...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Well, perhaps getting the right manager in place before spending the money is the better way round of doing it?

I don't believe we need to spend James Norwood salaries to achieve mediocrity...

Isn't the idea of a proper recruitment department that it shouldn't massively matter if a manager goes. Yes the manager is part of the committee but there are other people involved who are in theory at the club long term and not linked to managers staying or going.  Any players signed under this system should be acceptable to a new coach if they're signed as part of a structure or "identity".

I don't know if that's the situation with us or not, but I'd hope that's the sort of thing we're trying to put in place.  So if the manager does  change, they may want to make a few tweaks but it shouldn't need a massive squad overhaul.

42 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

More incendiary nonsense,

Nobody mentioned him selling up did they?

Making money from the club doesn't matter to him but there's no way he should be footing the bill for unnecessary folly

48 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

P.S

Do what I do and use the edit button when you've made a spelling error

Edited by Littlemoor Lad
Spelling error

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This talk about Frank and his money is pretty patronising. 

Best not to bring it up in the first place then,

I feel he's being taken for a ride because he's kind hearted and will say so to neutralise some of the nonsense from these herbert's 

38 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Isn't the idea of a proper recruitment department that it shouldn't massively matter if a manager goes. Yes the manager is part of the committee but there are other people involved who are in theory at the club long term and not linked to managers staying or going.  Any players signed under this system should be acceptable to a new coach if they're signed as part of a structure or "identity".

I don't know if that's the situation with us or not, but I'd hope that's the sort of thing we're trying to put in place.  So if the manager does  change, they may want to make a few tweaks but it shouldn't need a massive squad overhaul.

Well yes, but the issue with that is the dilution of accountability.  Who gets the sack if it all goes tits up?  Always the manager?  All of them and we have to put a whole new "structure" in place?

25 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This talk about Frank and his money is pretty patronising. 

It really isn't meant to be from my point of view.  It's no big secret that we're splashing the cash a bit, so you would think that might bring some improvement.

I also say "Frank" instead of "we/the club" to pre-empt anyone doing the line "it's Frank's money and he can do what he wants!".

Edited by JoeP

17 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Best not to bring it up in the first place then,

I feel he's being taken for a ride because he's kind hearted and will say so to neutralise some of the nonsense from these herbert's 

I’ve not said anything about his money?

He’s a successful businessman and talk of him being taken for a ride is patronising in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Well yes, but the issue with that is the dilution of accountability.  Who gets the sack if it all goes tits up?  Always the manager?  All of them and we have to put a whole new "structure" in place?

For it to work properly recruitment should be its own department that the first team manager is included in but not in charge of. Success determined by a balance sheet effectively. So if recruitment bod buys a player that doesn’t work out but can still be sold on for profit then that’s still a success of sorts. 

If you recruit a load of Urko Veras then you’re out on your ear. 

This is how I would imagine this sort of thing works but I’m just guessing and not sure that’s what we’re even trying to do!

My point is that a well run club shouldn’t need a complete squad overhaul whenever they change manager. That’s how I see our squad now. It shouldn’t need major surgery if they do decide he’s not the right man. 

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I’ve not said anything about his money?

He’s a successful businessman and talk of him being taken for a ride is patronising in my opinion. 

You obviously haven't lost money through being taken for a ride

Maybe you should try it and then come back to me with some sense

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

For it to work properly recruitment should be its own department that the first team manager is included in but not in charge of. Success determined by a balance sheet effectively. So if recruitment bod buys a player that doesn’t work out but can still be sold on for profit then that’s still a success of sorts. 

If you recruit a load of Urko Veras then you’re out on your ear. 

This is how I would imagine this sort of thing works but I’m just guessing and not sure that’s what we’re even trying to do!

My point is that a well run club shouldn’t need a complete squad overhaul whenever they change manager. That’s how I see our squad now. It shouldn’t need major surgery if they do decide he’s not the right man. 

The problem is, I don't believe the recruitment department has done a very good job so far, whether that's down to them or the manager, I don't know. The squad looks unbalanced to me, we've got too many strikers, i've already made the point elsewhere about getting Raglan after we signed Hobson and they tried to shoe horn all 3 CB's in 1st game up. Lack of a RB, which fair enough has been rectified but should have been done earlier as well as addressing the midfield. I honestly don't believe the recruitment is all that it's cracked up to be. We have signed Reid and Willoughby who have barely had a look in. Honestly think we should have a settled, preferred system and recruit the players to fit that not just think he's a good player who's available, let's get him. It certainly looks like a scatter gun approach at the moment and is a continuation of last season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

You obviously haven't lost money through being taken for a ride

Maybe you should try it and then come back to me with some sense

You’ve lost me now. Are you saying he’s being scammed or swindled in some way?

16 minutes ago, PeteG said:

The problem is, I don't believe the recruitment department has done a very good job so far, whether that's down to them or the manager, I don't know. The squad looks unbalanced to me, we've got too many strikers, i've already made the point elsewhere about getting Raglan after we signed Hobson and they tried to shoe horn all 3 CB's in 1st game up. Lack of a RB, which fair enough has been rectified but should have been done earlier as well as addressing the midfield. I honestly don't believe the recruitment is all that it's cracked up to be. We have signed Reid and Willoughby who have barely had a look in. Honestly think we should have a settled, preferred system and recruit the players to fit that not just think he's a good player who's available, let's get him. It certainly looks like a scatter gun approach at the moment and is a continuation of last season.

Should never have been given an open chequebook in the first place,

Considering he was a decent defender at a very high level, you'd of thought that he'd get that absolutely spot on before moving into other area's.

Simple really and he of all people should know it, stop the other team scoring and there's no way they can beat you 

Edited by Littlemoor Lad
Spelling error

5 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Should never have been given an open chequebook in the first place,

Considering he was a decent defender at a very high level, you'd of thought that he'd get that absolutely spot on before moving into other area's.

Simple really and he of all people should know it, stop the other team scoring and there's no way they can beat you 

I don't think there is an open cheque book in all fairness. With the exception of Norwood we aren't talking vast sums, certainly not to the levels of Wrexham but certainly in the top 2 in this division and that's what it boils down to. The league is crap and we are under achieving and it's either poor recruitment or the manager, possibly a combination of the 2. 

3 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Are you for real?

Let's make it simple for you

Taken advantage of

Does that help?

Not really. I’m afraid I still find it patronising to suggest that Frank and the Rothwell family are being taken advantage of presumably by someone acting in bad faith? They’ve assembled what appears to be a very experienced and competent board to manage their investment.