MATCH: Maidstone United (H) 18/02/23

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

And Shez for that matter this season.

Sheri should have been sent off in style in the summer and allowed to enjoy his retirement. A typical Barry Owen style move to keep him on for the new season in the hope it would appease fans. New board were right to act. Unfortunately, some of the performances under the current manager have left a lot to be desired...

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Sheri should have been sent off in style in the summer and allowed to enjoy his retirement. A typical Barry Owen style move to keep him on for the new season in the hope it would appease fans. New board were right to act. Unfortunately, ALL of the performances under the current manager have left a lot to be desired...

Corrected your mistake!😆

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Preferred option was and always is a win and go on a run 👍

You keep shifting the goalposts.

He’s just got a run of 1 loss in eight. With four wins and three draws- shooting us up the form table, but you said on the other thread this run doesn’t count because it isn’t sustainable. . . 

So what does he have to do now? 

Go on a run - but when it does come to end being able to go another to show it’s sustainable? 

To be clear,  I’m not advocating him staying- I know he’s really struggling. But this ‘wins don’t count unless’ is nonsense to me. 

17 hours ago, JoeP said:

Sheron's always been good in midfield.  Sutton's been injured and wasn't too shabby at centre-back...

I don't think the pro and anti Unsworth minds are for changing.

Personally, I don't really think he comes across that well and his football is turgid.  It's a hard thing to like, even if the results have improved.

Sheron is shite. You can't play Central midfield if you can't pass or tackle.

On 2/20/2023 at 1:57 PM, yarddog73 said:

He can't control a ball, picks and chooses when he wants to get involved and generally comes across as he can't be arsed half the time, I personally think he should be playing at a higher level but the obvious deficiencies in his game are glaring for all to see, your not going to get the finished article at our level even paying a transfer fee (maybe Longstaff and Mullin aside) and it's up to the lad where his career goes from here.

Interesting. I've always thought he was alright as a target man and not bad at bringing others into play. a decent defender at set pieces too.  It's confidence when the chances come that seems to be more difficult for him. 

It's not that long ago that high six figure sums were changing hands for him. I'm sure he could do well for you, in the right system.

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

Interesting. I've always thought he was alright as a target man and not bad at bringing others into play. a decent defender at set pieces too.  It's confidence when the chances come that seems to be more difficult for him. 

It's not that long ago that high six figure sums were changing hands for him. I'm sure he could do well for you, in the right system.

Never seen a ball bounce off a centre forward more, nothing sticks when it goes in to him. You could make excuses for him but there's no doubt it's been a poor start, I agree with your last sentence though and i don't think he's anywhere near the worst of our problems. 

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

You keep shifting the goalposts.

He’s just got a run of 1 loss in eight. With four wins and three draws- shooting us up the form table, but you said on the other thread this run doesn’t count because it isn’t sustainable. . . 

So what does he have to do now? 

Go on a run - but when it does come to end being able to go another to show it’s sustainable? 

To be clear,  I’m not advocating him staying- I know he’s really struggling. But this ‘wins don’t count unless’ is nonsense to me. 

Well he hasn’t gone on a run of 1 in 8. It was bollocks coz the self proclaimed “best chance to get to Wembley” was a loss. Just folk delete that out to bullshit that it was some magical run we were on. As for some of the wins, he didn’t mastermind a Dagenham player booting the ball at his hand and the ref giving a penalty. it was lucky to have a run of games that was the easiest run of fixtures in the clubs entire history and we grabbed points by luck than judgement. It’s all run out now. Hard times setting in.  

I’ve not shifted goalposts once. I’ve said he should never have been appointed. He’s made mistake after mistake after mistake. We did against a knackered depleted Gateshead after they’d had a long trip south what we did against Alty in October. Zero progression. Beaten just 2 teams in the league above us and 1 away win. No back to back wins all season. Don’t blag to me that he had us on a run. It’s phoney as fuck. Come back and let’s talk about a run when he’s won 7 in 10. Or even goes ACTUALLY unbeaten for 5 games or so 👍

Edited by boundaryblue80
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Just folk delete that out to bullshit that it was some magical run we were on

9 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

As for some of the wins, he didn’t mastermind a Dagenham player booting the ball at his hand and the ref giving a penalty. it was lucky to have a run of games that was the easiest run of fixtures in the clubs entire history and we grabbed points by luck than judgement.

Irony alert!!! 

👍🏻

10 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Don’t blag to me that he had us on a run. It’s phoney as fuck. Come back and let’s talk about a run when he’s won 7 in 10.

Im not blagging you- I’m stating a fact. 

👍🏻

• Bender unfeatured this topic
  • 6 months later...
On 2/21/2023 at 10:13 AM, boundaryblue80 said:

Would love to be proven wrong but there’s fucks chance of him playing ugly or pretty and sustaining any sort of challenge. Not off what he’s shown so far. 

I’d take awful football if I felt it was sustainable. This Indian summer we’ve had in our season is purely down to playing pub teams and allotments. We’ve won twice against sides above us in the league. He hasn’t stumbled onto anything but a run of absolutely shite teams to play, mostly at home. 

It we want to talk about winning ugly then it wasn’t pretty under Dowie but you knew it was well drilled, organised, sustainable against almost all teams. And there were some players that were average but played  above their natural level. Not a snowballs chance in hell Unsworth can manage a squad like that. Or even close to it. If I saw a crumb of Dowie in him I’d say give him chance. But sadly, it feels like the car salesman will waste a couple of years of our lives as his buddy keeps him in the job. 

7 months wasted since I wrote the above and on we go 😞

• Like 2

6 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

7 months wasted since I wrote the above and on we go 😞

Nah, to be fair keeping him on for the rest of last season was the right call.  It settled the whole club down and there were minor improvements in the 2nd half of the season that warranted him keeping his job. 

Considering the signings he's been able to make in the summer which (rightly) built up expectations, the steep and rapid decline started at Southend on the opening day and really should be ended after yesterday.

• Like 1