MATCH: Maidstone United (H) 18/02/23

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I mean, we might have different definitions of "outplayed", but Maidstone had the majority of possession, knocked it about better and had a better shape.  We were more clinical with our chances than they were which won us the game, but we should be with the strikers we've got.. 

They will knock it about better and have a better shape, they've been playing together for months or years. Had a full pre season etc.

The idea you can throw all these players in and expect them to know each others games instantly is nonsense.

The more we play together the better our play will be. At the moment the team has changed so often it's understandable they're not in sync. He's been able to keep a steady side recently and we've ground out results.

Missing one or two in midfield for me but Reid and Nuttall will improve their understanding each game. As will the whole back 4. It takes time to build a team.

3 hours ago, C.O.JONES said:

Good post. Let us say for example that we got promotion at some time in the future with Dumpty Umpty (which is not going to happen) what type of football would he produce in L2, same shit, different league?

Did you have a nickname at school ?

It should have stopped when you got long pants really as it's childish and does nothing to enhance your arguments.

16 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Did you have a nickname at school ?

It should have stopped when you got long pants really as it's childish and does nothing to enhance your arguments.

No disrespect but if you're expecting athletes at any level, to train hard,

You really should be of a similar mindset, I know I'd definitely fall well short because I enjoy my pies and kebabs 😂

Just saying.

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

They will knock it about better and have a better shape, they've been playing together for months or years. Had a full pre season etc.

The idea you can throw all these players in and expect them to know each others games instantly is nonsense.

The more we play together the better our play will be. At the moment the team has changed so often it's understandable they're not in sync. He's been able to keep a steady side recently and we've ground out results.

Missing one or two in midfield for me but Reid and Nuttall will improve their understanding each game. As will the whole back 4. It takes time to build a team.

He's made one very good signing in Yarney, so if a few more with his ability and determination are added things should pick up next season.

Despite his praise for Nuttall I feel he won't be tolerated much longer with lack lustre displays like we've seen recently.

Fondop will hopefully put pressure on Nuttall to show more desire.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He's made one very good signing in Yarney, so if a few more with his ability and determination are added things should pick up next season.

Despite his praise for Nuttall I feel he won't be tolerated much longer with lack lustre displays like we've seen recently.

Fondop will hopefully put pressure on Nuttall to show more desire.

Fondop can't run after an hour. I'd guess Nutall is knackered as he's played a fair amount of the mins we've had since he came. I think Nutall will benefit from Fondop being his back up now Reid seems to have got into the starting 11.

14 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Fondop can't run after an hour. I'd guess Nutall is knackered as he's played a fair amount of the mins we've had since he came. I think Nutall will benefit from Fondop being his back up now Reid seems to have got into the starting 11.

My judgement is going seriously wrong, as many suggest maybe it's time for me to retire from making player observations?

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/23332567.oldham-athletic-boss-unsworth-applauds-strikers-work-rate/

Edited by BP1960

22 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

My judgement is going seriously wrong, as many suggest maybe it's time for me to retire from making player observations?

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/23332567.oldham-athletic-boss-unsworth-applauds-strikers-work-rate/

DU will be talking about the GPS results ie How many meters Nuttall has run. BP you are probably noticing if Nuttall is getting close enough to the defender to actually press him and influence what he does with the ball.  Two very different things, so don’t give up BP.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Must admit, I don’t understand the Nuttall hate. He does a much needed job for us and compliments either Reid or Abraham very well. He’s not missing chances, we just don’t have the wide players to create for him currently, so he’s creating for his strike partners. He’s a huge upgrade on Fondop in terms of all round play. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Must admit, I don’t understand the Nuttall hate. He does a much needed job for us and compliments either Reid or Abraham very well. He’s not missing chances, we just don’t have the wide players to create for him currently, so he’s creating for his strike partners. He’s a huge upgrade on Fondop in terms of all round play. 

He can't control a ball, picks and chooses when he wants to get involved and generally comes across as he can't be arsed half the time, I personally think he should be playing at a higher level but the obvious deficiencies in his game are glaring for all to see, your not going to get the finished article at our level even paying a transfer fee (maybe Longstaff and Mullin aside) and it's up to the lad where his career goes from here.

Of the two I prefer Reid and personally think the team should be built around him, he works his tits off and is always looking to get in beyond the last man, he offers the team much more and I think him and Abraham have the makings of a decent partnership, at least there's options up there but my over riding feeling this season is that our front players have been starved of having that No 10 to slot them in, Unsworth prefers two holding where as I think one is sufficient against the majority of teams in our league, it's noticeable how we sit in out of possession rather than pressing on and all that does is allow the opposition to commit more bodies forward as we saw Saturday when the big lad No 18 was allowed to stroll out of defence like Beckenbauer, he moved the ball up two thirds of the pitch almost at will on Saturday which for me was fucking criminal. 

Quite liked the look of the other young centre half they had in there whose on loan from Cambridge he was very good for large parts of the game Mamadou Jobe, he played our strikers very well and had a touch of class about him for a 19 year old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

DU will be talking about the GPS results ie How many meters Nuttall has run. BP you are probably noticing if Nuttall is getting close enough to the defender to actually press him and influence what he does with the ball.  Two very different things, so don’t give up BP.

Good job Bobby Johnstone wasn't GPS tracked, he'd have been subbed at half time for not running 5 miles.😉

37 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Quite liked the look of the other young centre half they had in there whose on loan from Cambridge he was very good for large parts of the game Mamadou Jobe, he played our strikers very well and had a touch of class about him for a 19 year old.

Yes I thought he looked a prospect and also the left back on loan from Sheffield Wednesday.

There's always at least 2 or 3 from the opposition who you wouldn't mind signing (maybe we just make them look better!!!).

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I was at the game on Saturday with three others. It was a common view amongst the four of us that Nuttall could do so much more. He appears to coast through games and his work rate and overall effort could be much better. I am somewhat baffled by Unsworth's remarks but he is the 'football professional' and we are merely fans... so what do we know?

9 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Yes I thought he looked a prospect and also the left back on loan from Sheffield Wednesday.

There's always at least 2 or 3 from the opposition who you wouldn't mind signing (maybe we just make them look better!!!).

I do wonder if it is just us making the opposition look better. The lad Conteh for Gateshead looked a very good player for instance...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shrek said:

Being generous there, I think - they see each other every day in training.  We can't be the only club with these issues, yet seem to be outplayed every week.

To be fair, I do hear what you're saying but I'd like to have seen some sign by now of where we want to be further down the line in terms of style of play, in spite of the players supposedly being unfamiliar with each other.  This "let the opposition play and hit them on the break" every game will be boring to watch and, if we want to be challenging at the top, won't be effective because we'll give the opposition too many chances and while it'll work some weeks because of the low quality of finishing in the division, we'll still lose too many games over a season.

We'll survive this season (which was the remit) because we're not playing catch up and have chucked enough money at and are getting results in at the moment.  Maybe Unsworth will change how we play over the close season and I'll hold my hands up.  It's still absolutely blind faith though and I think we need start putting more attractive and effective tactics into practice now for next season..

• Like 3

Not many clubs with the amount of new players in their starting 11. Non of the players who started played last season bar Sutton (I think). Of the other 9 outfield players 7 of them joined mid season, so no pre season and time on the training ground.

All 5 subs were new. 3 of the 4 outfield lads joined mid season, the other is Gardner whose missed most games.

I'll say now no club will be in that position in all the top 5 leagues.

It's not an excuse to be shit, it will be a contributing factor if we look less of a team than other sides. We are less of a team, we are pulling through as in most games we'll have better players.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

He can't control a ball, picks and chooses when he wants to get involved and generally comes across as he can't be arsed half the time, I personally think he should be playing at a higher level but the obvious deficiencies in his game are glaring for all to see, your not going to get the finished article at our level even paying a transfer fee (maybe Longstaff and Mullin aside) and it's up to the lad where his career goes from here.

Of the two I prefer Reid and personally think the team should be built around him, he works his tits off and is always looking to get in beyond the last man, he offers the team much more and I think him and Abraham have the makings of a decent partnership, at least there's options up there but my over riding feeling this season is that our front players have been starved of having that No 10 to slot them in, Unsworth prefers two holding where as I think one is sufficient against the majority of teams in our league, it's noticeable how we sit in out of possession rather than pressing on and all that does is allow the opposition to commit more bodies forward as we saw Saturday when the big lad No 18 was allowed to stroll out of defence like Beckenbauer, he moved the ball up two thirds of the pitch almost at will on Saturday which for me was fucking criminal. 

Entitled to your opinion, I don’t agree. I think Nuttall has been good for us and wouldn’t trust Reid either on his own, or with an Abraham type next to him. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Being generous there, I think - they see each other every day in training.  We can't be the only club with these issues, yet seem to be outplayed every week.

To be fair, I do hear what you're saying but I'd like to have seen some sign by now of where we want to be further down the line in terms of style of play, in spite of the players supposedly being unfamiliar with each other.  This "let the opposition play and hit them on the break" every game will be boring to watch and, if we want to be challenging at the top, won't be effective because we'll give the opposition too many chances and while it'll work some weeks because of the low quality of finishing in the division, we'll still lose too many games over a season.

We'll survive this season (which was the remit) because we're not playing catch up and have chucked enough money at and are getting results in at the moment.  Maybe Unsworth will change how we play over the close season and I'll hold my hands up.  It's still absolutely blind faith though and I think we need start putting more attractive and effective tactics into practice now for next season..

If we are winning playing ugly - do you care? 

I think we have started winning because he’s playing basic football in a basic set up and relying on our quality players- but again -if he’s winning, who cares?? 

Following his comments last week, It will be fascinating to see what his ‘pretty football’ looks like once we’re out of danger. Because I don’t think he’s good enough tactically to implement anything other than basic football- his record with us demonstrates that. 

Id like him to stick to his winning formula and just win games. 

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If we are winning playing ugly - do you care? 

I think we have started winning because he’s playing basic football in a basic set up and relying on our quality players- but again -if he’s winning, who cares?? 

Following his comments last week, It will be fascinating to see what his ‘pretty football’ looks like once we’re out of danger. Because I don’t think he’s good enough tactically to implement anything other than basic football- his record with us demonstrates that. 

Id like him to stick to his winning formula and just win games. 

of all his comments, the geek in me is looking forward to a new pitch next season 

4 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

of all his comments, the geek in me is looking forward to a new pitch next season 

It's definitely needed, a couple of times Kitching was breaking down the wing with the ball and it kept bouncing off his shins. And yes I do know it's the same for both sides. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Entitled to your opinion, I don’t agree. I think Nuttall has been good for us and wouldn’t trust Reid either on his own, or with an Abraham type next to him. 

Nutall will be a very trusted strike partner. Does all the dirty work. Needs a rest but he's in our best 11 all day. I think him and Reid could be a great partnership with the right service.