MATCH: Maidstone United (H) 18/02/23

8 minutes ago, Shrek said:

So if we are playing swashbuckling city style football th is ok next season?

Seems odd to nail top 3 down as a requirement if we are playing a more boring style*. Plays off / promotion push will be exciting whatever the style no?

*we won't. The adults have understood his recent comments re playing more as we go on.

Why is it odd? People can tolerate dull football if it brings success, but won’t if it doesn’t. A manager will get more leeway if his football is good to watch. I’m sure adults understand that, and a few kids too.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Shrek said:

It's already being lined up, anticipated even, by those wanting to be proved correct that he needs sacking. 

He probably warranted the sack in November and December. They backed him and signed Nutall.

We're now getting there as a side. Kill relegation off and then he can experiment for the last few games hopefully. 

The podcast mentioned it. There are fans who don't want us to do well cos they've already made their minds up about Unsworth...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shrek said:

So if we are playing swashbuckling city style football th is ok next season?

Seems odd to nail top 3 down as a requirement if we are playing a more boring style*. Plays off / promotion push will be exciting whatever the style no?

*we won't. The adults have understood his recent comments re playing more as we go on.

Top 4 for me, Clive, or he can go. Don't care whether we lump it to a big man or play through the midfield - it simply has to be top 4 by November or replace him...

2 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Why is it odd? People can tolerate dull football if it brings success, but won’t if it doesn’t. A manager will get more leeway if his football is good to watch. I’m sure adults understand that, and a few kids too.

Exactly.

I watch football for two reasons: 1) to be entertained, 2) to watch Latics win

Can I forego the first in order for the second to happen? I think so (I can’t say for sure because it’s been so long since we won consistently). But in that scenario, we have to be top 3 or 4. A promotion race would be exciting, even if the football isn’t much.

The bigger point is that I don’t think we can challenge top 3 or 4 playing how we’re playing. Without going down an xG rabbit hole, it is a fact that successful teams like Brighton and Brentford base their recruitment and way of operating on stats like xG. I don’t know, but I’d imagine ours is crap even in this recent ‘run’. Over a long period of time I suspect teams who create more chances and concede less than their opposition win more games. We’re not currently doing that.

There’s then the argument that we’re not there yet but a few more signings and we will be. That’s a fair argument. My view is we should be playing better football with the players at our disposal. 

No one is willing Unsworth to fail as it’s been suggested, we’re just looking for visible signs that we are making strides towards a successful season next season. 

10 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

So 4th he's out but 3rd he's ok?

26 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

All about opinions but I don't think three just over three months of evidence offers conclusive proof.  It is certainly evidence and it means that he is on the back foot and has it to disprove.  I was looking at managerial stats earlier and the PL/EFL being at a club for a few days over two years gets a manager in the top 20 longest serving list.  That's insane.

Yeah, that’s fair.

Overall the jury is still massively out for me. (And to be honest I still don’t think he’ll be a long term success)

BUT.

This run has surprised me, as I didn’t think he was capable of it and it’s churlish in my view to stick to your guns- when faced with different outcomes- IE one loss in Eight. 

Nobody can say his losses count, but his wins don’t. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, that’s fair.

Overall the jury is still massively out for me. (And to be honest I still don’t think he’ll be a long term success)

BUT.

This run has surprised me, as I didn’t think he was capable of it and it’s churlish in my view to stick to your guns- when faced with different outcomes- IE one loss in Eight. 

Nobody can say his losses count, but his wins don’t. 

Some are saying the goals and wins are in spite of the manager.

I don't agree with or understand that view but respect anyone who may do so.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shrek said:

So 4th he's out but 3rd he's ok?

Ok I’ll simplify it for you. If we’re firmly in the mix for promotion  (not x amount of points off the play offs) people will more than likely put up with boring football. If we’re not, they wont.

I personally feel Unsworth coaches the life out of players and craves something that doesn't exist at our level, we'll do okay because we have a top 3 budget, until we bring in a top 3 manager we will bounce around mid table at best, I honestly think he'll hold us back but like any true fan I hope he turns it around and proves me wrong, honestly seen nothing to suggest it's going to work but here's hoping.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I personally feel Unsworth coaches the life out of players and craves something that doesn't exist at our level, we'll do okay because we have a top 3 budget, until we bring in a top 3 manager we will bounce around mid table at best, I honestly think he'll hold us back but like any true fan I hope he turns it around and proves me wrong, honestly seen nothing to suggest it's going to work but here's hoping.

Many of the players have improved under Unsworth. 

Sheron is a prime example. Sutton has been great at right back.

Not many gone backwards IMO, not yet anyway. Many too new for people to be suggesting the manager is hindering them. Hogan boots it out constantly because he's shite on the ball. No ones fault. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

After the Gateshead away game this evening, in our next eight games we play:

1. Chesterfield (4th)
  2. Barnet (5th)
  3. Borehamwood (9th) 
  4. Woking (3rd) 
  5. Eastleigh (8th)
  6. Dagenham (11th)
  7. Solihull (12th)
  8. Wealdstone (10th)

If we manage a similar run against that lot, then I'll start believing 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

1. Chesterfield (4th)
  2. Barnet (5th)
  3. Borehamwood (9th) 
  4. Woking (3rd) 
  5. Eastleigh (8th)
  6. Dagenham (11th)
  7. Solihull (12th)
  8. Wealdstone (10th)

Yep- that run will confirm if his ugly football is sustainable against better sides, or if it’s only good enough to beat the poor sides of the division. 

26 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep- that run will confirm if his ugly football is sustainable against better sides, or if it’s only good enough to beat the poor sides of the division. 

I hope I am wrong, but I can't see more than 1 win from that lot. 

49 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

1. Chesterfield (4th)
  2. Barnet (5th)
  3. Borehamwood (9th) 
  4. Woking (3rd) 
  5. Eastleigh (8th)
  6. Dagenham (11th)
  7. Solihull (12th)
  8. Wealdstone (10th)

Rightly or wrongly the knives will probably be out again if we get beat tonight. To just look at that list of teams we’re fearful of, is mind blowing!!😞

Edited by oafc1955

2 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Ok I’ll simplify it for you. If we’re firmly in the mix for promotion  (not x amount of points off the play offs) people will more than likely put up with boring football. If we’re not, they wont.

I'd argue that if we are in the play offs it won't be boring anyway. If we are in the play offs we will be watching a better Oldham team than we are now.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

And the players of course.

Some of who have got away with murder.

Teams in 10th in this league are just as shite as those lower down.

Seeing grown adults suggesting they are worried about playing Solihull at home, flabbergasted.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

1. Chesterfield (4th)
  2. Barnet (5th)
  3. Borehamwood (9th) 
  4. Woking (3rd) 
  5. Eastleigh (8th)
  6. Dagenham (11th)
  7. Solihull (12th)
  8. Wealdstone (10th)

3 of the first 4, all very tough games. All the others I'd expect us to compete and get some points across those games.

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

He hasn’t tried ugly football against the better sides- it was only until Notts county at home that this attritional football started. (We drew that game) Before that he was doing every formation under the sun with a 3 and 5 in it. Granted we’ve have had a run against some of weaker sides, but does that not count. . ?? 

I’m not advocating for ugly football, but he isn’t good enough to do anything else- his record and tactics prior to new year proves that in my view. The board aren’t going to sack him for winning ugly, and nor should they. 

The question now is- will fans ‘put up’ with winning ugly- after one loss in eight it would appear not. 

It’s gone from

He needs to win games. (Which he has) 

To

Wining ugly is shit - he needs to win playing attractive football. 

It’s very harsh. 

This is OWTB. The goalposts move constantly. Worldy goals don't count. Neither do wins under Unsworth playing ugly. 

3 hours ago, Shrek said:

Sheron is a prime example. Sutton has been great at right back.

Sheron's always been good in midfield.  Sutton's been injured and wasn't too shabby at centre-back...

I don't think the pro and anti Unsworth minds are for changing.

Personally, I don't really think he comes across that well and his football is turgid.  It's a hard thing to like, even if the results have improved.