MATCH: Maidstone United (H) 18/02/23

There appears to be some certainty of this "promotion push" next season, personally, I don't see it happening unless he brings in players of distinct quality for this level of football, whoever they may be and should they want to come to Latics. There will have to be a lot of players ejected and some serious negotiations taking place. A busy summer? Let's hope so.

I am happy with the win, of course and I don't think Unsworth said much wrong in his post-match interview, although he has a long, long way to go before he can convince me he is the man for the job.

I watched the Boreham vs Halifax game and was not impressed by the allotment stadium or the football, which makes it all the more frustrating when I see BP and the football dished out by our team, knowing they are capable of more.

Match aside, the goals by Shelton and Reid were pretty special, especially Reid's and as much as we complain about the standard of the game, those two moments were something which Maidstone got nowhere near conjuring up. A win at Gateshead, no matter how it is gained, would be justification as well as a springboard towards assured safety from relegation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

He’s had ample opportunity to get these players in. He said Maynard was a key part of his team when fit. Sydie Peck was championed as some real key in the plan. Shelton a box to box guy. Chapman is his man. Been poor. He’s making them poor. His style and tactics and lumping the ball and just no real design or plan is making players look like absolute shit. 

Would love to see our side under another manager. Would be totally different with organisation, knowing when to press, when to hold. Players designed to play in 2s and 3s and hunt in packs. 

See none of it under this clown. 

Sometimes players need to take responsibility, Yarney being a great example others should follow.

5 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

He’s had ample opportunity to get these players in. He said Maynard was a key part of his team when fit. Sydie Peck was championed as some real key in the plan. Shelton a box to box guy. Chapman is his man. Been poor. He’s making them poor. His style and tactics and lumping the ball and just no real design or plan is making players look like absolute shit. 

Would love to see our side under another manager. Would be totally different with organisation, knowing when to press, when to hold. Players designed to play in 2s and 3s and hunt in packs. 

He hints in his post-match that reaching safety playing ugly will be replaced by his version of more quality football. I'm not exactly sure what that will mean in terms of formation etc. I can see a player of quality in Shelton, jury is out on Chapman who would probably have been an unused sub yesterday if Gardner had not crumbled after 22 minutes.

He's not going anywhere, we have to accept that.

9 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Every manager talks up their signings.

I refuse to believe any manager sends their players out with instructions to not close down, not to pass to a teammate, not to try and have shots at goal.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Every manager talks up their signings.

I refuse to believe any manager sends their players out with instructions to not close down, not to pass to a teammate, not to try and have shots at goal.

Haven't the podcast team told us that Unsworth isn't heavily involved in the recruitment...?

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Good to see you've one point of view and it will never change despite results picking up

You're right - it is going to take a lot more than a few rather fortuitous results to change my view, I'm afraid....

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

There appears to be some certainty of this "promotion push" next season, personally, I don't see it happening unless he brings in players of distinct quality for this level of football, whoever they may be and should they want to come to Latics. There will have to be a lot of players ejected and some serious negotiations taking place. A busy summer? Let's hope so.

I am happy with the win, of course and I don't think Unsworth said much wrong in his post-match interview, although he has a long, long way to go before he can convince me he is the man for the job.

I watched the Boreham vs Halifax game and was not impressed by the allotment stadium or the football, which makes it all the more frustrating when I see BP and the football dished out by our team, knowing they are capable of more.

Match aside, the goals by Shelton and Reid were pretty special, especially Reid's and as much as we complain about the standard of the game, those two moments were something which Maidstone got nowhere near conjuring up. A win at Gateshead, no matter how it is gained, would be justification as well as a springboard towards assured safety from relegation.

6-7 quality players coming in will lift us into the top 7 no problem. We will have enough players who will be out of contract at the end of this season who will move out who will help fund it. Also for first time in God knows how many years we are not going to lose any of our better players this summer. We will also get a proper pre-season in which will also be a big help.

The only reason why we shouldn't be top 7 in the national league next season is if we are relegated this season.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I'm not saying he (or whoever it was that approved our signings) hasn't had opportunity to improve the side....or that I think Unsworth is the right manager for us. I've been watching us since the Frizzel era and seen plenty of shite performances trust me! 

We could very well look a lot better with a new manager and different tactics.

Or we could look the same or even worse....who knows.

I'm just saying our current squad is still miles off Wrexham and Notts C standards, and our current form is probably the best we can hope for whoever is in charge. 

Any takers for any of our squad getting in the top 2s starting 11??

I'm not saying he (or whoever it was that approved our signings) hasn't had opportunity to improve the side....or that I think Unsworth is the right manager for us. I've been watching us since the Frizzel era and seen plenty of shite performances trust me! 

I'm just saying our current squad is still miles off Wrexham and Notts C standards, and our current form is probably the best we can hope for whoever is in charge. 

31 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

You could say some of those losses were unfortunate the same as u can say some wins are fortunate 

Boreham Wood away maybe, when we hit the woodwork three times?

Struggling after that...

39 minutes ago, Londonboy said:
2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I'm not saying he (or whoever it was that approved our signings) hasn't had opportunity to improve the side....or that I think Unsworth is the right manager for us.

Yes you are….you’ve said it 4 times!!😂😂

• Like 1

Anyhoo, I for one, had a great weekend. Watched England crush the Kiwis on their own soil to be back in time for Supper on Sunday and watched us piss on the stones; albeit at times with what seemed like an enlarged prostrate in a Tauranga motel room. The Hollywood Harry Brook finish by Alex Reid topped off a perfect weekend.

Oh. And India trounced the smugstarts. Again. Must see TV. Again.

Edited by L1onheartNew
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JoeP said:

😬

After the backing Big Dave's had?  We get out played by most teams in the division, including bottom-of-the-league-no-wins-in-11 Maidstone?

Concerning...

There's no way we were outplayed by Maidstone. They were significently shite, and gave us all a demonstration on why they're bottom. Having said that, I thought they had a superb turnout for a team rock bottom of the league from the other end of the country. Worth the applause bestowed to them when the crowd was announced. Well done them.

It's all a bit like Ronnie Moore isn't it? We're picking up points and wins whilst being quite dour. I knew from the first few minutes it was going to be a dog of a game and so it proved. Glad Yarney got MOTM. He's been excellent for the last few matches.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's all a bit like Ronnie Moore isn't it? We're picking up points and wins whilst being quite dour. I knew from the first few minutes it was going to be a dog of a game and so it proved. Glad Yarney got MOTM. He's been excellent for the last few matches.

Since the turn of year - yes. 

Moore had us challenging near the play offs but fans didn’t like the football.  Unsworth has only just started getting results, after an awful run. But should that continue then the noise should stop- but I don’t think it will because like Moore the football is hard to watch. 

Personally I couldn’t care less about the style of play as long as we win. 

Ugly winning football beats pretty losing football every day of the week. 

• Like 1

How many gears does a football team have? 
For me, Rhino has us playing for the most part, in second gear. We seem happy to concede pressure and absorb. 
Then win possession, lose it cheaply, rinse and repeat. 
Occasionally, we press, (or Sheron does) and / or we win a set piece and we then move up a gear and score. 
Level, or with our noses in front we drop back into second gear again. 
Even with a two goal lead recently, we found a way to drop down into first and somehow, we conceded two. 🤦‍♂️

I’m convinced there’s a fourth and fifth gear in this squad but Unsworth is at a complete loss as to how to find them. 
That’s how I feel when I watch these insipid performances week after week. 
Having said that, despite the performances, results trump all, for now!! 

Edited by hollandspies
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Since the turn of year - yes. 

Moore had us challenging near the play offs but fans didn’t like the football.  Unsworth has only just started getting results, after an awful run. But should that continue then the noise should stop- but I don’t think it will because like Moore the football is hard to watch. 

Personally I couldn’t care less about the style of play as long as we win. 

Ugly winning football beats pretty losing football every day of the week. 

I agree with the last sentence and we should be winning more games,

Maybe, it's no longer about tactics or winning and more about Unsworth not fitting in here.

To my way of thinking, it'll take a good while before that changes

6 hours ago, hollandspies said:

How many gears does a football team have? 
For me, Rhino has us playing for the most part, in second gear. We seem happy to concede pressure and absorb. 
Then win possession, lose it cheaply, rinse and repeat. 
Occasionally, we press, (or Sheron does) and / or we win a set piece and we then move up a gear and score. 
Level, or with our noses in front we drop back into second gear again. 
Even with a two goal lead recently, we found a way to drop down into first and somehow, we conceded two. 🤦‍♂️

I’m convinced there’s a fourth and fifth gear in this squad but Unsworth is at a complete loss as to how to find them. 
That’s how I feel when I watch these insipid performances week after week. 
Having said that, despite the performances, results trump all, for now!! 

Good post. Let us say for example that we got promotion at some time in the future with Dumpty Umpty (which is not going to happen) what type of football would he produce in L2, same shit, different league?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Good post. Let us say for example that we got promotion at some time in the future with Dumpty Umpty (which is not going to happen) what type of football would he produce in L2, same shit, different league?

We'd get battered every single week in league two with this carry on,

Nowhere near ready.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

There's no way we were outplayed by Maidstone. They were significently shite, and gave us all a demonstration on why they're bottom. Having said that, I thought they had a superb turnout for a team rock bottom of the league from the other end of the country. Worth the applause bestowed to them when the crowd was announced. Well done them.

I mean, we might have different definitions of "outplayed", but Maidstone had the majority of possession, knocked it about better and had a better shape.  We were more clinical with our chances than they were which won us the game, but we should be with the strikers we've got.. 

• Like 3