Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

9 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Do you know why? There's time today for an announcement - he says hopefully🙂

We can't buy another player every time we lose a game of football, I keep hearing these players we are bringing in are better but I haven't seen any evidence yet, Unsworths getting a bit David O'Leary for me, can't coach what he's got so is always asking for more, bet there isn't a manager in our League whose had his backing yet apparently we still need to give him more time.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We can't buy another player every time we lose a game of football, I keep hearing these players we are bringing in are better but I haven't seen any evidence yet, Unsworths getting a bit David O'Leary for me, can't coach what he's got so is always asking for more, bet there isn't a manager in our League whose had his backing yet apparently we still need to give him more time.

Fully agree,

Should be made to get the best out of what he's been given and it's more than enough for a new manager 

Am I going mad? I could swear down that 2 or 3 weeks ago the general consensus on here was that we needed a winger, a right back and a central midfielder.

We've since had the first 2 and now the rumour is the 3rd is coming in. But because we've lost a couple of games we shouldn't be signing these players? I don't get it.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Am I going mad? I could swear down that 2 or 3 weeks ago the general consensus on here was that we needed a winger, a right back and a central midfielder.

We've since had the first 2 and now the rumour is the 3rd is coming in. But because we've lost a couple of games we shouldn't be signing these players? I don't get it.

Can only think a lack of sunshine has caused people to lose their minds.

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He's overstepped the mark on spending and it hasn't been balanced has it?

Not even using the player's he's brought in, so why sign more, so they can end up the same?

Just now, Littlemoor Lad said:

Not even using the player's he's brought in, so why sign more, so they can end up the same?

Well we either needed the players for the squad or we didn't.  If he Unsworth doesn't work out and leaves, we'll still be left with good players.

Unfortunately with only 5 subs in this league, you can't have both a good squad and play everyone.  Saying that, when we were looking at Dallas I questioned it as 4 forwards seemed enough. But then you probably can't turn down someone like Norwood and if any of the others have to leave because he's signed then I'm ok with that.

13 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Well we either needed the players for the squad or we didn't.  If he Unsworth doesn't work out and leaves, we'll still be left with good players.

Unfortunately with only 5 subs in this league, you can't have both a good squad and play everyone.  Saying that, when we were looking at Dallas I questioned it as 4 forwards seemed enough. But then you probably can't turn down someone like Norwood and if any of the others have to leave because he's signed then I'm ok with that.

Problem is we are paying some of them others decent dollar, in fact one or two who Unsworth wants out were given new deals on better, couldn't make it up really. We will have another 11 sat there soon being paid to do fuck all.

Edited by yarddog73

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I can't get my head around his obsession with strikers?

Plays on the back foot and we can't defend for Evertonian toffee, makes even less sense when he played at a very high level in that position 

Bonkers!

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Problem is we are paying some of them others decent dollar, in fact one or two who Unsworth wants out were giving new deals on better, couldn't make it up really. We will have another 11 sat there soon being paid to do fuck all.

Why is it a problem? Are you suggesting the owners haven't got a grasp of what is going on with their club? That we should only have 11 players on decent money and the rest on peanuts? Can a manager not change their mind about a player?

Just now, deyres42 said:

Why is it a problem? Are you suggesting the owners haven't got a grasp of what is going on with their club? That we should only have 11 players on decent money and the rest on peanuts? Can a manager not change their mind about a player?

Appears to be changing his mind on more than what would be classed as normal

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I agree with what you are saying overall, I just think the midfield situation is dire, we don’t know when the 3 new lads are back from Injury which basically leaves a similar problem to last season in the middle so a decent incoming is probably needed . 

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It's a problem because it's unsustainable, unless of course we think Frank is Oldham's very own oligarch, if you think collecting players for the same position on over the odds money is healthy then fair enough, personally I don't for a variety of reasons.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

It's a problem because it's unsustainable, unless of course we think Frank is Oldham's very own oligarch, if you think collecting players for the same position on over the odds money is healthy then fair enough, personally I don't for a variety of reasons.

Who is being paid over the odds? Who is sanctioning the deals if it isn't the owners?

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Who is being paid over the odds? Who is sanctioning the deals if it isn't the owners?

I imagine the CEO on behalf of rhino is approaching the Rothwells for more money.

Personally I wouldn't give him another 50p of mine, he's watched Sheron and Shelton give the ball way religiously for three games this season yet not bothered to replace one of them, that's despite having Gardner on the bench who can at least put his foot on the ball, we surely wasn't relying on Lundstrum to carry the midfield on his own this season. 

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I imagine the CEO on behalf of rhino is approaching the Rothwells for more money.

Personally I wouldn't give him another 50p of mine, he's watched Sheron and Shelton give the ball way religiously for three games this season yet not bothered to replace one of them, that's despite having Gardner on the bench who can at least put his foot on the ball, we surely wasn't relying on Lundstrum to carry the midfield on his own this season. 

So who is being paid over the odds in your opinion? What wages should a team looking to challenge at the top be paying?

58 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

So who is being paid over the odds in your opinion? What wages should a team looking to challenge at the top be paying?

The ones being paid over the odds are the ones sat around doing nothing, it's okay having an healthy squad but we have too many players in certain areas and not enough in some key critical ones, anyone with an ounce of knowledge knew we needed a couple in the centre of the park, now Lundstrum is out we look fucked again, likewise we have Hogan, Raglan, Sutton, Hobson, Mcghahey all vying for a couple of centrehalf position and five or six strikers it's nonsensical. 

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Why do you think he has overstepped on spending when you have no idea of any of the budgets of any of the departments?

How many managers over the many years both of us have watched Latics have had more players than positions?

Really you seem to have appointed yourself as financial manager of OAFC despite knowing tap all about how a club is run.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

The ones being paid over the odds are the ones sat around doing nothing, it's okay having an healthy squad but we have too many players in certain areas and not enough in some key critical ones, anyone with an ounce of knowledge knew we needed a couple in the centre of the park, now Lundstrum is out we look fucked again, likewise we have Hogan, Raglan, Sutton, Hobson, Mcghahey all vying for a couple of centrehalf position and five or six strikers it's nonsensical. 

He's trying to sign another midfielder and people are saying he shouldn't be allowed to do.

If you are playing three centre halves, which he wants to do at times then you need more than three of them available.

We probably have got one striker too many but it appears that Norwood kind of fell into our lap, I haven't heard anyone criticising that signing.

Just now, deyres42 said:

He's trying to sign another midfielder and people are saying he shouldn't be allowed to do.

If you are playing three centre halves, which he wants to do at times then you need more than three of them available.

We probably have got one striker too many but it appears that Norwood kind of fell into our lap, I haven't heard anyone criticising that signing.

I honestly wouldn't be giving him another penny, it won't guarantee anything, it's basic business and managing resource. If it was his money he wouldn't sanction it because there's no guarantees, he's had his budget, spunked it on players we didn't need who fell in to our laps as you say and now he's wanting more, I'd be telling him to sling it.

33 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I honestly wouldn't be giving him another penny, it won't guarantee anything, it's basic business and managing resource. If it was his money he wouldn't sanction it because there's no guarantees, he's had his budget, spunked it on players we didn't need who fell in to our laps as you say and now he's wanting more, I'd be telling him to sling it.

New players don't guarantee anything. Neither does paying off the manager and getting a new one...