Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

1 minute ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

The old thread on signing player rumours is absolutely dire in terms of keeping to topic so thought I would start this more focused thread.

Any news?

Nice weather outside. Unsworth out. Anyone speak Latin?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

On a twitter Q&A with Suzanne Geldard just now, Unsworth said that none of Booty, Haughton or Willoughby will be signing for Oldham.

Confirmed that it could be as many as 8/9 new signings, some of whom might be on loan but concentrating on permanent. Hopeful of getting some business done soon but more important to make quality signings than quick signings. New signings can't be registered until 1 July. Said Yarney and Green have been offered good contracts and hopeful both will re-sign 

Worth noting that most non-league contracts end as soon as the season finishes, not on June 30th as is the case in the Prem and EFL.

So I'd expect our earlier signings to be from teams our level or lower, and so wouldn't worry that we're not aiming for players coming from higher clubs, if that is the case.

Edited by Simpo

Are there any decent or believable rumours? The only ones I’ve heard are the midfield player from Maidstone and Willoughby from Chester, but I’m sure I’ve seen somewhere that Unsworth has said they’re a no go.

I hope whoever we go for are their clubs main men who they’re desperate to keep, and not necessarily players who just been released 

• Like 1

Kelvin Mellor linked to us on twitter. Defender from Crewe. Can’t say i’ve heard of him, but he’s been at a fair few league clubs all his career and seems to have played the majority of games. 

22 minutes ago, daniel said:

Kelvin Mellor linked to us on twitter. Defender from Crewe. Can’t say i’ve heard of him, but he’s been at a fair few league clubs all his career and seems to have played the majority of games. 

One of their better players this season according to an Alex supporting friend. A steady Eddie who gives a 7 out of 10 performance most games.

1 hour ago, daniel said:

User who says this is known to not be reliable and when he is, it is from other sources who previously post - said we were signing Matt Warburton a few months back and Sean Scannell this week and is very sensitive to being called out - I'd file in the non rumour barring an actual ITK saying as such

I think the Yarney situation has been misunderstood. 

Yarney signed until the end of this season plus an option, despite what the Oldham times reported.

Options can either be in the players favour or clubs, and in this case I think it’s the players. 

We have offered him more money to take that option up. Hence he was in the negotiations section. 

So yeah, not guaranteed we will have him next year. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Yarney signed until the end of this season plus an option, despite what the Oldham times reported.

Options can either be in the players favour or clubs, and in this case I think it’s the players. 

We have offered him more money to take that option up. Hence he was in the negotiations section. 

also my reading but lm approaching it in a deliberatley pessimistic manner

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

According to Non League ITK, Rooney is unhappy at the club and wants a move. Not a surprise. Good player on his day, but has not been consistent and is a stroppy get.

Next.

I think he’s a decent player but let him go for me if he’s feeling like that. 
Don’t need petulance upsetting the apple cart next season 

17 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

It was the official site that reported he was here till end of next season:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2023/february/02022023-yarney-extends-deal/

26 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

It was the official site that reported he was here till end of next season:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2023/february/02022023-yarney-extends-deal/

I think it’s incorrect, that’s my take on it. 
The retained list, DU’s comments and the live loud and beefy event all point to the fact he’s not under contract for next season, yet. 

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I think it’s incorrect, that’s my take on it. 
The retained list, DU’s comments and the live loud and beefy event all point to the fact he’s not under contract for next season, yet. 

“DU: Joe signed a deal to the end of the season with an agreement to extend next season, now that agreement is being re-negotiated “

‘an agreement to extend next season’ -

pretty clear to me that there is an agreement in place but both club and player are re-negotiating - probably for a longer deal on more money. 👍