Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

1 minute ago, Londonboy said:

Not a bad shout but I hope he stays. Really like him as an impact player but not sure his ability to control his actions on the field sometimes and get himself sent off are going down too well with Big Dave....

agreed. l didn't think we could carry five (six?) strikers and nothing has happened to change that view.

l like all of them but we need to cut one and Big Mike has put himself at risk.

Here are the pertinent paragraphs …

From The Oldham Times:

“Unsworth is working on ways to encourage an upturn in form, including making signings - and making space for them with player exits from the current squad.
Asked whether making further signings was an option, Unsworth said: "Absolutely. There'll be players leaving - at least three or four leaving - and hopefully a couple more coming in."

Of the time frame anticipated on the transfer movement, the Latics boss added: "Maybe (this) week, but it might be the week after."

🤔

He'll need to get the wage bill down I suspect so you're more likely to see someone like Nuttall offered about.

There maybe some like, Norman who Unsworth doesn't seem to like because he's not his signing, Tollitt who he doesn't trust, similar with Fondop and Hope who can't make a squad despite looking sharp and has the ability to play wide in a front three which we were crying out for.

I think I read somewhere Unsworth has used over 40 different players now and we still can't name a settled 11 or play in a recognisable structured way despite him being with the club a full calendar year a full pre season and seemingly having every recognisable resource available to him.

I know we have no midfield but I just think we are throwing good money after bad, Hobson is a classic example, to be fair to the lad he's kept his head down and waited for his opportunity after being hung out to dry being asked to play rightback/right wingback pre season and at Southend but why was Raglan signed and significant budget lost when we already had Hogan, Hobson, Sutton, McGahey and Sheron on the books who've all played the position, it's smacks to me like we are doing deals for agents whose clients want to be around Manchester rather than having a strategic plan in place to take the club forward. Having six strikers on the books and six centrehalves is ludicrous when we still have gaping holes in the squad.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He'll need to get the wage bill down I suspect so you're more likely to see someone like Nuttall offered about.

There maybe some like, Norman who Unsworth doesn't seem to like because he's not his signing, Tollitt who he doesn't trust, similar with Fondop and Hope who can't make a squad despite looking sharp and has the ability to play wide in a front three which we were crying out for.

I think I read somewhere Unsworth has used over 40 different players now and we still can't name a settled 11 or play in a recognisable structured way despite him being with the club a full calendar year a full pre season and seemingly having every recognisable resource available to him.

I know we have no midfield but I just think we are throwing good money after bad, Hobson is a classic example, to be fair to the lad he's kept his head down and waited for his opportunity after being hung out to dry being asked to play rightback/right wingback pre season and at Southend but why was Raglan signed and significant budget lost when we already had Hogan, Hobson, Sutton, McGahey and Sheron on the books who've all played the position, it's smacks to me like we are doing deals for agents whose clients want to be around Manchester rather than having a strategic plan in place to take the club forward. Having six strikers on the books and six centrehalves is ludicrous when we still have gaping holes in the squad.

l think he likes Norman but simply feels Hudson had done enough to keep the shirt.

Norman in net on sat for me, tho.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It does seem a bit that way, if that Tunnicliffe lad materialises then he will be another local. I mean if he’s any good I wouldn’t mind but it strikes me of a bit of desperation in some ways. Loads of reasonable quality individual players but nothing a cohesive tight squad, despite what DU says. 

I'd like to think both Hope and McGahey are nailed on that list. I can definitely see Fondop being added latterly after his brain farts, whilst I can fully understand Tollitt asking about his future.

Could Nuttall be on this list? well yes like all players but I'd rather think it would be Nuttall himself asking to move. One things for sure he wouldn't look back other than to have a parting shot at us fans.

Edited by Lags

8 minutes ago, True Tic said:

It does seem a bit that way, if that Tunnicliffe lad materialises then he will be another local. I mean if he’s any good I wouldn’t mind but it strikes me of a bit of desperation in some ways. Loads of reasonable quality individual players but nothing a cohesive tight squad, despite what DU says. 

Tunnicliffe is mega and would be up there with Norwood (and Raglan) in terms of tent size.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Some perfectly reasonable points but Hobson didn't play right back/wingback at Southend until Sutton got himself sent off and how do we know Hope is looking sharp?

Just now, oafc1955 said:

TBH…haven’t seen enough of him to have any sort of opinion but that would be pretty ridiculous wouldn’t it?

I remember Clive Allen going for £1.5 Million twice in one close season. Now that will take some beating.

Just now, Monty Burns said:

Tunnicliffe is mega and would be up there with Norwood (and Raglan) in terms of tent size.

I don't see what others are seemingly seeing in Raglan - at the moment.

18 minutes ago, Lags said:

I remember Clive Allen going for £1.5 Million twice in one close season. Now that will take some beating.

Andrew Dallas who we chased in the summer and ended up at Barnsley has gone out on loan 30 odd days later to Kilmarnock.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't see what others are seemingly seeing in Raglan - at the moment.

Andrew Dallas who we chased in the summer and ended up at Barnsley has gone out on loan 30 odd days later to Kilmarnock.

yes thats why we are talking about it 😂

Raglan not been the best but l cant believe you have also used 'lm not seeing what others see' you will have completed Boo Bus Bingo by tea time at this rate!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yeah, saw that the other day. He's or the club have made a mistake or more likely with the great start made by the Barnsley strikers Dallas ain't gonna get game time and needs to.

I know this mainly appertains to bigger clubs but they do buy players and loan out straight away, not saying for one minute this is the case here.

Edited by Lags

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Not a bad shout but I hope he stays. Really like him as an impact player but not sure his ability to control his actions on the field sometimes and get himself sent off are going down too well with Big Dave....

Not sure they go down well with anyone!

I suspect Reid may be one to leave. Nuttall is more of a workhorse up front and more fancied than Reid, who I don't think is clinical enough. We have Green who can play in multiple positions including Reid's. I'd keep Tollitt as backup. He has to work on his defensive play and if he can significantly improve that he'll be 'league ready' (i.e. much more of a sellable asset). Assuming Hope is an obvious candidate and if Fondop has lost too much goodwill, attack would effectively be Norwood, Nuttall, Green, Willougby and a replacement lump for Fondop.

Centre midfield has to be the area to box off properly. Most teams in this division have obvious weaknesses in defence and attack but nearly all have a fairly robust, solid midfield. Ours is completely the opposite hence the soft goals we're prone to conceding. Our frontline has teeth but we still need to feed it more effectively.