BPAS PODCAST: 29th Aug '23, S4E6: Stand By Your Man?

18 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l'd be disappointed if people werent angry tbh but lm more annoyed at the people pretending to be angry. the ones who had a really shite second half of last season because we did well theyre 'angry' now on demand which is pathetic.

l was gona say luckily this doesnt apply to either of us, but then l realised lm a bit angry!!!

I moved beyond being angry about Latics  in about 2015

5 hours ago, Ackey said:

Culture is a difficult thing. It generally speaking takes time and effort to build, but can also be fickle and change on a whim. And predicting which bit you're in is hard. Predicting when a whim may occur is borderline impossible. It's also not homogeneous. You can have pockets of culture within a wider one. You can have conflicting cultural behaviours. You can. You can. You can... 

With that said, it's also worth thinking about those pockets. Not because they are isolated, they influence eachother massively, but because we're in a time of change and things don't change in identical quick-step with eachother. 

Business Culture

- Massively changed. The club as an organisation/business is barely recognisable from a year ago. We've seen huge steps forward in professionalism and more.

Team Culture

- Still a lot of work to be done, clearly not going the way anyone would want results-wise and some reasonable questions to be asked still.

Fan Culture

- Improved in general, came together well during the worst-of-times. Travel in incredible numbers. Home attendances brilliant for this level or the one above. Some really impressive strengths that could be capitalised on more. But, still plenty to do too - drawn to mood swings, toxic behaviour (see Chesterfield last-min) and more. Often the most evidently affected by the wider national culture and certainly the case in these polarised times (cliché klaxon sounds). Also the most readily affected by the Team's performance. 

Club Culture 

- An amalgamation of all the above and more. Probably better than it's been for 20 years. But still in a state of change and flux. Also one that's very vulnerable to other elements, such as Fan Culture. 

I could go on, these are examples not an exhaustive list. But the point is as a Club we need to keep picking away at all these elements one by one, improving small parts of them. We should make a LOT of them, but without assuming there's only one culture or that it's mono-directional. Keep improving small things in many areas and they will support eachother, improve eachother and eventually we'll be in a better place. Ramble over.

I shouldn’t have used the term fan culture,  as it ventures into what you are describing, and as you rightly say comes in many forms.

I should have said fan behaviour at games, including treatment of players and managers and we are no different to any club. We are not special or different, nor can collective responsibility ever be achieved. 

The partisan minority were hounding Ronnie Moore out 15 years ago, and sang some awful songs. It’s nothing new and it will always be there at every club. 

• Like 1

Where do people go if they're this angry now? Well nowhere. Apathy will set in. 

I'm angry that we could be missing an opportunity here. 7,500 are turning up in the expectation of success. These are exceptional gates for us, if our home gates from the last 30 years are anything to go by - these numbers won't stick around if we continue bumbling along in the lower reaches of the conference. I want them to keep coming back, but we'll be back down to 3,500 if we don't push up the league soon.  The casual fan will see this as yet another false dawn.

Lesser gates, means lesser funds and then the whole project stalls again....

• Like 9

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Where do people go if they're this angry now? Well nowhere. Apathy will set in. 

I'm angry that we could be missing an opportunity here. 7,500 are turning up in the expectation of success. These are exceptional gates for us, if our home gates from the last 30 years are anything to go by - these numbers won't stick around if we continue bumbling along in the lower reaches of the conference. I want them to keep coming back, but we'll be back down to 3,500 if we don't push up the league soon.  The casual fan will see this as yet another false dawn.

Lesser gates, means lesser funds and then the whole project stalls again....

Correct, had the same conversation with another fan today, I've continued to go on and off whilst we've been garbage, that 4000 extra bums on seats are there to see something and like it or not there is an expectation, I'm happy some are disapproving because it's shite I actually half expect it tbh it's almost ingrained in us.

whilst thats a legitmate concern you also told us the same thing last season and told us if Unsworth stays we will be on 3000 this season. which is spectacularly wrong.

as was 'Unsworth will take us down' and 'we wont be able to attract players' and some other wild unfulfilled prophecies l cba to go back and check.

we have all been here before. well all of us except the person who youre tryna scapegoat.

there is one common demoninator thats always present in the previous failures and thats the toxic boo boyz who were 'right all along every single time'

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I wouldn't mind knowing if the listener numbers are higher or lower after a particularly hurting defeat or a pleasing win. Is that something you can disclose @BPAS?

Our listener numbers are continually rising & we have a loyal base, however its fair to say we see a marked increase for interviews and a mild increase in newsworthy weeks. We were hoping to understand what a prolonged period of good results & positivity might do, as we often receive feedback that people don't listen because they don't want to be subjected to moaning (seriously!). Sadly, we haven't had that yet.

Edited by BPAS
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I wouldn't mind knowing if the listener numbers are higher or lower after a particularly hurting defeat or a pleasing win. Is that something you can disclose @BPAS?

I had a similar conversation with my father in law on Monday about the fans bar. I will usually go in after we've lost to chill out before heading home, but if we win I usually just go straight home and have a brew. Interested to hear the ISZ takings after a defeat compared to a victory...