BPAS PODCAST: 29th Aug '23, S4E6: Stand By Your Man?

That wasn't a fun bank holiday, was it?

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 6am and listen to both shows ad free.

If you'd like to advertise on the show, please email info@oafcpodcast.co.uk

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Matt featured this topic

well, l didnt like this question mark when l saw it last night.

how are us with no grey cells of our own who solely rely on the pod for our viewpoints supposed to back Rhino all night if you might abandon him in the morning????? 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬*

*l am not being serious.

Edited by Monty Burns
*our

Matt is so right isn't he 😔

when you realise we have fans who are ignoring anything positive and just circling like Jackals its proper depressing.

usually followed by some twonk on here saying in an authorotive tone 'no Latics fan wants us to lose, thats just lies' usually timed perfectly with somebody goin 'l hope we lose' which is obviously ignored/not seen 🙄

Edited by Monty Burns
*hope

Andy Roberts isnt getting the analogy of a club that went bust like we did and is starting again at the bottom like we sort of are is he? 🤣 l get his 'we are like celtic' type effort, its kind of correct in terms of size, resources, pie sales etc

he's got some good points but lets not 'send David Unsworth on a course' 

that sounds like when directors come and 'help' on the shop floor!!

4 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

@Matt@Andy, hand on heart and honest answer....and the answer can't be you trust the process/owner, or how much it will cost to sack him etc ...

If your in charge do you honestly believe Unsworth is the man to take us back up? 

Simple answer Yes or No?

answered repeatedly for months and again today on the pod

Another good listen.

I don't watch you, so am hardly in a place to assess where you are. But I can't help noticing that five of your six opponents so far are clubs I thought would be top half this season. Admittedly one of them is Southend, but still....

If it's any consolation, your fan base is not really all that different from any other, and these days the world is full of people who seem not to be able to control their emotions. There are some conspiracy theorists among my club's support who are actively trying to undermine the owner. When you consider what we had to do to get him, it beggars belief, but that is human nature for you.

Matt's point at the end was a good one. If you are this angry six games in, you leave yourself literally nowhere to go. It's just not a healthy way to think or behave.

2 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Another good listen.

I don't watch you, so am hardly in a place to assess where you are. But I can't help noticing that five of your six opponents so far are clubs I thought would be top half this season. Admittedly one of them is Southend, but still....

If it's any consolation, your fan base is not really all that different from any other, and these days the world is full of people who seem not to be able to control their emotions. There are some conspiracy theorists among my club's support who are actively trying to undermine the owner. When you consider what we had to do to get him, it beggars belief, but that is human nature for you.

Matt's point at the end was a good one. If you are this angry six games in, you leave yourself literally nowhere to go. It's just not a healthy way to think or behave.

Ironic given Matt's ramblings last week

• Like 1

I think far far too much is made of our fans and our culture. We are no different to any other football club- as Baz rightly alludes to above. You will always have a partisan vocal minority whose behaviour and actions the majority wouldn’t replicate. You will have the fair minded majority who will swing both ways depending on the football/results. You will have the absolute diehards who clap anything because they love the club so much. 
Matt talks a lot about a collective responsibility, which in effect means circa 8000 people all behaving/acting/thinking/responding the same way. It’s never going to happen. 

Onto the football, and Matt nailed it at the end for me. I just want to win. I don’t care if it’s low block/back block or any other kind of block- I just want to win. I’d prefer to play on the front foot and be more attacking but whatever Unsworth wants to do is ultimately ok, as longs as he wins, and patience can only given when it’s reflected in results. As Andy Roberts said about Unsworth comment - you can’t build anything without results. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

Another good listen.

I think it’s more disappointment than anger, for me anyway. If more time gives us a springboard to winning games then great, but I don’t see anything like a cohesive confident group with six games and the pre season out of the way . 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I think it’s more disappointment than anger, for me anyway. If more time gives us a springboard to winning games then great, but I don’t see anything like a cohesive confident group with six games and the pre season out of the way . 

There’s also the added expectation and, therefore, disappointment at how things are going. It feels as though this is a huge opportunity for the football club to capitalise on the biggest crowds and feel-good (or felt-good as it is now..!) factor in years. Instead it feels very much as though we’re squandering it and that is currently down to the manager. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Another good listen.

It's not 6 games in of Unsworths management it's a calendar year almost, most comments on here are about how we have not progressed from last year despite the full backing of the club and a whole pre-season to work with the squad, if anything based on the first 6 games we have gone backwards.

• Like 4

I did quite enjoy it however I'm struggling listening to Matt at the moment. In particular when he supposedly wants other people's opinions but seems to me to reply to them perhaps in a slightly condescending manner even describing something as bullshit.  Or am I imagining it? I probably am..........

Edited by IanMarshall's Mullet
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, shaw_blue said:

It's not 6 games in of Unsworths management it's a calendar year almost, most comments on here are about how we have not progressed from last year despite the full backing of the club and a whole pre-season to work with the squad, if anything based on the first 6 games we have gone backwards.

This seems to been missed by many, Shezasoraus had us in mid table on 8 points after six games last season with a squad full of raffle winners, fast forward twelve months and we are somehow fighting relegation with three points less on the board yet some of our fans still think Unsworth needs more time, for what exactly? We know how he wants to play, we know his football is mind numbingly boring, we know half the fan base are never going to take to him unless he somehow gets us winning, yet we are prepared to leave him behind the wheel as he drives the bus off the cliff. 

I'd take Darren Kelly or David Dunn over this lad, he's had ample opportunity to walk the walk but somehow still has us crawling along despite all the money they've thrown at it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think far far too much is made of our fans and our culture.

Culture is a difficult thing. It generally speaking takes time and effort to build, but can also be fickle and change on a whim. And predicting which bit you're in is hard. Predicting when a whim may occur is borderline impossible. It's also not homogeneous. You can have pockets of culture within a wider one. You can have conflicting cultural behaviours. You can. You can. You can... 

With that said, it's also worth thinking about those pockets. Not because they are isolated, they influence eachother massively, but because we're in a time of change and things don't change in identical quick-step with eachother. 

Business Culture

- Massively changed. The club as an organisation/business is barely recognisable from a year ago. We've seen huge steps forward in professionalism and more.

Team Culture

- Still a lot of work to be done, clearly not going the way anyone would want results-wise and some reasonable questions to be asked still.

Fan Culture

- Improved in general, came together well during the worst-of-times. Travel in incredible numbers. Home attendances brilliant for this level or the one above. Some really impressive strengths that could be capitalised on more. But, still plenty to do too - drawn to mood swings, toxic behaviour (see Chesterfield last-min) and more. Often the most evidently affected by the wider national culture and certainly the case in these polarised times (cliché klaxon sounds). Also the most readily affected by the Team's performance. 

Club Culture 

- An amalgamation of all the above and more. Probably better than it's been for 20 years. But still in a state of change and flux. Also one that's very vulnerable to other elements, such as Fan Culture. 

I could go on, these are examples not an exhaustive list. But the point is as a Club we need to keep picking away at all these elements one by one, improving small parts of them. We should make a LOT of them, but without assuming there's only one culture or that it's mono-directional. Keep improving small things in many areas and they will support eachother, improve eachother and eventually we'll be in a better place. Ramble over.

• Like 6

I’m not remotely angry, most people aren’t. I just think DU appears clueless and hapless.

What is it with wanting to perpetuate and amplify the existence of a very polarised situation…with on the one hand the angry foaming at the mouth ‘DU out’ brain dead yobs versus the high moral ground, intelligentsia who seem to support DU no matter what with “yeah, but…” responses and “if we’d won today it’d look so different”. We didn’t and it doesn’t. Being incredibly reasonable and patient is lovely, but it doesn’t make you right or even a better person, when we are merely talking about football. 

The truth is most people aren’t so polarised, don’t shout abuse at players or DU, aren’t shouting “jobs for the boys” and simply want us to start winning. Even most who have made their mind up about DU and want him out are perfectly sensible and just quietly very miserable…they aren’t singing abuse and enjoying the “pissboil”. All seems like pretty standard fan differences of opinion that you see at any club at any time to me. 

I guess the hyperbole and rants drive traffic to the podcast and phone in. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I guess the hyperbole and rants drive traffic to the podcast and phone in. 

I wouldn't mind knowing if the listener numbers are higher or lower after a particularly hurting defeat or a pleasing win. Is that something you can disclose @BPAS?

Dont post much on here anymore, still enjoy to read the posts and debates tho.

I must admit tho I've become quite frustrated at the current situation, and I'm only talking the team and management here because I trust the Royles and the Rothwells have the very best for our club at heart and they will want success just like we do for obvious reasons.

But lets focus on the manager here, the team and the reaction of us fans, I include all us fans when I say us fans.

The team on paper, budget and in terms of quality should at least be good enough to gain a play off position, once all fit and played in their best positions. Here is the problem I have with the team, I cant pick out our spine, I am basing this on our first 6 games. Apart from Norwood, who would start in any team in this league and probs the two above, in defence its hard to pick who would be the defensive spine, Hobson/ Raglan would be my choice but DU seems stuck on Hogan, I'm not convinced.

In midfield I am at a loss, because Sheron and Shelton would not form a spine of any team in our league or above imo. Goalkeeper has to be Norman but the current GK makes me very nervous.

How can we adopt a system of play when we dont have the spine of a team to form the team around, this comes down to DU.

He wants to play a low block, as you say, In lamens terms I call that letting the other team have the ball and wait for an oportunity to steal it back and quickly break on them, this can only work if you have the quality of player that when we win the ball they can transition into a quick counter attack  Sheron & Shelton cant do this, they are poor on the ball so they give it away and our defence ends up under more pressure, not the defences fault if you ask me. Currently gardner is our only central midfielder with and real quality but he's made of chocolate so DU is scared to utilise him too much.

And if we play a 433 formation, Nuttall cant play that, he is suited to 442 only with a Norwood, willoughby, reid playing off him.

Fondop much better used as a sub, he has proved this many times, he is also very erratic and like on Saturday is capable of letting the team and manager down.

Is Lundstrom the answer, we dont know, he had great reviews last season but there will so much expectation on the young lads shoulders when he returns, and Ward too.

I genuinely believe we shouldnt be playing to counter attack, I believe we should be in the face of teams from minute 1 and go for goals, I know DU is scared of conceding, why is that, is that because he has no confidence we will score more than the opposition.

For me too negative and that is showing in the players.

A team in this league with our budget and players should not be sitting back waiting for spells in games.

As for the fans, you're always going to get a small, loud minority who will always be heard over the more sensible grown up fans with a bit more sense between their ears. 

But why fuel them Matt on the so called #, its as childish to respond and get into silly debates with these people, just ignore, do your thing on the podcast and youtube, dont let yasell down by responding at their level.

Overall for me give him 10 games, behind the scenes will continue to improve with or without DU, crowds will dwindle and the voices of the minority will be added to if he is allowed too much time.

And fine margins, poor refs,  crap pitches etc are the same for all teams, no excuses.

Improve quickly or go.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I’m not remotely angry, most people aren’t. 

l'd be disappointed if people werent angry tbh but lm more annoyed at the people pretending to be angry. the ones who had a really shite second half of last season because we did well theyre 'angry' now on demand which is pathetic.

l was gona say luckily this doesnt apply to either of us, but then l realised lm a bit angry!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I wouldn't mind knowing if the listener numbers are higher or lower after a particularly hurting defeat or a pleasing win. Is that something you can disclose @BPAS?

ld wager theyre higher when we lose, but they don't actually want the listeners bc theyd rather they we win!!

tbh l dont know how they do it.