What’s needed in the squad

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

he has easy been MoM at least twice, but yeah.

42 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I’d argue he’s been MOM most times he’s played 

36 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

me too but lm tryin not to be such an extremist!

people literally sit there thru 99% of a match ignoring what happens until somebody runs faster than him and then decide that means nothing else matters, never a RB 0/10

12 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

An argument that you would definitely lose … sides target our right side because they know that we are weak there - Sutton is no fullback 😮

sometimes life can be like a tapestry..

The game changed second half when they pushed the big centre forward onto Sutton as he was getting little change out of Hobson in the first. They were having a great man to man battle, which the referee was happy to observe, so their manager moved him wider right to push him onto Sutton.

His physicality was a bit much for Sutton and it had the added bonus of restricting him going forward as, although he was having limited success, he was keeping wide on the touchline in the first half and drawing their defence across a little. 

I think we need a decent attacking right wing back and ball playing midfielder to enable Sutton to battle for his place in the centre of defence, where he'd be more comfortable, and move us comfortably into the play-offs. 

57 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

An argument that you would definitely lose … sides target our right side because they know that we are weak there - Sutton is no fullback 😮

Well that’ll teach me to start reading a whole thread before I chime up,I thought we were talking about Hobson 😂

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The game changed second half when they pushed the big centre forward onto Sutton as he was getting little change out of Hobson in the first. They were having a great man to man battle, which the referee was happy to observe, so their manager moved him wider right to push him onto Sutton.

His physicality was a bit much for Sutton and it had the added bonus of restricting him going forward as, although he was having limited success, he was keeping wide on the touchline in the first half and drawing their defence across a little. 

I think we need a decent attacking right wing back and ball playing midfielder to enable Sutton to battle for his place in the centre of defence, where he'd be more comfortable, and move us comfortably into the play-offs. 

Doesn’t even need to be a wing back for me.   An attacking right back (a right footed Kitching basically)  would provide width and allow us to play with an extra central midfield to help get control of the ball.

4 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

Doesn’t even need to be a wing back for me.   An attacking right back (a right footed Kitching basically)  would provide width and allow us to play with an extra central midfield to help get control of the ball.

Could be right but I was thinking it would allow us to play a back 3 and allow Kitching a bit more attacking free rein as he was struggling to get back quite a bit on Saturday.

Hopefully the next incumbent is announced this week because I cannot see any squad additions until the new manager is in place, even then, it will be too late for strengthening before the Alty tie. Meanwhile, ST could probably be asking the players once again why the fuck they stop playing after twenty minutes.

It's not like there will be players on the phone every day, flocking to come to BP now that Unsworth has gone. *

* Sarcasm

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Could be right but I was thinking it would allow us to play a back 3 and allow Kitching a bit more attacking free rein as he was struggling to get back quite a bit on Saturday.

Second half his starting position was a lot higher up the pitch and was playing as a wingback. 

I really like him and he is both one of our better players and attacking outlets, but from what I’ve seen my opinion is he is better as a fullback. 

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

Hopefully the next incumbent is announced this week because I cannot see any squad additions until the new manager is in place, even then, it will be too late for strengthening before the Alty tie. Meanwhile, ST could probably be asking the players once again why the fuck they stop playing after twenty minutes.

It's not like there will be players on the phone every day, flocking to come to BP now that Unsworth has gone. *

* Sarcasm

ST covered this talking to Creepy Dave on the pod by saying recruitment doesnt just pause and to expect decent Footballers thru the door sharpish

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Oxlade-Chamberlain at Kidderminster?

RB/RWB, gets forward, good crosser, long throw, tall and powerful. Bit of a journeyman though.

Still can't understand why we didn't really push for Tylor Golden and/or Reagan Ogle instead of Freeman; Chris Conn-Clarke instead of Dickenson and Kamil Conteh rather than renew Gardner and Hope. 

That would surely have left enough in the budget for another CM and a winger. 

And don't get me started on a left-footed CB/LB as we have absolutely no cover for Kitching

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I see Freeman is training with the team . You can see him in the latest ‘gallery’ of photos on the Latics website so I wonder what the problem is with him and not seemingly in the mix for starting at RB.

Has the question been asked of the club? Its very odd

4 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Has the question been asked of the club? Its very odd

My guess would be he wasn't fit when he joined, he had to take a break for paternity leave which put him back to square one fitness wise and Will Sutton has done a good job in his absence. Hopefully he's close to match fitness and can provide Sutton with a bit of competition.

1 hour ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I see Freeman is training with the team . You can see him in the latest ‘gallery’ of photos on the Latics website so I wonder what the problem is with him and not seemingly in the mix for starting at RB.

excellent news great spot 

31 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Can anyone spot Dickenson or Green in the training vid? Are we looking at Tollitt and A.N.Other on the flanks at the weekend?  

Eminem says on that video Penryn shared that he loves a winger but also that he won't play wingers unless he's got some good uns available.

maybe get em together early doors or late on if needed.

30 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Jayzus, youre brave!! thats the type of nonesense l come out with!!!

Ha! Glad I'm not on my own. When I look back to his debut at RB against Dorking he's come on massively playing in that position. Initially offered very little going forward and has developed into providing some threat down that flank. Still only 20. Think this spell at RB will help his development when he almost certainly reverts to CB.

31 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Eminem says on that video Penryn shared that he loves a winger but also that he won't play wingers unless he's got some good uns available.

maybe get em together early doors or late on if needed.

Eminem, like what you did there. I'm a Tollitt fan but not sure he fits into a 442. He was our best player before Christmas last year (low bar admittedly). Wonder if MM might pull a rabbit out of the bag and recall Kofi Moore from loan if the senior players are out injured.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Ha! Glad I'm not on my own. When I look back to his debut at RB against Dorking he's come on massively playing in that position. Initially offered very little going forward and has developed into providing some threat down that flank. Still only 20. Think this spell at RB will help his development when he almost certainly reverts to CB.

yes l do think he is benefitting enormously lm just concerned at the Phil Neville effect and l think ld rather him go play on loan week in week out at CB. if not now then soon.

14 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Eminem, like what you did there. I'm a Tollitt fan but not sure he fits into a 442. He was our best player before Christmas last year (low bar admittedly). Wonder if MM might pull a rabbit out of the bag and recall Kofi Moore from loan if the senior players are out injured.

Kofi Moore thats it l couldnt remember his name talkin to my bro. l think we will see him after xmas.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

I like this.

Even back in League One wingers were too inconsistent.

You're much better off with the solidity of wide midfielders or more central midfielders... 

• Like 1