What’s needed in the squad

ST says he wants 4 new players, and you have to agree with him. I don’t think the squad is good enough as a whole,  which given the money spent is quite scary and a poor reflection on the recruitment.

So what does the new manager need to get us where we want to be?  

Hudson/Norman - ok. 

Freeman

Raglan

Hobson

Kitch

That back four is good enough for promotion- surely? 

Sutton and Hogan to cover. 

So we need cover at right back and left back. 

Green - good on his day- but not consistent enough. 

Lundy too early to tell, still isn’t fit. 

Sheron- steady- but passing isn’t good enough. 

Dicky- has his moments- but drifts out of the game. 

Ward - No one knows yet.

Shelton- nope. 
Tolitt- nope. 

We need an upgrade on Sheron and someone to push Green and Dicky and get them out of the comfort zone. Nowhere near good enough for promotion in this area. 

Up front. 

Nors

Reid

Nuttall

Kurt

Mikey. 

Surely there’s enough goals there? 

In summary, we have recruited heavily in repeated potions- centre half and Strikers. But we’re light at fullback, and really struggling for consistency across the whole of midfield. We’re not getting promoted with the lob sided nature to our squad. 

• Like 1

Goalkeeper, both are adequate for this level. Personally I still prefer Norman.

Rightback is a weakness but I don't think it's our biggest problem as we are setting up but I much prefer a wing back and we need to bring one in.

Centre backs would be Hobson central, Hogan left and Raglan right. Sutton, McGahey and Sheron would provide adequate cover.

Left wing back would be Kitching with Dickinson the natural cover but he needs to lose some bulk and become more mobile.

Midfield needs an overhaul, Green and Dickinson are squad players for me, only really Lundstrum seems to be comfortable with the ball at his feet as well as having the legs to get up and down the pitch. Sheron I see as a utility player but he could play in a central three with 2 ball players like Gardner and Lundstrum.

Any two from five upfront although I have a preference for one of either Nuttall, Fondop or Norwood with either Reid or Willoughby. None of these five can do a job in midfield which is how they are being used at times.

For me the RWB, two quality wide men and at least one maybe two ball playing midfielders. 

Shocking situation really given the players we have and with the restriction of 5 players on the bench in this division.

• Like 1

No-one ever seems to mention Hope any more. Tons of league experience at a higher level. Looked effective last season b4 the Chesterfield incident. Can play wing or front three. Works hard, can hold it, can finish. Attitude is apparently good. Looked back to sharpness in recent cameos. Was sub a couple of times but now omitted again. I think he should be an option.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sloshed Joe said:

No-one ever seems to mention Hope any more. Tons of league experience at a higher level. Looked effective last season b4 the Chesterfield incident. Can play wing or front three. Works hard, can hold it, can finish. Attitude is apparently good. Looked back to sharpness in recent cameos. Was sub a couple of times but now omitted again. I think he should be an option.

Apart from someone like Vincent today and a  right fullback with pace I think we are OK.A new manager should be able to improve the rest.

GK: whilst neither are particularly great, they’re good enough for this level and not worth spending any of the budget here.

3-5-2 for me every day of the week.

Hobson, Hogan & Raglan as CB

Sutton & Sheron can fill in when one or two out out.

Is Freeman alive? If so, him at RWB but I don’t think he’s a long term option and I’ve seen dozens of decent forward thinking right backs in this league in the last 18 months that this shouldn’t be difficult to rectify.

Kitching is better as a LWB than a LB. Dickenson at a push as cover.

Midfield - out obvious issue. Gardner is decent but made of biscuits, Lundstram clearly has ability but I feel is still bedding in. I don’t care that Sheron won players player last year, if we have promotion ambitions, we need an upgrade. Most teams I’ve seen in this league, even the tinpot ones, have someone in midfield who can dictate the game. We don’t have that and we badly need it.

Dickenson needs to shift a few lbs but clearly has ability. He could easily play as a #10 but still think we could do with a proper one.

Wingers: Green is an impact player at best - come at me.

We need a proper RW.

No issues up front.

So in short, we need a manager, a RWB, CM, #10, RW.

Centre midfielder to replace Gardner who can only be trusted from the bench. One has to be excellent on the ball and can tackle / high press.

Central-defensive midfielder. Like Sheron but one who doesn't amble around marking space and doesn't think sitting two yards in front of a solid back line is an adequate position when we don't have the ball.

A carbon copy of Mark Kitching in at right back.

I think, once we have these in, the 'luxury' players like Dickenson and Green will show the real value we have. We'll also dominate games when we go 1-0 up and convert them into fairly routine 4-0 routs.

RB and CM for me. We never have issues down the left because Kitch is there. He can defend and go forward. Sutton struggles with both. He wins headers but he's too slow on the turn.

CM get another Lundstram and play 451 woth Sheron just behind doing the hard graft. Allow us to dominate midfield. We just need to be more potent going forwards.

CB we have are fine. Hobson is a brilliant signing and Higan for some reason gets a bit of stick but he'll put his body on the line and does a good job. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

RB and CM for me. We never have issues down the left because Kitch is there. He can defend and go forward. Sutton struggles with both. He wins headers but he's too slow on the turn.

CM get another Lundstram and play 451 woth Sheron just behind doing the hard graft. Allow us to dominate midfield. We just need to be more potent going forwards.

CB we have are fine. Hobson is a brilliant signing and Higan for some reason gets a bit of stick but he'll put his body on the line and does a good job. 

Thought Kitching was all over the place defensively yesterday probably because he was playing too far forward.

If we got a decent right wing back in and a midfielder who holds the ball a bit better we could play 3-5-2 and it would transform our season.

• Like 1

Biggest problem is midfield, need two quality central midfielders because I believe the preferred formation will be 352, lundstram and two others.

Also need a RB/RWB.

Also cover for Kitching.

Thats 4.

Dickenson, Green, Hope, Tollit all capable cover and if formation goes 442, Dickenson could play advanced midfielder for me in a 352.

Fondop or Nuttall to go.

10 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Dickenson, Green, Hope, Tollit all capable cover

Where as I feel this is our biggest problem, I dont like playing with out and out wide players particularly in a midfield four, Green and Dickinson can't play as wing backs so we end up carrying them at times which results in us getting overrun. 

We still don't have any real identity and that's the first thing the new man needs to address even if initially we don't see any progress. 

• Like 1

We need the ability to reverse the ageing process, so we can stick Redders, Nick Henry, Rick Holden and Neil Adams in midfield.

You could probably play Andy Ritchie the age he is and he'd still be our best striker...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We need the ability to reverse the ageing process, so we can stick Redders, Nick Henry, Rick Holden and Neil Adams in midfield.

You could probably play Andy Ritchie the age he is and he'd still be our best striker...

This lot wouldnt have the legs but they would keep the ball longer than the current lot

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Where as I feel this is our biggest problem, I dont like playing with out and out wide players particularly in a midfield four, Green and Dickinson can't play as wing backs so we end up carrying them at times which results in us getting overrun. 

We still don't have any real identity and that's the first thing the new man needs to address even if initially we don't see any progress. 

I agree neither could really play a 352.

But in a 442 with ovelapping fullbacks to switch with they should be capable really.

2 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

Biggest problem is midfield, need two quality central midfielders because I believe the preferred formation will be 352, lundstram and two others.

Also need a RB/RWB.

Also cover for Kitching.

Thats 4.

Dickenson, Green, Hope, Tollit all capable cover and if formation goes 442, Dickenson could play advanced midfielder for me in a 352.

Fondop or Nuttall to go.

You've identified the preferred system of a yet to be appointed manager?