Bobby Charlton RIP

As I'm sure everyone is aware Bobby Charlton passed away today aged 86. Was there a more respected footballer by all? I had the pleasure to be in his company a couple of times, once whilst he was still a player and again some years after he had retired, an absolute gentleman and I don't care what your football allegiance this is a sad day. RIP Bobby, you were one of a kind. 

• Like 12

In Mike Keegans "This is how it feels" he tells the story after the 1990 FA cup semi final replay after the game obviously our players are back in the changing rooms obviously gutted and Joe is trying to pick them up. They get a knock on the door it's Bobby Charlton he came in congratulated each of our players and said they should be proud of their performance and they were unlucky not to win it was a great gesture from a grandee of the game.

Before my time to truly appreciate but When you see him from the TV highlights you notice how firstly he glides across the pitch effortlessly and how well he strikes the ball off both feet. You very rarely see a player in the modern game who can strike a ball off both feet that well infact I cant think of one.

The greatest player this country has ever produced.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

As an illustration of how Charlton was famous throughout the world: I was in Bukhara in about 1987 or 1988, then part of the USSR and now Uzbekistan I think. I was wandering down a street sightseeing with my wife and a little kid about 9 or 10 years old kicked a ball towards us. This was of course pre-internet, pre-mobile phones, in a part of the world culturally very different to Moscow or Leningrad, never mind western Europe. So I kicked it back to him and he must have heard me speaking English or guessed we were, because he just grinned and started shouting "Bobby Charlton, Bobby Charlton!". I remember saying to my wife that it just showed how famous he was, about 15 years after he'd retired from playing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

As an illustration of how Charlton was famous throughout the world: I was in Bukhara in about 1987 or 1988, then part of the USSR and now Uzbekistan I think. I was wandering down a street sightseeing with my wife and a little kid about 9 or 10 years old kicked a ball towards us. This was of course pre-internet, pre-mobile phones, in a part of the world culturally very different to Moscow or Leningrad, never mind western Europe. So I kicked it back to him and he must have heard me speaking English or guessed we were, because he just grinned and started shouting "Bobby Charlton, Bobby Charlton!". I remember saying to my wife that it just showed how famous he was, about 15 years after he'd retired from playing.

Perhaps it was a compliment on your first touch? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Maybe it was your comb-over?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Nohairdontcare said:

I was lucky enough to meet Bobby Charlton and chat to him in Dublin years ago when we were on the brink in 2004 I think it was… I told him a bit about the situation the club was in, and he told me he hoped we would survive and clearly cared and really meant it. A true great. RIP. 

he was so engageable. on the final time l met him he said he had 'seen me grow up' l replied he only recognised me bc l'm (insert slur)' and the laugh l got l will never forget!!!!

Bobby Charlton Soccer School. those were THE dayz. 😍.