MATCH: AFC Fylde (A) 24/10/23

I wholeheartedly agree with other posters that most of this league is much of a muchness and anyone can beat anyone else on their day. I always worry about the performance after a big win and we were never at the races on Tuesday. I had hoped we would make a game of it in the second half but Hogan's needless sending off put paid to that.

Just as I worry about the comedown after a big win, I am really hopeful we will see a reaction on Saturday to what was a terrible performance at Fylde in front of tremendous away support.

I really like Will Sutton and think he will be a top player at a level higher than this but agree with others, his confidence has gone and he needs taking out of the firing line. However, in his and Kitching's defence I would say they seem to find themselves 1 on 1 with wingers more often than I would like to see. Shelton also needs a breather for the same reasons but he has had to play because of scant resources, hopefully that will start to ease shortly.

Intrigued to see how we line up on Saturday, wouldn't be surprised to see the 4-1-4-1 that was successfully deployed at Rochdale. Surely it has to be Raglan for Hogan?   

Other than reverting to the passive attitude that has lead to so many flat performances, one other thing that got me about Tuesday was how little effort we put into shithousery.  Hogan did a slight pull for that 2nd yellow and ended up getting sent off. But he got elbowed 2 or 3 times in that incident and if he'd gone to ground clutching his head or chest he might have got away with it. If his teammates had made a big fuss of it the ref might have even sent off the Fylde player as it was right in front of the lino.

There was another incident in the first half where it looked like a late sliding foot up tackle on Hobson. Ref gave a foul. Hobson just stood up and got on with it, none of our players made a fuss.

As much as it's admirable in a sense that they're playing honestly, the refs in this league are so easy to con but we just don't even try.  The only time I think we did it was when Shelton made a meal of a normal tackle, the ref booked the Fylde player and Shelton got up, nowt wrong with him. It's no good playing nicely if no one else is and there's no reward for it as the refs fall for it every time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Only Blue said:

He used to play decent at CB prior to being moved to RB and I remember he switched back there earlier in the season and instantly looked comfortable again. 

I agree his positional awareness is not good but you defend against a winger differently than you do a centre forward. He doesn't get out muscled he gets out paced as he is chasing a winger rather than battling with him.

Regarding getting slaughtered your "appraisal" of his faults seems to be slaughtering him isn't it?

Obviously slaughtered by more people, the same way Shelton gets it. He's a terrible footballer. He does get outmuscled. He's not up to this level and cant see him being

• Bender unfeatured this topic