MATCH: AFC Fylde (A) 24/10/23

Thought it was a bit strange how the team came out in just their kits (no jackets etc.) for the usual kick off time of 7:45 last night. Seemed like a good 5/10 mins before Fylde came out.

Could we literally have been caught 'cold'?

Edited by Gaz_Oafc
  • Like 1

We’ve had the same problem for the last few years now , most of our defensive & attacking problems stem from a poor midfield. Nobody to protect the defence and not one midfielder who can pass forward & create chances . 
Hogan , Hobson & Kitchin are more than good enough for this league . Norwood , Nutall & Reid good enough for this league , what’s missing !!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bluemood
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bluemood said:

We’ve had the same problem for the last few years now , most of our defensive & attacking problems stem from a poor midfield. Nobody to protect the defence and not one midfielder who can pass forward & create chances . 
Hogan , Hobson & Kitchin are more than good enough for this league . Norwood , Nutall & Reid good enough for this league , what’s missing !!!!!!!!!

Bullseye! 🎯 

22 minutes ago, Bluemood said:

Sorry, but Nuttall won’t make a decent footballer as long as he’s got a hole in his arse…half hearted, lazy and devoid of any sort of touch.

It seems even Unsworth towards the end, Thompson & Mellon think similar because he’s hardly featured of late and now can’t even make the matchday squad….IMO he’s crap!!!

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Thought it was a bit strange how the team came out in just their kits (no jackets etc.) for the usual kick off time of 7:45 last night. Seemed like a good 5/10 mins before Fylde came out.

Could we literally have been caught 'cold'?

l'd say it could be contributory, aye

53 minutes ago, Bluemood said:

Eminens only been here a few days but hopefully thomo nicely left the scouts info on them he was looking at and also Muzza would have told him. he's seen it twice now tho so something has to happen we need one certain player as literal open heart surgery aaarrrrggggjhhh!!!!!!

sorry!!

8 hours ago, Lukers1 said:

I’d have to go with that but the 6.0 defeat at Leeds in 84 was also a dark day!!😂

I started a new job the following Monday, and found my new boss was a Leeds fan 😩.

Tommy Wright, Andy Ritchie (3), John Sheridan and Andy Lineghan scored their goals- I wonder what happened to them afterwards?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, True Tic said:

Just had a look at the table - to think we were joint favourites for promotion at the start of the season…

We were second favourites weren’t we? I take your point, it’s massively disappointing so far, but the odds will only have reflected weight of money staked. 

I like MM’s post-match interview. He looked embarrassed and was clearly hurting. Some are criticising him re use of subs - I suspect he thought the game was gone after the sending off, and wanted to see what the players on the pitch could do to turn things round. He got his answer.

• Like 1

I’ve slept on it and feel even more annoyed today!

This squad is garbage, it is full of exactly the wrong type of modern young player…think they’re good because they have a pro contract at a “big” club and are not willing to put in the work required to improve, and god forbid anyone criticises the poor little snowflakes 

None of them are leaders on the pitch and I genuinely don’t think any of them really care, it’s just a job, they get paid in full regardless of their performance and they assume the manager will get fired way before they do.

If any of them played a pro sport that relied on individual performance and paid out based on achievement (Golf, Tennis etc) this lot would feckin starve.

This season is another write off and Mellon has a huge job on his hands.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He wasn't injured. He was doing running with the others not in the squad before the 16 came out to do their warm up. Of memory, it was Willoughby, Gardner, Nuttall, Raglan and another who I can't remember. Then the floodlights went out...

Freeman 

Edited by LightDN123

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

This squad is garbage, it is full of exactly the wrong type of modern young player…think they’re good because they have a pro contract at a “big” club and are not willing to put in the work required to improve, and god forbid anyone criticises the poor little snowflakes 

None of them are leaders on the pitch and I genuinely don’t think any of them really care, it’s just a job, they get paid in full regardless of their performance and they assume the manager will get fired way before they do.

If any of them played a pro sport that relied on individual performance and paid out based on achievement (Golf, Tennis etc) this lot would feckin starve.

Whilst I agree with you that Mellon has a big job long term, the season is far from a write off. We are 5pts off the play-offs and I stand by my opinion that on the whole the league is crap. We've played 7 of the top 8 sides and not one of them has made me think we can't compete with these. It won't take a great deal of improvement to get in the top 7. If we can embark on another 8 game unbeaten run with 4 wins we should be right in it come Christmas. Chesterfield have sailed off and will most likely hit 100 pts but i'd say 4th - 7th is well within range for about 12 teams including us. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

There isn't a single point in that post that is based upon fact-just what you feel at the moment, none of which you can substantiate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, south east latic said:

Some comments on here after Rochdale suggesting we’d go unbeaten for the rest of the season were laughable.  

Guilty as charged, your honour!

I was a bit giddy after Rochdale away and thought that MM had instantly instilled some much needed "steel" as all the players were really "up for it". In view of the fact we had been unbeaten in 8 games since DU's departure, and now had real fight in us, I thought great; upwards and onwards.

Unfortunately, the steel I saw turned out to be a mirage and last night it was more like liquid mercury.

As bad as any Latics performance I`ve seen. Oh dear.  

Anyone thinking Sutton should play at CB, especially over Hogan is smoking something funny. Hogan was stupid last night but he's been playing well. Sutton gets destroyed by anyone running at him. Turns like an oil tanker. Gets outmuscled by wingers.

He would get terrorised even more at CB his positional awareness is garbage. Honestly anyone not from our youth would get slaughtered as a few have said.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Anyone thinking Sutton should play at CB, especially over Hogan is smoking something funny. Hogan was stupid last night but he's been playing well. Sutton gets destroyed by anyone running at him. Turns like an oil tanker. Gets outmuscled by wingers.

He would get terrorised even more at CB his positional awareness is garbage. Honestly anyone not from our youth would get slaughtered as a few have said.

He used to play decent at CB prior to being moved to RB and I remember he switched back there earlier in the season and instantly looked comfortable again. 

I agree his positional awareness is not good but you defend against a winger differently than you do a centre forward. He doesn't get out muscled he gets out paced as he is chasing a winger rather than battling with him.

Regarding getting slaughtered your "appraisal" of his faults seems to be slaughtering him isn't it?

Just watched a replay of the game…it doesn’t get any better, it just confirms we were/are absolutely shite.

Kitching backing off & backing off for the first and for the third Shelton giving the ball away for the umpteenth time are the standouts.

34 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Just watched a replay of the game…it doesn’t get any better, it just confirms we were/are absolutely shite.

Kitching backing off & backing off for the first and for the third Shelton giving the ball away for the umpteenth time are the standouts.

I'm trying to think of something I'd like to have done less than that.  Nothing comes to mind

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Masochist