MATCH: AFC Fylde (A) 24/10/23

24 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Exactly, Mellon is still learning about the players and probably thought it was best to leave the shape as it is after they'd been on a decent run. Genuinely seeing fans digging Mellon out already and saying they have doubts about him, 2 games in. Some of our support absolutely revels in negativity

Not seen anyone digging Mellon out, he's actually been critical of himself post match so I'm not sure why fans can't hold the same view, he will have had little impact so far but I suspect he will know exactly how big the job is after that performance. 

Given the obviously sensible view that McGahey needed a night off seems very odd that Raglan wasn't on the bench instead of him.  No rumours at all of injures?  Even if he'd fallen out with Unsworth and/or Thompson I'd have thought there'd be a clean sheet from the new man

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Not seen anyone digging Mellon out, he's actually been critical of himself post match so I'm not sure why fans can't hold the same view, he will have had little impact so far but I suspect he will know exactly how big the job is after that performance. 

I didn't mean on here in fairness, should've made that clear. Another reason I should stay off Twitter really 

I agree though, if he didn't know he had a big job on before he will now. 

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

The one positive last night was Mellon has quickly been shown the frailties of some of this team when they under the cosh. I’m glad in a way it’s happened now. Was a bit puzzled he didn’t take off Norwood or put someone alongside him but I understand the issues re the sending off/subs etc 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Given the obviously sensible view that McGahey needed a night off seems very odd that Raglan wasn't on the bench instead of him.  No rumours at all of injures?  Even if he'd fallen out with Unsworth and/or Thompson I'd have thought there'd be a clean sheet from the new man

He wasn't injured. He was doing running with the others not in the squad before the 16 came out to do their warm up. Off memory, it was Willoughby, Gardner, Nuttall, Raglan and another who I can't remember. Then the floodlights went out...

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Agree Dave. Real coup of a signing and can’t even get on the bench. 

Very odd. 

Love some of the comments about playing 1 up front completely forgetting we played 1 up front on Saturday and scored 4.

I'm not sure I'd have either taken Hope off or even made a sub when Hogan got sent off. Hope will always run himself ragged, an endeavour needed playing a man down. Green won't.

Personally I'd have shifted Sutton inside and played either Sheron or Shelton, probably Shelton, at RB.

I'd have also told Norwood to run his bollocks off as he was coming off for Reid / Fondop after about 60 minutes. Playing a man down you need high energy pressing and the lone striker is very tough position to play high energy pressing for 60 minutes.

Not convinced by Hogan at all, will be interesting who comes in for him now he is suspended for a TBD amount of games. As his first yellow was his 5th of the season, so he was due a suspension before he was sent off anyway.

6 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Love some of the comments about playing 1 up front completely forgetting we played 1 up front on Saturday and scored 4.

It's not about playing one up front - it's about playing one up front when it's not working!

We just seemed to be playing out a 2-0 defeat..and couldn't even manage that!

I'd have taken Shelton and Hope off, stuck Reid and Fondop up top, bypassed the midfield because it served no purpose and just launched it!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

This is probably insulting Mellon's intelligence, but does he know that Shelton has previously played full back...?

How many games has he actually played there, and how long ago?  Could it be that he switched positions because he wasn't very good at it?

Let's be honest defensively we have been a shambles in Mellon's first 2 games in charge...and im not sure what has changed.

We conceded 4 goals in 7 games before he took charge and then 5 in 1 game and 15 mins!

I'd like to think he would look to shore things up again as his first priority.

4 out of the next 5 games are away games at Alty, Newport, Woking and Barnet so he needs to sort it the fuck out quickly. 

Edited by Londonboy
  • Like 1

Complete overreaction from our fanbase as per usual. It's the same when we win a few games, listening to the fans on social media and then the podcast on Monday you'd think we had gone 20pts clear at the top after beating Rochdale. I get we were 8 unbeaten and that's great but we hadn't made that much headway on the play-offs  (think we were 6pts off the top 7 when Unsworth was sacked and now we are 5pts) and now after a really poor performance and result you'd think we were staring relegation in the face. The truth is always somewhere in the middle, I'm sure Mellon will put things right and for once i'm pretty zen myself about all this. I've every confidence in the coaching staff putting things right and recruiting the players needed providing Frank can back him like he did Unsworth and we will get the top 7 come the end of the season. Whether we will be good enough to actually go up is very debatable but the play-offs can be like a lottery and we might just do it. A side note to that is I don't think Mellon would have taken the job if he hadn't had assurances that there was a budget set aside to bring in new players.  

The dust has settled and I've read all the comments.

First, the match. We got thumped by Fylde who simply out ran, out muscled and just wanted it far more. Our players are too weak, too small and too slow without the required heart to over come their ability shortfall.

I think Shelton needs the door but he wasn't anywhere near the worst last night. Hogan needs calling into the office today and being told in no uncertain terms as captain he has responsibilities. First to be the gaffers leader on the pitch getting into the players ears when required, geeing up when heads go down and leading by example. The example getting the second yellow after whinging (again) to the officials due to being bullied is not leading. If he can't do it hand in the armband.

Green needs telling if he doesn't up his effort, he's out. Scoring a goal is not his only role and will not save him the chop. He's weak and a poser. Sheron I think does try and maybe he's excelling above his ability in which case needs replacing with a better standard player. Will Sutton is being done week in week out, get him out the firing line and certainly away from RB, he too slow for that.

Both keepers are not good enough. Nothing more to add on them. Kitching has been our most effective crosser of the ball or our out ball. he wasn't great last night and if he's to keep getting forward to cross then midfield need to cover or one of Hobson and Hogan need to shuffle across and fill the void for the ball over the top in the space he's left.

Tollitt lost the ball on each occasion he touched after coming on last night and the odd worldy he produces is not enough to save him the chop due to his poor work rate as team member.

Once the forwards are provided some quality service creating chances or half chances we can dissect their performances on the jobs they are primarily employed for. However I'll say it now Nuttall will not cut it.

We are too slow, too small to compete in the National League. Even during the 8 game run that was still evident. Like I posted pre last night we rely on the opposition missing their chances every game. Not the place to be.

Over to MM and the board to manage the ship outs and capable players in, because that's what is required. Who agree's with that lot? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lags said:

The dust has settled and I've read all the comments.

First, the match. We got thumped by Fylde who simply out ran, out muscled and just wanted it far more. Our players are too weak, too small and too slow without the required heart to over come their ability shortfall.

I think Shelton needs the door but he wasn't anywhere near the worst last night. Hogan needs calling into the office today and being told in no uncertain terms as captain he has responsibilities. First to be the gaffers leader on the pitch getting into the players ears when required, geeing up when heads go down and leading by example. The example getting the second yellow after whinging (again) to the officials due to being bullied is not leading. If he can't do it hand in the armband.

Green needs telling if he doesn't up his effort, he's out. Scoring a goal is not his only role and will not save him the chop. He's weak and a poser. Sheron I think does try and maybe he's excelling above his ability in which case needs replacing with a better standard player. Will Sutton is being done week in week out, get him out the firing line and certainly away from RB, he too slow for that.

Both keepers are not good enough. Nothing more to add on them. Kitching has been our most effective crosser of the ball or our out ball. he wasn't great last night and if he's to keep getting forward to cross then midfield need to cover or one of Hobson and Hogan need to shuffle across and fill the void for the ball over the top in the space he's left.

Tollitt lost the ball on each occasion he touched after coming on last night and the odd worldy he produces is not enough to save him the chop due to his poor work rate as team member.

Once the forwards are provided some quality service creating chances or half chances we can dissect their performances on the jobs they are primarily employed for. However I'll say it now Nuttall will not cut it.

We are too slow, too small to compete in the National League. Even during the 8 game run that was still evident. Like I posted pre last night we rely on the opposition missing their chances every game. Not the place to be.

Over to MM and the board to manage the ship outs and capable players in, because that's what is required. Who agree's with that lot? 

Me

11 minutes ago, Lags said:

We are too slow, too small to compete in the National League. Even during the 8 game run that was still evident.

Well we looked like a team of giants compared to Rochdale last week.

Hogan seems to get a bit of stick-unfairly for me. Yes he had a poor game last night but so did Hobson & Kitching  who have been a standouts so far.

Don't get your goalie comments at all-both OK for this standard-would like to see Norman get a run for no other reason than he may speed up play a bit.

The rest seems fair comment to me.

• Like 2