MATCH: AFC Fylde (A) 24/10/23

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But they’ve just gone 8 unbeaten. . .

I’m not disagreeing with you either you, I just find it baffling that one week we look like we have a good squad with some good options, and the week after we look like we need half a new team. 

I know what you mean, it is baffling but in amongst that 8 game run have been some poor performances. The last two or three games under Tommo showed us slowly sliding back into that poor pattern of play. I just don’t believe particularly after tonight that this squad has the mental strength, character or ability to get us where we want. Love to be proved wrong obviously. 

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Saying they "literally can't play football" is a bit of an overreaction isn't it? Especially when they've just proven they can by going 8 unbeaten

Of course I'll be told those games don't count for some reason.

Tonight was dreadful, not defending it. But hopefully a blip

Agreed. 

We can’t just disregard 8 unbeaten. 

But we do seem to shoot ourselves in the foot. 

Freeman or Shelton at right back and drop Sutton. 

If we don’t the have the players fit enough for a certain formation. Play a formation that utilises the squad. 

Just now, True Tic said:

I know what you mean, it is baffling but in amongst that 8 game run have been some poor performances. The last two or three games under Tommo showed us slowly sliding back into that poor pattern of play. I just don’t believe particularly after tonight that this squad has the mental strength, character or ability to get us where we want. Love to be proved wrong obviously. 

Equally Tic- we’ve played well and lost. It works both ways.  So I never buy the ‘we’re winning but it’s still poor’ argument. 

Where I do agree though, is their lack of mental strength or more accurately their ego’s writing cheques their character can’t cash. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Reid will be hurting.

No instagram story tonight. 

Norwood on his own tonight, utterly pointless. Didn’t see him win anything. Not a criticism at all when he’s shadowed by at least three players throughout the game. Though we might see a change but Mellon must have seen something I didn’t . 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Equally Tic- we’ve played well and lost. It works both ways.  So I never buy the ‘we’re winning but it’s still poor’ argument. 

Where I do agree though, is their lack of mental strength or more accurately their ego’s writing cheques their character can’t cash. 

I think that’s the main thing, grit, guts, coolness, self assuredness ,whatever you want to call it. That’s what brings consistency. They don’t have it. I thought at some point they might click, push back, take control, but frighteningly it got worse and worse. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Hope people get back OK tonight, I took a flyer because it was shite, but the M6 was closed off at the M55 junction with a diversion into Preston, then you couldn't get onto the M60 from the M61 so diverted down the East Lancs. Topped off a shite night. 

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Yea, awful journey home, almost 2 hours. What a dreadful night overall.

Train wasn't much better delayed before it left Blackpool, but at least there was plenty of room, as Northern had put on a double train.

6 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Train wasn't much better delayed before it left Blackpool, but at least there was plenty of room, as Northern had put on a double train.

It took over two hours to get home. Eventually got in at 12.45 am.

I bet that pile of shit who turned up last night to represent the club on that pitch are still in bed when most of us are up and off to work absolutely knackered.

Still absolutely shell-shocked at what I witnessed last night. Second best all over the back and could easily have been 5 down at HT.

Both Hogan's bookings were the correct decision, he was stupid for getting sucked in to it. Even with 11 men, we were way off the pace. I thought the decision to sacrifice Hope instead of the anonymous (again) Green was a strange one, as was the withdrawal of Lundstram in the second half. Prior to the Rochdale game, I was telling a mate of mine how good Hobson had been - since then, he's put in two complete horror shows. Kitching has never been as bad for us as he has the last two games. Norwood might as well have been stood with me on the terrace. 

Still, it's one defeat in 9. Hopefully we react well on Saturday and go on another unbeaten run...

• Like 2

It seems Fylde did their homework on us. If you get stuck right in, press hard and fast we're put off our stride very easily. We can't handle physical opponents, it's been the same for years now.

Mellon will have identified this and will work to offload those that can't. It won't be quick, and it won't be easy. I thought it was a bit of a freak performance by us. Very remeniscant of those first few months last season. We've got to have physical and mental toughness along with quality to get out of this division. One or the other isn't enough.

In a way I'm glad a performance like this has happened so quickly. It's really easy to identify those who just aren't up to the task and it would have told Mellon all he needed to know. Sutton (at RB anyway) and Shelton are two that just don't work. Green's a passenger in those type of games but brilliant when we're 'on it' like Saturday. The only one who came away with any sort of credit was the goalkeeper. He had little chance with any of the goals and kept the score as respectible as it can be against a nouveau riche pub team. Hogan's suspension may mean he'll struggle to get back in with a couple of strong performances by Raglan or Sutton. His was as idiotic as Fondop's against Solihull.

Some comments on here after Rochdale suggesting we’d go unbeaten for the rest of the season were laughable. We still have the same deficiencies in the squad thanks to Unsy and our wonderful recruitment team and until they’re addressed, we’re going nowhere. Deficiencies combined with the lack of effort on show last night is a recipe for disaster. 

Last night was probably the worst performance I’ve ever seen and some of Mellon’s decisions were definitely questionable. But he’s two games in and, as above, it might be no bad thing that he’s got to witness that horror show first thing early doors. 

I’m resigned to the best we can hope for this season being sneaking into the play offs which is far from good enough but ultimately where we’re at. 

32 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

One of the reasons I didn't post in detail last night is because I didn't want to be overreactive. But this morning, I still have it down as the worst Oldham performance I have ever witnessed...

I’d have to go with that but the 6.0 defeat at Leeds in 84 was also a dark day!!😂

Mellon was careful to talk about 'we' in the post match interview - and rightly so in my opinion. I'm not writing him off after two games, that would be foolish, but as bad as the players were last night, I think Mellon has to take some share of the responsibility for the performance.

That first half was as bad a half as I have witnessed this season. Right from the first minute we were simply not at it.  He said in his post match that we did not match their running - very true.

Yet again we watched our team outrun, outthought and outplayed by the opposition.

I thought he knew how to get the best out of Norwood...  yet he played him as a lone striker and allowed the team to pump high balls to him. It didn't work.

There was a point during the first period when Kay was down receiving treatment and the players grouped around the manager - a time to reset perhaps? Nope, more of the same followed.

He persisted with his 4-1-4-1 away from home at the bottom of the table team. He had Fondop and Reid on the bench - neither were used.

Also - he has come in and apart from McGahey and Hope (both Paul Murray changes) he has persisted with the same players that we have seen stutter and fail all season.

Shelton and Sutton should not be starting and Sheron is average at best. 

What other options does he have? Ward, Gardner, Dickenson are injured as they would have brought more energy but the players last night were collectively woeful.

Then there are the question marks around Raglan, Willoughby, Nuttall and Freeman.

Mellon and his assistant, Brabin, will know all of the above and far more. They need time but they also need to get to work sharpish. I do not want to see another performance like last night ever again.

• Like 2

You can only play one up front if you have a six foot plus forward who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.

The other purpose of this you have a forward willing to battle it out with the centre half’s and get a share of free kicks and get some set play goals.