MATCH: AFC Fylde (A) 24/10/23

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Mellon was careful to talk about 'we' in the post match interview - and rightly so in my opinion. I'm not writing him off after two games, that would be foolish, but as bad as the players were last night, I think Mellon has to take some share of the responsibility for the performance.

That first half was as bad a half as I have witnessed this season. Right from the first minute we were simply not at it.  He said in his post match that we did not match their running - very true.

Yet again we watched our team outrun, outthought and outplayed by the opposition.

I thought he knew how to get the best out of Norwood...  yet he played him as a lone striker and allowed the team to pump high balls to him. It didn't work.

There was a point during the first period when Kay was down receiving treatment and the players grouped around the manager - a time to reset perhaps? Nope, more of the same followed.

He persisted with his 4-1-4-1 away from home at the bottom of the table team. He had Fondop and Reid on the bench - neither were used.

Also - he has come in and apart from McGahey and Hope (both Paul Murray changes) he has persisted with the same players that we have seen stutter and fail all season.

Shelton and Sutton should not be starting and Sheron is average at best. 

What other options does he have? Ward, Gardner, Dickenson are injured as they would have brought more energy but the players last night were collectively woeful.

Then there are the question marks around Raglan, Willoughby, Nuttall and Freeman.

Mellon and his assistant, Brabin, will know all of the above and far more. They need time but they also need to get to work sharpish. I do not want to see another performance like last night ever again.

Yep, I thought the same re Norwood, if you’re going to lump balls up the field to a loan striker at least get someone on with the height to reach them. 
That was embarrassing last night, outplayed, outfought and outwitted by the worst team in this league.

Not good enough but I don’t think a good number of them are good enough full stop.  

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

One of the reasons I didn't post in detail last night is because I didn't want to be overreactive. But this morning, I still have it down as the worst Oldham performance I have ever witnessed...

I'd tend to agree. We actually started quite brightly at Southend until Norwood missed a sitter

17 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Yep, I thought the same re Norwood, if you’re going to lump balls up the field to a loan striker at least get someone on with the height to reach them. 
That was embarrassing last night, outplayed, outfought and outwitted by the worst team in this league.

Not good enough but I don’t think a good number of them are good enough full stop.  

It would be quite something to enter the loan market for a striker when we have 5 or 6 of them on the books

Just now, Dave_Og said:

It would be quite something to enter the loan market for a striker when we have 5 or 6 of them on the books

I meant a good number of the players in general Dave, not specifically the strikers. I watched Norwood lose out over and over again without so much as a glimmer of movement from the bench . Fondop or Reid would have made a difference although I doubt theyd have turned it around completely. The whole thing was just awful. 

2 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I meant a good number of the players in general Dave, not specifically the strikers. I watched Norwood lose out over and over again without so much as a glimmer of movement from the bench . Fondop or Reid would have made a difference although I doubt theyd have turned it around completely. The whole thing was just awful. 

unarguable

Last night was my sons first away match .... he had been looking forward to it for weeks now .....  from 1-11 it was just awful to watch. Making Shelton a scapegoat is the easy thing to do but christ on a bike. Lets start with the positives !!

We got in the car park ! 

Double whopper was good !

Starbucks Latte was good ! 

Game was shite ... players were shite ..... the scoreline was shite .... 5 outfield players were more shite than Shelton, who was shite. There were one or two melts in the crowd baying for blood and hurling personal abuse at the players which was shite ... So overall it was shite. Then after finally getting out of the car park ..... they closed every exit feasable to prevent us getting home ... and after the 50min journey turned to 2 hours .. they had the audacity to close Rochdale Rd as well ..... which as you may have guessed was shite. My sons verdict on the whole thing was it was shite. My plans for another awayday have gone to shite ...... oh and finally getting diverted all over Garstang and Salford when you are bursting for a pee after being in M555 traffic for what seemed like hours .... is SHITE ! 

Edited by andy_b_100
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

You can only play one up front if you have a six foot plus forward who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.

The other purpose of this you have a forward willing to battle it out with the centre half’s and get a share of free kicks and get some set play goals.

Rochdale played a 17yo against us last week who looked a great prospect yet we send the best youth I've seen here in 20 years Alfie Atherton on loan to Burscough, where I hear he's  been sensational.

I doubt if Mellon has ever seen him play so he should recall him immediately.

He's a fast direct right winger who can dribble past opponents and send over excellent crosses. Exactly what Fylde had last night and we need.

A lot stronger than Green too.

Why we are frightened to give youth a go and rely on slow immobile players beats me.

We know of several youths who never got a proper chance here are now with higher clubs, it's a poor policy and needs changing. To lose Atherton in this way would be a disgrace IMO.

• Like 1

That display was totally embarrassing, we have too many players who are hiding and shirking any responsibility, they looked to have 2 or 3 more players on the pitch!

If a team has a proper go at us we’re clueless. Our players are basically a group of individuals who don’t play as a ‘team’. 

Our squad is devoid of leadership and  there is no consistent pattern to our play.

What happened to the high press we adopted at Rochdale?

Shelton comes back in alongside Sheron and we refer to type….I hope Mellon now realises, as we all do, that these two players do not belong together on a football pitch!!

We need two full backs, Sutton’s inadequacies have been done to death but Kitching is equally culpable, he should be LM as going forward he’s decent but he’s too easily beaten because the defensive side of his game is really poor!

Hobson & Hogan had absolute shockers but weren’t helped by our nonexistent midfield!

Green like Tollitt is so so weak and when out of possession a total passenger.

Norwood was yet again totally isolated up front, surrounded by defenders with no support whatsoever. Until we can get him an adequate strike partner he will prove to be a total waste of money!

When you consider our two major striker signings, Nuttall & Willoughby can no longer even make the match day squad I think we need to try to move them out.

I think we need 5 players as an absolute minimum.

Our current squad is nowhere near the standard required to get back into the EFL, the majority of these players are simply not good enough!

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

Last night was my sons first away match .... he had been looking forward to it for weeks now .....  from 1-11 it was just awful to watch. Making Shelton a scapegoat is the easy thing to do but christ on a bike. Lets start with the positives !!

We got in the car park ! 

Double whopper was good !

Starbucks Latte was good ! 

Game was shite ... players were shite ..... the scoreline was shite .... 5 outfield players were more shite than Shelton, who was shite. There were one or two melts in the crowd baying for blood and hurling personal abuse at the players which was shite ... So overall it was shite. Then after finally getting out of the car park ..... they closed every exit feasable to prevent us getting home ... and after the 50min journey turned to 2 hours .. they had the audacity to close Rochdale Rd as well ..... which as you may have guessed was shite. My sons verdict on the whole thing was it was shite. My plans for another awayday have gone to shite ...... oh and finally getting diverted all over Garstang and Salford when you are bursting for a pee after being in M555 traffic for what seemed like hours .... is SHITE ! 

Yes the magical mystery tours of Preston and Salford really topped off my evening too. 

• Like 2

Just now, oafc1955 said:

What happened to the high press we adopted at Rochdale?

Shelton comes back in alongside Sheron and we refer to type….I hope Mellon now realises, as we all do, that these two players do not belong together on a football pitch!!

A point of note, Sheron was part of that high press. He showed the standards required on Saturday. I accepted Mellon's reasoning to rest McGahey, however it shows our lack of depth when Shelton is selected to carry out the deep lying role when he's nowhere near adequate for that position. In fact, for me, he's one of the first out of the squad if we're trying to make room. Just isn't good enough.

Just now, oafc1955 said:

We need two full backs, Sutton’s inadequacies have been done to death but Kitching is equally culpable, he should be LM as going forward he’s decent but he’s too easily beaten because the defensive side of his game is really poor!

It's a bit 'baby out of the bath water' on Kitching. He had a poor match last night and wasn't too clever at Rochdale. But he's one of our most consistent performers and I've not seen a better crosser of the ball at this level. I'd say left back and defence in general (apart from Sutton) are fairly sound. It's being overran in midfield where it always unravels.

I've said numerous times. If we get it right in midfield, with players who have the mental and physical toughness the rest will fall into place.

• Like 2

Biggest worry for me wasn't the players we know they can be weak as piss it was Mellon and Brabin's reaction to it all, literally when the second went in there was no way back because you could see we were just going to continue doing the same thing, Hogan's sending off just compounded everything, we've got no real leaders in there, Hogan for instance has one good game every five yet is a mainstay and captain when really he's not good enough, this persisting with Sutton at RB has to stop, it's bordering on irresponsible now, surely Raglan or Shelton could do a job until a suitable replacement can be found. Kitching is now getting caught out time after time, Sutton gets the flak but I'll guarantee more goals have gone in down left side than the right in the past month or so including the first two last night where Kitching actually appeared that he didn't look arsed, no competition for his place is probably a problem as at times he starts to cruise.

Simply we need players, where is Raglan, Gardner, Freeman, Willoughby even Nuttall could of done something last night because that cannot be allowed to happen again, it was an embarrassment all round.

20 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Yes the magical mystery tours of Preston and Salford really topped off my evening too. 

I was in a car with no sat nav, the diversion signs were non existent, fortunately I headed for Deepdale where I knew and managed to pick up a road for Swinton off the East Lancs. 

46 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Rochdale played a 17yo against us last week who looked a great prospect yet we send the best youth I've seen here in 20 years Alfie Atherton on loan to Burscough, where I hear he's  been sensational.

He's a fast direct right winger who can dribble past opponents and send over excellent crosses. Exactly what Fylde had last night and we need.

Why we are frightened to give youth a go and rely on slow immobile players beats me.

We know of several youths who never got a proper chance here are now with higher clubs, it's a poor policy and needs changing. To lose Atherton in this way would be a disgrace IMO.

Indeed. We could have done with the talent and pride of Harry Vaughan last night. (Edit: I'm hoping that the new management team, especially with Paul Murray bridging the gap between first team and others, may be a lot better in this regard). 

Edited by AlanGrovesFanClub

51 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He's only been there a week. Let's not get ahead of ourselves... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Mellon was careful to talk about 'we' in the post match interview - and rightly so in my opinion. I'm not writing him off after two games, that would be foolish, but as bad as the players were last night, I think Mellon has to take some share of the responsibility for the performance.

That first half was as bad a half as I have witnessed this season. Right from the first minute we were simply not at it.  He said in his post match that we did not match their running - very true.

Yet again we watched our team outrun, outthought and outplayed by the opposition.

I thought he knew how to get the best out of Norwood...  yet he played him as a lone striker and allowed the team to pump high balls to him. It didn't work.

There was a point during the first period when Kay was down receiving treatment and the players grouped around the manager - a time to reset perhaps? Nope, more of the same followed.

He persisted with his 4-1-4-1 away from home at the bottom of the table team. He had Fondop and Reid on the bench - neither were used.

Also - he has come in and apart from McGahey and Hope (both Paul Murray changes) he has persisted with the same players that we have seen stutter and fail all season.

Shelton and Sutton should not be starting and Sheron is average at best. 

What other options does he have? Ward, Gardner, Dickenson are injured as they would have brought more energy but the players last night were collectively woeful.

Then there are the question marks around Raglan, Willoughby, Nuttall and Freeman.

Mellon and his assistant, Brabin, will know all of the above and far more. They need time but they also need to get to work sharpish. I do not want to see another performance like last night ever again.

I read somewhere, could have been a Tranmere fan on here. That Mellon is very much it’s my way or you’re out. Maybe after Saturday he thought he had buy in from everybody and he was happy to go with the same shape and largely same team. He also said on a couple of interviews ‘I won’t change to much to quickly because we’re on a good run’. I think last night will have shocked him- and it will be really interesting to see who plays on Saturday. 

24 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I was in a car with no sat nav, the diversion signs were non existent, fortunately I headed for Deepdale where I knew and managed to pick up a road for Swinton off the East Lancs. 

Me too, absolutely ridiculous situation. I’d already had my fill of one circus last night to be met by another bunch of clowns closing the m/way in about fifteen places 

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Biggest worry for me wasn't the players we know they can be weak as piss it was Mellon and Brabin's reaction to it all, literally when the second went in there was no way back because you could see we were just going to continue doing the same thing, Hogan's sending off just compounded everything, we've got no real leaders in there, Hogan for instance has one good game every five yet is a mainstay and captain when really he's not good enough, this persisting with Sutton at RB has to stop, it's bordering on irresponsible now, surely Raglan or Shelton could do a job until a suitable replacement can be found. Kitching is now getting caught out time after time, Sutton gets the flak but I'll guarantee more goals have gone in down left side than the right in the past month or so including the first two last night where Kitching actually appeared that he didn't look arsed, no competition for his place is probably a problem as at times he starts to cruise.

Simply we need players, where is Raglan, Gardner, Freeman, Willoughby even Nuttall could have done something last night because that cannot be allowed to happen again, it was an embarrassment all round.

Think Raglan might have his chance on Saturday . I’m not sure about Hogan either. Can’t make my mind up about him. The Freeman situation needs sorting out. What on earth is going on with him? 
Definitely confused re not changing Norwood up front, especially late on when we had nothing to lose. We were missing pace and height up top, both of which we had on the bench. Couldn’t really understand bringing Tollitt on. 

30 minutes ago, League one forever said:

A few are saying the squad simply isn’t good after 8 unbeaten. 

After last season, I’d say the target this year from the club was top 7 as a minimum. 

So which players aren’t good enough to achieve that? 

For me in the positions we play them in;

Sutton

Hogan

Shelton

There would also be questions around:

Hudson

Green

McGahey 

Norwood

Potentially I think we are still the 3 or 4 players short we've been banging on about for weeks now.

That eight unbeaten has seen us use three different managers on top of Unsworth so we've probably had a bounce or two but for me the biggest miss has been Gardner, since he was injured at Kidderminster we've been largely awful and I know McGahey has plugged the gap post Thompson but he ain't the answer. We need some footballers who can control a game in the middle of the park and until that happens we'll get embarrassed.  Shelton and Sheron should never play together again and Lundstrum seriously needs to up his game, fuck know what was wrong with him last night.

A full year nearly to the day since the Alty embarrassment and we seemingly still have the same deficiencies. 

Edited by yarddog73

47 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I read somewhere, could have been a Tranmere fan on here. That Mellon is very much it’s my way or you’re out. Maybe after Saturday he thought he had buy in from everybody and he was happy to go with the same shape and largely same team. He also said on a couple of interviews ‘I won’t change to much to quickly because we’re on a good run’. I think last night will have shocked him- and it will be really interesting to see who plays on Saturday. 

Exactly, Mellon is still learning about the players and probably thought it was best to leave the shape as it is after they'd been on a decent run. Genuinely seeing fans digging Mellon out already and saying they have doubts about him, 2 games in. Some of our support absolutely revels in negativity

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 10

It was just an absolute shit show. No other way to describe it really.

Quite concerned that Mellon thought it'd be ok to start Norwood as the one man up front last night. I think the sending off probably stopped him from being able to change it at half time. If he's not having the ball played through to him then there's absolutely no point in playing Norwood as he offered absolutely nothing else. Radical I know, but I'd be tempted to play him in central midfield. He at least seems to have the ability to pass a football, more than the current lot do.

I would have moved Shelton to RB and Sutton to CB if it was up to me.

Hogan was a complete idiot and not something you would expect a captain to do. I don't know what Raglan has done, but he should be in the team and captaining it from now on.

Both full backs were left far too exposed to Fylde's wingers who ran the game. At one point Hope tried to track their full back and was left for dead, it was an embarrassing non-contest and it left Kitching to sort both the LB and LW.

The positives were:

Friendly stewards and the quickest beer queue I think I've ever waited in, but that was about it.

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sutton

Hogan

Shelton

Sutton - not his fault. Should still be in the squad as cover for centre half. 

Hogan - last season I had doubts on, but this season has been generally very good IMO. 

Shelton - agreed. 

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Hudson

Green

McGahey 

Norwood

Hudson or Norman are adequate, and I’d want any remaining budget going elsewhere. 

Green- one game in five. Not consistent enough, need a lot more. 

Harrison- think he’ll fill gaps this season and will go anyway at the end of the year. 

Norwood- it isn’t on ability it’s on attitude. Any chance you could be a leader- especially when we’re struggling. 

Who can Mellon rely on to be good more often than not IMO. 

Hogan

Hobson

Kitch

Sheron

Norwood. 
Hope. 

The trouble is, I don’t think we’re going to get the four or five that we perhaps want. So from the Mellon’s point of view he needs to start getting more out of a few. Lundy, Dickenson, Green,  and hopefully add a couple.