Shopping List For Next Season

Promotion this season looks a big ask with four wins required at least, plus three more matches to get through. Attention will start turning towards next season's squad. Which players have caught your eye around the National League who would be genuinely realistic targets.

For me, midfield needs a massive amount of attention, along with right back and possibly an upgrade in attack. I'll throw in...

Andrew Dallas (Barnsley)
He'll still be out of favour at Barnsley so we could negotiate a release. I think with the right service there's a goalscorer there. The Chesterfield match gave us a sneak preview of what he can do. An extended run will brush the rustiness off.

Tylor Golden (Halifax)

He's exactly who we need at right back / right wing back and the choice to not swoop for him last summer has cost us massively in terms of balance. Plays hard (forearm smash against Fondop at home proves that, albeit reckless on that occasion) and powers up and down the pitch. A hardened National League full back now. Out of contract at end of the season.

Joe Quigley (Chesterfield)
Out of contract in the summer and is a possible upgrade for Fondop. Utter pain in the arse to play against, will get the best out of Norwood. It'll be sad to see crowd favourite and "God's number 9" but we need better to lead the line and hold the ball.

Abo Eida (Grimsby)
Absolutely rapid left winger and former Bradford and Scunthorpe man, who's mainly played League Two all his career. Perfect for Kitching to overlap with and would create havoc as we stretch teams on the flanks. At 28, approaching his peak and out of contract this summer.

Tyrese Sinclair (Rochdale)
Rumours are we were interested in him during the winter. Very flexible, can play left, centre and right. A strong replacement and massive upgrade for Hallam Hope who's bound to be shifted out. He would probably relegate Green to the bench but having those two to choose from will give us the strength in depth at promotion-hunting team needs.

Antoni Sarcevic (Stockport)
The Sheron upgrade we've all been waiting for. Very experienced, won promotion with Fleetwood, Bolton and Stockport. Plymouth fans named him "The Manchester Messi" and he'd be a beast in midfield at our level. Mossley lad, so a sort of homecoming of sorts. Out of contract in the summer and the physical midfield 'boss' we desperately require.

• Like 3

The common thread among the recruitment over the last 20 months is that almost every single newbie has been welcomed by the vast majority of people on here as being a really good signing. Not easy.

• Like 2

We need a keeper, rightback, left footed centre back, new midfield, a couple of decent wide men.

Not going to happen though as we have a number of dead legs contracted through next season and anyone decent is likely to be off as they don't want to embarrass themselves playing in a 7-1-2 any longer to compensate for our poor keeper and defence and none existent midfield. 

Edited by yarddog73

For me it's simple....more width and pace is what we need. 

Agree midfield seems weak but when we have had some width/pace in the side we have actually looked OK, and I'm sure that they would be much more effective with more options out wide to pass too. When Green and Stones played for example these were arguably some of our better performances.

Midfield looks shit because of our lack of any real outlet apart from the long ball down the middle. Conlon, Lundy and even Sheron are capable I think in this league given options.

A right back yes defo, and I'd actually look for a decent left wing back also as Kitch seems lost at the moment.

I don't have FMS's knowledge of other teams players but what he seems to be saying with the type of player we need I 100% agree with. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Liam Mandeville has always done well against us. If Chesterfield looked for an upgrade ahead of their EFL season, then I'd be happy if we tried for him...

Yes, really rate him but I suspect he'd be too similar to Conlon. The glaring hole in midfield is an enforcer type (hence why MM has needed to use McGahey in a defensive midfield position out of necessity. First and foremost we need to stop being bullied and dictated to in midfield. Until this is remedied effectively, we'll continue to suffer from being overrun in large periods of matches.

We basically need a player that had the effect that Sean Gregan did when he arrived in 2006. It turned us into a real force in the division and complemented the creativity of Wellens brilliantly. 

• Like 1

I think it's a lot about personalities, rather just than talent.

We obviously need a balanced squad, but they've all got to buy into what Mellon wants to do.  Then - you'd expect - they'd be battling every week. 

No Billy Big Bollocks. Talented youngsters, with older pros, who's drag them through matches in a positive way.

I dunno if the wage structure needs looking at too. Think it needs spreading more evenly throughout the squad, rather than just having the strikers on the comparatively big bucks...

26 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think it's a lot about personalities, rather just than talent.

We obviously need a balanced squad, but they've all got to buy into what Mellon wants to do.  Then - you'd expect - they'd be battling every week. 

No Billy Big Bollocks. Talented youngsters, with older pros, who's drag them through matches in a positive way.

I dunno if the wage structure needs looking at too. Think it needs spreading more evenly throughout the squad, rather than just having the strikers on the comparatively big bucks...

Hopefully someone like a Macclesfield might be daft enough to take Norwood, get two strikers in with those wages.

12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Hopefully someone like a Macclesfield might be daft enough to take Norwood, get two strikers in with those wages.

Or a good midfielder...

Personally I'd like to see Norwood in a team that sets up to have a go like we did against Chesterfield, I certainly don't see him as the problem despite not quite understanding him at times. I get a feeling he wants out in the summer though and he may fancy another season in the EFL.

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Personally I'd like to see Norwood in a team that sets up to have a go like we did against Chesterfield, I certainly don't see him as the problem despite not quite understanding him at times. I get a feeling he wants out in the summer though and he may fancy another season in the EFL.

Probably end up with moneybags Rochdale and score 30

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Yeah let’s get rid of our top scorer, that should do the trick…. Baffling honestly 😂

He walks into every team in this division - and most, if not all - of the division above. 

Chesterfield assistant boss heaped praise on him and Dallas. Wouldn't mind betting they would fancy the pair of them in L2, even with Grigg still on their books.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yes, let’s have Nuttall and Willoughby instead.

2 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

He walks into every team in this division - and most, if not all - of the division above. 

Chesterfield assistant boss heaped praise on him and Dallas. Wouldn't mind betting they would fancy the pair of them in L2, even with Grigg still on their books.

Shouldn't be hard to offload him then

Just now, LightDN123 said:

Why would you want to offload him ? Do you not like a goalscorer ? 

He hasn't given us the numbers you'd expect for the outlay, he doesn't score goals out of the ordinary, his performances have generally been underwhelming.

Just now, deyres42 said:

Or just get a couple who aren't totally reliant on service and walk around with a face like a slapped arse.

Every striker needs service- and I don't give a toss what they look like, or what our psychologists in the stands think of their body language.

• Like 2

Just now, deyres42 said:

He hasn't given us the numbers you'd expect for the outlay, he doesn't score goals out of the ordinary, his performances have generally been underwhelming.

He’s scored 1 in 2 since he’s been here. You are talking bollocks. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Come on...

We really are letting that draw against on-the-beach Chesterfield cloud our judgement on the rest of the season...

Edited by JoeP

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s scored 1 in 2 since he’s been here. You are talking bollocks. 

He hasn't scored from open play this calendar year, one can only imagine the amount of stick Nuttall would be receiving in the same instance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

He hasn't scored from open play this calendar year, one can only imagine the amount of stick Nuttall would be receiving in the same instance.

Well he’s been injured for a decent chunk of it.