Shopping List For Next Season

31 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

There’s a chance that Willoughby might stay at Ayr as he’s had a fair amount of game time and has scored a goal or two but he’s a fair way from home and might not want to move to Scotland permanently. 
I don’t think there’s a cat in hell’s chance of Nuttall staying with Cheltenham, he’s getting very little game time and is enduring the wrath of the supporters already!

Unfortunately, I think we’re stuck with him for another season.😞

As for Ward, Shelton & Reid I think we may have to offer them some sort of settlement to encourage them to move on.

We really need a dozen or so off the books enabling us to bring in 4 or 5 quality signings giving us a squad of 25, which IMO would be more than enough for this league.

You might get your wish of a dozen leaving, Oafc1955.

If I am right, the following are out of contract/end of loan

Langley, Sachdev, Hogan, McGahey,  Couto, L Chapman, F Cookson, Tollitt, Gardner, Dickenson, Walker,  Windass, K Moore, Hope, Fondop, Dallas and Green (has 1 year option).

That's  before you look at the contracted surplus to requirements who might be moved on.

Even allowing for a few youngsters getting pro deals, there should be scope for a much-needed squad rejig.

2 hours ago, aaronoafc said:

Yeah this is a key part, I can’t imagine our budget will be as big as it is/was this season given the funding is reduced next year but imagine we’ll still be quite high up there in this league. 

The problem is shifting some of the dead wood. You’d imagine the majority of the 2024 lads will get released, the only ones in with a shout to be extended are Hogan, Green, Fondop and McGahey (I know…but MM seems to rate him) you’d imagine. Personally I think we will offer Hogan and Green deals and release the rest. I think MM will think he can get a tune out of Green, particularly if he’s cheap. 

However you still have so many lads signed up next year who probably won’t be used: 

Norman

Sutton

Sheron (will probably be used but is a big talking point)

Shelton

Ward

Nuttall

Reid

Willoughby

I could see us paying a couple off in summer which again will use budget. Reckon a team will take a punt on Willoughby as well but it won’t be easy shifting some of this lot on

We will always have the problem of these surplus to requirements contracted players until we manage to back a manager for the long term.

Inevitably players like this are generally the residue of a former regime who, largely by definition, have not come up to snuff

I think most of the players we’re looking to move on will get offers from elsewhere. They may have been poor for us but most if not all have had good spells elsewhere. 

The wages may have been a problem with moving them up to now, but in the summer they may be faced with one year on a higher wage but not playing at all vs a 2 year deal elsewhere on lower wages but they’ll probably be playing. It’d be more harmful to a career to stay where they were. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think most of the players we’re looking to move on will get offers from elsewhere. They may have been poor for us but most if not all have had good spells elsewhere. 

The wages may have been a problem with moving them up to now, but in the summer they may be faced with one year on a higher wage but not playing at all vs a 2 year deal elsewhere on lower wages but they’ll probably be playing. It’d be more harmful to a career to stay where they were. 

I shouldn’t think that will bother the likes of Nuttall as I don’t think he is that that arsed about playing football at all.

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

I shouldn’t think that will bother the likes of Nuttall as I don’t think he is that that arsed about playing football at all.

Fair enough. Sorry, I didn’t realise you knew him. 

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

It’s an opinion…am I not allowed one or summat?

You can have all the opinions you like. Presume I’m ok to comment on them. 

Seeing as Nuttall is out on loan right now I’m not sure why you targetted him as being someone you think isn’t arsed about playing. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

You can have all the opinions you like. Presume I’m ok to comment on them. 

Seeing as Nuttall is out on loan right now I’m not sure why you targetted him as being someone you think isn’t arsed about playing. 

His attitude out on the pitch is a good pointer and the fact that Mellon sussed him out fairly quickly backs that up I think too.

I don’t think he wants it enough and coasts through games and plays half arsed. Mellon likes a runner and he’s definitely not one of those…..He’s probably gone to Cheltenham just to get away from here for a while….it wouldn’t surprise me if he packed it in all together at the end of his contract.

Its only my opinion.

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

His attitude out on the pitch is a good pointer and the fact that Mellon sussed him out fairly quickly backs that up I think too.

I don’t think he wants it enough and coasts through games and plays half arsed. Mellon likes a runner and he’s definitely not one of those…..He’s probably gone to Cheltenham just to get away from here for a while….it wouldn’t surprise me if he packed it in all together at the end of his contract.

Its only my opinion.

He got 16 goals in 43 games last season. I think he’ll get offers if he’s interested. 

Or he might just go put his feet up in Cheltenham for a year whilst getting paid by us just to wind you up!

14 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He got 16 goals in 43 games last season. I think he’ll get offers if he’s interested. 

Or he might just go put his feet up in Cheltenham for a year whilst getting paid by us just to wind you up!

He won’t be at Cheltenham next year trust me.😆

As for winding me up, the club in their infinite wisdom gave him the contract, it’s not ideal but unfortunately they have to honour it!

I’m glad it’s not my money!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

The worry for me is that we seem to have given Mellon and Brabin the keys to the castle and moved away from what we were trying to do with a head coach and head of recruitment - you can question the quality of player and the staff brought in but the idea itself was the right one IMO

Brabin is also Sporting Director at TNS - I wonder if there are one or two gems he could entice to the heady heights of the National League? 

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Brabin is also Sporting Director at TNS - I wonder if there are one or two gems he could entice to the heady heights of the National League? 

Bet they wouldn’t be interested in any of ours!!😂😂😆

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

Nah, the manager's got to be the one choosing which players to sign. 

The post-sacking load of players that a new manager might not want is just a problem that's occurred since the dawn of time. Well, football. 

Whoever chooses them, chooses them. We need to find an identity, a way of playing and sign players accordingly.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Whoever chooses them, chooses them. We need to find an identity, a way of playing and sign players accordingly.

You would hope that would be the route Mellon will take!

20 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You would hope that would be the route Mellon will take!

Whoever the manager is needs to fit into our framework and way of playing, not just given carte blanche to do what they want, sign who they want.

39 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We certainly got an identity;   Jekyll and Hyde.    : -(

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Whoever the manager is needs to fit into our framework and way of playing, not just given carte blanche to do what they want, sign who they want.

Why not? Surely it's the manager who should dictate how we play, rather than a "stats department" and "recruitment department" tossing the manager a load of players he might not want and expecting him to turn the team into 70s Brazil...

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Why not? Surely it's the manager who should dictate how we play, rather than a "stats department" and "recruitment department" tossing the manager a load of players he might not want and expecting him to turn the team into 70s Brazil...

Next manager might come in and have a completely different philosophy, so you've got to go out and recruit a new squad again whilst trying to get rid of the ones he doesn't want, smart clubs don't operate that way.

At the moment we just seem to be flailing around without much a plan, chucking good money after bad and hoping the dice drop our way, very odd given the supposedly intelligent people running the club.

This 'identity' thing is nonsense. The only Identity I want is a winning one.  This sounds like West Ham fans whingeing about Moyes despite him delivering their first trophy in decades and having them the highest up the Premier League that they've ever been, because they're not doing it the West Ham way, whatever that means 

Edited by Dave_Og
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Next manager might come in and have a completely different philosophy, so you've got to go out and recruit a new squad again whilst trying to get rid of the ones he doesn't want, smart clubs don't operate that way.

At the moment we just seem to be flailing around without much a plan, chucking good money after bad and hoping the dice drop our way, very odd given the supposedly intelligent people running the club.

Which way of operating is there other than let the incumbent manager identify and sign players he wants for his team?

The only one I can think of is the sign players and force them on the manager way of operating? And we all know how that panned out, the last time we did that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

This 'identity' thing is nonsense. The only Identity I want is a winning one.  This sounds like West Ham fans whingeing about Moyes despite him delivering their first trophy in decades and having them the highest up the Premier League that they've ever been, because they're not doing it the West Ham way, whatever that means 

Yeah another example is Tottenham who under Big Ange have "their Tottenham back" they are likely to finish 5th and trophyless, like they always do.

7 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Which way of operating is there other than let the incumbent manager identify and sign players he wants for his team?

The only one I can think of is the sign players and force them on the manager way of operating? And we all know how that panned out, the last time we did that.

No, you recruit a manager who aligns with your chosen philosophy, whatever that maybe. If you want them to sign the players then fine.

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

No, you recruit a manager who aligns with your chosen philosophy, whatever that maybe. If you want them to sign the players then fine.

Go on, I'll bite. Who is it that is defining this chosen philosophy?