Shopping List For Next Season

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

He hasn't given us the numbers you'd expect for the outlay, he doesn't score goals out of the ordinary, his performances have generally been underwhelming.

You really do talk some bollocks!!

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

No it isn't.

Norwood is not the problem. 

He has scored nearly a third of all our goals this season, which I suggest is as good a strike rate for a player, as in any team in the top 5 divisions.

As a team we simply don't create enough chances and so we dont score enough goals.

Only Halifax have scored fewer goals than us in the top 14 which is criminal with our so called "fab 4" strikers, plus Reid who can't get a game.

Without Norwood we really would be fucked.

If Chesterfield are the yardstick, their goals from midfield include Naylor 12, Dobra 10, Banks 8, Colclough 7, Berry 6. 

This  - and the above supply line to Grigg/Quigley - show the huge problem in our squad. Lack of creativity and goals from midfield.

Be nice if our defenders could chip in from set pieces as well 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

All of it!

So the expectation in August was that we'd be happy with 17 goals by Easter?

Which goal/s has he scored that made you think, blimey that was good?

How many games has he really stood out in, dragged his team along in?

30 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You really do talk some bollocks!!

Without wanting to start the whole Norwood debate up again I agree he's not been the success I imagined and at times I've been disappointed, now a big factor in that will be the way we set up but surely for the money he's on he can do a little more than get involved if it's on a plate.

Some claim on here he's still our standout player but he is unlikely to be anywhere near the player of the season awards despite bagging around 20 goals playing with pub players. Thinking about it the seasons been that shite they will likely cancel the awards night again.

32 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

So the expectation in August was that we'd be happy with 17 goals by Easter?

If he had played every game, I’d say that was a bit underwhelming. But he hasn’t. He’s scored 1 in 2 for a side that creates very little. That’s decent- and to answer your question, yes he meets expectation at 1 in 2. 

35 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Which goal/s has he scored that made you think, blimey that was good?

Some strikers are scorers of great goals and some are great goal scorers. He is the latter. I can’t remember one worldie, but I can remember his movement, his calmness and his poise in front of goal. All of which are levels above anyone else at the club. 

38 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

How many games has he really stood out in

Plenty. 

40 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

dragged his team along in?

This does need to improve. 

Chesterfield fan in peace

Having done a 6 year stretch at this level it took us so long to get the formula right.

Paul Cooks when he came back constantly referred to our squad being too big, having 35 players and we've pretty much got through this season with a 22 man squad. I think I recognise that a little bit with you guys having a big squad this season. Trimming off the fat and getting quality in each area was key. We had a competitive budget this season but it was only the 3rd biggest in the league. (We only had two forward all season 😂)

The other thing I've noticed is there doesn't seem to be any big egos anymore in the side. Cook has said this is the best set of personalities he's ever managed. When we first dropped to this level I can remember us signing players who were looking for one last pay day and thats never good. You need a mix of experience but still with the desire to do well (Grigg/Naylor/Jones) and the young upcoming (Dobra/Berry/Hobson)

The other thing you've got to do is get yourself out of the mindset that we should be beating (Altrincham/Bromley/Solihull) because of your clubs former football league history. We had a period of time where we showed a lack of respect for these sort of sides as players as well as fans. We regularly got frustrated to the point, that the players froze in home games and we relied on our away form to not drop out the league into the Conference North. Cook and Danny Webb prepare for every game as a tough one and that no one will be a push over.

The leagues also improved massively in terms of the brand of football whilst we've been down here and nowadays teams are more likely to get out of here playing good football. The other thing is that you'll get out this league by attacking we have conceded more than Kidderminster but have already scored 100 goals.

Prior to Cook coming in we were top of the league under James Rowe but the entire team was built around the goals of one player Kabongo Tshimanga who scored over 50 percent of the teams goals but, he then broke his leg and we had a terrible second half of the season. Cooks re-dressed that balance and most of the midfield have got 15-20 goal contributions (goals and assists) each this season. You've signed Norwood but, the balance seems to be wrong elsewhere.

You need pace as well, as some teams will be difficult to break down. Last season we kept the ball well but struggled to break teams down. We signed Colclough last season and Berry this season who are quick and we've used this to our advantage by rotating the front four to bring on quick players to run at tired legs late on.

The good news is that once you get it right, getting out of this league is completely rejuvenating for your club. It's an amazing feeling to finally get out of the most difficult league in the country!

14 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Hopefully someone like a Macclesfield might be daft enough to take Norwood, get two strikers in with those wages.

😂

Get rid of our top scorer to add two more to what is already a bloated squad of strikers on the books.  You can do better than this.

7 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

😂

Get rid of our top scorer to add two more to what is already a bloated squad of strikers on the books.  You can do better than this.

Gonna end up finishing 9th with a striker earning 5k a week, epic fail.

15 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Gonna end up finishing 9th with a striker earning 5k a week, epic fail.

Norwood’s goal tally is commendable, he is feeding off scraps in a weak as piss side that creates absolutely fuck all, without his goals we would probably be fighting relegation.

The epic fail as you so put it was not signing a decent supply line!!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Norwood’s goal tally is commendable, he is feeding off scraps in a weak as piss side that creates absolutely fuck all, without his goals we would probably be fighting relegation.

The epic fail as you so put it was not signing a decent supply line!!

Take away the penalties and it will be what, 12-13 goals? Commendable seems a strong word.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Take away the penalties and it will be what, 12-13 goals? Commendable seems a strong word.

Spin it whichever way you like, check where we’d be without his goals….and another thing, he never looks like missing a penalty either!

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Don’t forget to take away all goals he’s scored in the box, because anyone could do that. So he’s actually on 0.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Spin it whichever way you like, check where we’d be without his goals….and another thing, he never looks like missing a penalty either!

Well we'd be about 8-9 goals worse off, hardly a deal breaker.

Edited by deyres42

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Don’t forget to take away all goals he’s scored in the box, because anyone could do that. So he’s actually on 0.

Good point you make there, McAlney used to crack them in from all distances, we could do with one like him.

I’m sure he would have liked to enjoy his twilight years in professional football.

Would you enjoy playing in this shambles of a set up? I certainly wouldn’t!

TBH…..If we don’t start playing to his strengths it’s pointless him being here!

I actually think he would take a pay cut given the chance to join the right club!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

We need a keeper, rightback, left footed centre back, new midfield, a couple of decent wide men.

Not going to happen though as we have a number of dead legs contracted through next season and anyone decent is likely to be off as they don't want to embarrass themselves playing in a 7-1-2 any longer to compensate for our poor keeper and defence and none existent midfield. 

We know your views ffs 🙄. You don’t have to post them in every thread. Getting like someone else on here 🙄🙄

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’m sure he would have liked to enjoy his twilight years in professional football.

Would you enjoy playing in this shambles of a set up? I certainly wouldn’t!

TBH…..If we don’t start playing to his strengths it’s pointless him being here!

I actually think he would take a pay cut given the chance to join the right club!

No one held a gun to his head to come here..

Is the club a shambles or just in a rebuilding phase? 

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

No one held a gun to his head to come here..

Is the club a shambles or just in a rebuilding phase? 

On the field I would suggest it’s a shambles rebuilding or not!

• Like 1