Shopping List For Next Season

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Without wanting to start the whole Norwood debate up again I agree he's not been the success I imagined and at times I've been disappointed, now a big factor in that will be the way we set up but surely for the money he's on he can do a little more than get involved if it's on a plate.

Some claim on here he's still our standout player but he is unlikely to be anywhere near the player of the season awards despite bagging around 20 goals playing with pub players. Thinking about it the seasons been that shite they will likely cancel the awards night again.

I was going to vote for him but he's got a a prior engagement that night so has asked to be ruled out.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, deyres42 said:

He hasn't scored from open play this calendar year, one can only imagine the amount of stick Nuttall would be receiving in the same instance.

FFS…Don’t bring that useless twat into the equation again!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, JoeP said:

No one held a gun to his head to come here..

Is the club a shambles or just in a rebuilding phase? 

No it's not a shambles we are in a rebuilding phase on and off the pitch.

The off the pitch rebuilding has included alot of easy wins, opening the fans bar, opening the North Stand, a prayer room, new benches in the dug out, and just an attempt to engage with the fans and treat them like adults rather than talk down to them like the failed policeman did. The wins on the pitch imparticularly the goal of promotion is significantly harder. 

Some of the hyperbolic language used on here such as us being "a shambles" or "an embarrassment" is just pathetic petty and juvenile.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

"a shambles" or "an embarrassment"

How would you describe our last two away performances?

Our display at Aldershot is just about the worst I have ever seen!

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

No it's not a shambles we are in a rebuilding phase on and off the pitch the off the pitch rebuilding has included alot of easy wins, opening the fans bar, opening the North Stand, a prayer room new benches in the dug out and just an attempt to engage with the fans and treat them like adults rather than talk down to them like the failed policeman did. The wins on the pitch imparticularly the goal of promotion is significantly harder. 

Some of the hyperbolic language used on here such as us being "a shambles" or "an embarrassment" is just pathetic petty and juvenile.

Spot on. 

I see both sides. With the money spent, should at be playing better? Yes, probably. Is the fact we're not a reason for James Norwood to get the hump or abuse be directed from the fans at a team in the play-off shake-up after a disappointing performance? No.

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Dissapointing. Embarrassment or a shambles is being twatted 5 or 6 nil.

How many times have you said this is the worst you have ever seen? I bet its atleast once a season. Everytime we lost the sun came up the following morning and the world didn't fall apart. 

I think that while we can still reach the play offs it's more likely that we won't reach them which is dissapointing considering the financial outlay that we've seen abd the talent in the squad. But if that's the case so be it we can regroup and go again next season. Knowone has died we don't suffer and the world will keep turning.

The day will come like what happened to Chesterfield last Saturday where we will get a big promotion party either at Boundary Park or Wembley.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

How many times have you said this is the worst you have ever seen? I bet its atleast once a season.

Did you go to that game? Did you stream it?

That 2nd half display was unbelievable and I’m just glad I didn’t have to go into work afterwards as I would have been slaughtered.

4 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Then you weren't at Fylde, or Bromley (x2).

I was at Fylde and we were beaten by a far better team who played us off the park.

Aldershit were terrible but it looked like we’d never been shown how to play the game….the 2nd half was almost like watching junior football!

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Did you go to that game? Did you stream it?

That 2nd half display was unbelievable and I’m just glad I didn’t have to go into work afterwards as I would have been slaughtered.

Why do you work in an abattoir?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

25 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Then you weren't at Fylde, or Bromley (x2).

and the there’s Southend away…😱

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

and the there’s Southend away…😱

Don't forget Hendon at home or Kidderminster at home. 

This team has thrown in too many stinkers and that's why it more than likely won't go up.

However we are going to get back to the football league at some point and some of those players who haven't performed on the pitch and in training for us this season won't be on that journey with us. I'm not going to hate them for that, lifes too short.

40 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Poor ? Or is that not dramatic enough ? 

Absolutely not…..We’ve been poor for large parts of the season, Aldershot was off the scale!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoeP said:

Dallas hasn't even scored yet!  And Chesterfield aside he hasn't exactly shined particularly brightly... 

- Consistant goalscorer for Solihull, enough to make a promotion-chasing L1 club think he's got something.
- He's been loaned out, deprived of minutes under the belt and injured. Bound to be a bit rusty, given that.
- The Chesterfield match showed us what potential he has if you play to his strengths, on the floor. He deserved a goal.

• Like 2

Me. I know, let's start a shopping list thread, to stick in players who we think offers improvement and could be realistic targets.

OWTB: Fuck it. Let's moan about Norwood / how shit we've been for 4+ pages.

Never change, forum. Never change. 😂

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Wardie said:

Not if he got a better quality of service in the higher leagues, which I suspect he did. We can all speculate about player-targets the club needs, getting them to sign is another thing altogether. Some of the deadwood will still be here next season.

Yeah this is a key part, I can’t imagine our budget will be as big as it is/was this season given the funding is reduced next year but imagine we’ll still be quite high up there in this league. 

The problem is shifting some of the dead wood. You’d imagine the majority of the 2024 lads will get released, the only ones in with a shout to be extended are Hogan, Green, Fondop and McGahey (I know…but MM seems to rate him) you’d imagine. Personally I think we will offer Hogan and Green deals and release the rest. I think MM will think he can get a tune out of Green, particularly if he’s cheap. 

However you still have so many lads signed up next year who probably won’t be used: 

Norman

Sutton

Sheron (will probably be used but is a big talking point)

Shelton

Ward

Nuttall

Reid

Willoughby

I could see us paying a couple off in summer which again will use budget. Reckon a team will take a punt on Willoughby as well but it won’t be easy shifting some of this lot on

Edited by aaronoafc

On what we need, I echo some of the earlier comments before this became another Norwood thread.

We need a solid RB, one who is actually a RB and good enough to start every week in a promotion chasing side. 

2 wingers and at least another CM, probably 2. M

I reckon we’ll pay Reid off and release Fondop so you’d imagine we’ll need another striker. I would probably go for Dallas, his history suggests he has what it takes and I think he has shown glimpses when we have actually tried to play football. He was outstanding against Chesterfield. Again it depends on finances as I bet he’s on 3-4k a week at Barnsley and do we want/need another striker taking up a huge amount of the budget. Depends how many we can shift probably. 

If Fondop goes though you do need a big man up front ideally. 

Rb, 2 wingers, atleast 1 CM and a striker would be my priorities. 

32 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Me. I know, let's start a shopping list thread, to stick in players who we think offers improvement and could be realistic targets.

OWTB: Fuck it. Let's moan about Norwood / how shit we've been for 4+ pages.

Never change, forum. Never change. 😂

One of the issues we've had is the signings made post-January have all been good on paper, but they're all players either coming off the back of an injury or a lack of gametime who we've needed to hit the ground running. I think there's enough quality in the squad to build upon with a full summer behind them, but I think it's evident we badly need some players with composure who are capable of playing through/breaking down teams. We also don't really have any players capable of beating a man. 

I would keep:

Hudson

Hobson

Sutton

Raglan

Kitching 

Conlon

Sheron

Norwood

Dallas (if perm available)

Hammond

Green

But on the proviso that a few of them are no more than squad players. 

We would probably need two ball playing midfielders in the Matt Palmer mould, two new FBs, two wingers and a centre half. Simple really 🤥

• Like 1

The worry for me is that we seem to have given Mellon and Brabin the keys to the castle and moved away from what we were trying to do with a head coach and head of recruitment - you can question the quality of player and the staff brought in but the idea itself was the right one IMO

So when the inevitable sacking happens we are going to be left with a load of players on the wrong side of 30 who the next manager probably isn't going to like the look of.

• Like 1

I think the biggest headache will be getting the players contracted beyond this season off the books who aren't needed.

You would imagine the likes of Willoughby, Nuttall, Shelton, Ward and Reid have already been told to find new clubs. If we can do that then that's going to give us abit more leeway interns of bringing players in.

Edited by GlossopLatic

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The worry for me is that we seem to have given Mellon and Brabin the keys to the castle and moved away from what we were trying to do with a head coach and head of recruitment - you can question the quality of player and the staff brought in but the idea itself was the right one IMO

So when the inevitable sacking happens we are going to be left with a load of players on the wrong side of 30 who the next manager probably isn't going to like the look of.

Nah, the manager's got to be the one choosing which players to sign. 

The post-sacking load of players that a new manager might not want is just a problem that's occurred since the dawn of time. Well, football. 

12 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think the biggest headache will be getting the players contract beyond this season of the books who aren't needed. You would imagine the likes of Willoughby, Nuttall, Shelton, Ward and Reid have already been told to find new clubs. If we can do that then that's going to give us abit more leeway interns of bringing players in.

There’s a chance that Willoughby might stay at Ayr as he’s had a fair amount of game time and has scored a goal or two but he’s a fair way from home and might not want to move to Scotland permanently. 
I don’t think there’s a cat in hell’s chance of Nuttall staying with Cheltenham, he’s getting very little game time and is enduring the wrath of the supporters already!

Unfortunately, I think we’re stuck with him for another season.😞

As for Ward, Shelton & Reid I think we may have to offer them some sort of settlement to encourage them to move on.

We really need a dozen or so off the books enabling us to bring in 4 or 5 quality signings giving us a squad of 25, which IMO would be more than enough for this league.